Cox mpg4 transition and Tivo obsolescence

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by duhmel, Oct 24, 2020.

1. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005

Advertisements

I was speaking to a Cox cablecard support rep and he mentioned that Cox was in the midst of rolling out mpg4 across the country and that all Tivo boxes through Roamio Series 1 would not be able to receive live TV after the conversion. He said that it was scheduled for Orange County, California in April 2021 but was underway in the east coast. Is it true that Series 3HD, Premieres and Roamio Series 1 will be useless in the near future?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio is not Series 1, its Series 5. Unless they give out Tuning adapters, then you will not receive these MPG4 channels.
    Series 3 (except for the OLED model) can record MPEG4, and play them, but cannot transfer.

3. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    I meant Version 1 of the Roamios.

I have Cable Cards and Tuning adapters now on my Series 3 and Premiere models to get the SDV channels. He said that Premieres would be obsolete after the rollout due to they not being able to receive mpg4 channels while the newer Tivos would be OK because they can handle the mpeg4 encryption. My Series 3 is dying so I'm not that concerned about it but we have two Premieres that I'd like to be able to use.

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i'm not saying the rep was right or wrong, but i'd wait and see before buying or renting new equipment, because a piece of the story is missing. as mentioned above, series 3, premieres, and roamios can handle mpg4 just fine (comcast transitioned from mpg2 to mpg4 for most all channels ages ago).

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

The rep (if accurately cited) was wrong, because those models (except the OLED S3, as noted) DO support MPEG4 (or more precisely, H.264). It's possible that the rep was even more wrong than described here, and the actual change is something more / different than switching to H.264. But if it is only that, then those models should still work.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How can I tell the difference between different versions of Roamio boxes?

NorthAlabama and unclehonkey like this.
  7. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Looks like a false alarm.

I got back with Cox Cable card support and this rep looked up the letter that had been sent out to people in Atlanta and said that there was no mention of Tivo models that wouldn't be supported. Documentation on the Tivo website supports the observations above

BOLT Series UESs, Roamio Series DVRs, Premiere Series DVRs: Compatible with MPEG4. No change is required.
    TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL: DVRs with a TSN prefix of 652 or 658 are now compatible with MPEG-4 format.​

NorthAlabama likes this.
  8. kemscm

kemscm New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I am in Tulsa, OK and got a letter today. It gave me a test channel -- I tuned to it and could not see it. It says I may need to update my Tivo box to MPEG4 -- how on earth do I do that?
    I already have a tuning adapter. I have a Tivo Premiere. I also have an older Tivo that I guess I'll just abandon and get a channel box from Cox...I always have trouble connecting it back to my network after a power outage anyhow.

9. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    You should be able to get mpeg4 with a Tivo Premiere.

kemscm likes this.
  10. Renderman

Renderman New Member

Nov 15, 2020
    I would like to know this too.

11. Renderman

Renderman New Member

Nov 15, 2020
    I am in the exact same boat. Roamios are suposed to support Mpeg4 according to my online research. But the test channel 1987 (that the cox letter said to try to check for mpeg4 support) does not work on my roamio. I told the tivo to connect to the service to check for updates and I rebooted the tivo and the tuning adapter. Still test channel 1987 does not work. It just displays:

"Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)"

Do I have a version of Roamio that is not supported? How do i tell what version I have? Is there anything else can I try?

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    @duhmel has chosen not to answer.

13. Renderman

Renderman New Member

Nov 15, 2020

So i contacted tivo and they said that all series 4 and up devices support MPEG4. So all versions of tivo roamio are supported since they are series 5. So the fact that this text cox cannel does not work is probably due to having an older cable card. Of course when i contact cox they do not know anything about anything without threatening to charge me $50 to sent an agent to my house. Nope that is not going to happen! All they could offer me for free was to go to the cox store and swap the cable card. Even then they dont know if that will help. They could not even tell me what i was supposed to see on that channel. But the cox store is not open on sunday so i guess i can go on monday... seems like a lot of hassel just to find out that maybe thwy forgot to activate the channel. I might wait a couple of weeks to see of i actually start to lose channels before going through this trouble. I am starting to hate cox they cannot help unless you pay for the monthly plan or pay $50 a pop to have them come out. What happened to treating the customer right?

Regardless if I find out a new cable card works i will let everyone know.

14. kemscm

kemscm New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    @Renderman Thanks. I will wait to see what you find out. I had also planned to just wait and see what happened with that test channel 1987. (You did save me the trouble of rebooting my Premiere and the Tuning Adapter and I am glad of that :) )

15. I.I.

I.I. New Member

Nov 15, 2020
    Got the same letter from Tulsa Cox. I have a Bolt with an old M cable card from my Roamio replacement since Cox had no new ones that worked. I get the same error message on 1987.

16. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I’m with Cox Tulsa too and have the same problem with Ch 1987 on my 2017 TiVo Bolt and older Premiere Elite, which has been described here by other TiVo owners who are Cox Tulsa subscribers. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

17. masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I too am in the same situation in Tulsa. I have 2 Roamios and a Premiere with same V53 error on channel 1987. My fear is that cox is moving away from cable card support and will not be offering compatible cards with the switch over. I plan to wait and see what happens. If Cox no longer supports CC and therefore tivos, I will move towards streaming only services such as YouTubeTV and drop Tivo all together after 15+ years.

18. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I got rid of Cox TV in Broken Arrow back in January. My neighbor still has it and the 4 tuner Roamio I pointed him to back in 2014. I asked him yesterday about it and he said he got the notice and checked whatever the channel is that was noted and it was coming in fine at the time.

I don’t know for sure but assume he still has the same Motorola M card and Motorola/Arris tuning adapter from 2014 when I helped him get set up.

19. masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    This information is helpful. Looks like I need to check CC type, but since my installation was in 2019 I would think that shouldn't be an issue . Thanks!

20. Louisie

Louisie New Member

Wednesday
    Hi, We have Tivo Premiere XL4. We got the Cox letter also, and Test 1, Channel 1987 had the problem with signal (V53) in November. Then lo and behold, today, we have C-SPAN on 1987. Apparently Cox fixed test channel, and/or completed the update. By the way, our Tivo and Cable Card are about 6-7 years old.