Cox MLB and NHL Center Ice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Idealsol, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Idealsol

Idealsol Member

Oct 6, 2013

Advertisements

I'm a Cox Orange County subscriber.
    I am considering dumping the cox dvr for a roamio but need to know if the cablecard will let me view and, importantly, fully record my subscription sports services ( MLB and hockey ). Locally, these are channels 671-684

Some information I've seen would indicate I can tune these stations via cablecard but perhaps only record for 1 1/2 hours

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    CableCards allow you to view and record all linear channels, so I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Only record for 1.5 hours? Most curious. I'd like to see a link to that to see what they are talking about.

I don't think it would apply in your case.

4. Idealsol

Idealsol Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I would be hard pressed to find a link, but what I saw was talking about PPV, which *might* be how cox technically classifies MLB and center ice. It was PPV's that seemed to have a 1 1/2 hour recording limit

5. wickerbill

wickerbill Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Tulsa, OK

Advertisements

Any reason why you subscribe to the Cox MLB package instead of just getting mlb.tv? TiVo has an app on the DVR that lets you stream the mlb.tv games easily through the TiVo.

6. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    I have NHL Center Ice and Time Warner with a Roamio Plus. The NHL Center Ice channels appears as regular channels that can be recorded for any number of hours. It's just like subscribing to HBO.

7. Idealsol

Idealsol Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks wickerbill

I was considering that option. As I currently don't have a tivo, my first thoughts were just seeing if my current cox subscriptions would work with tivo. Also, I don't think? I can get the NHL Center Ice package except thru cable or satellite

I did get someone at Cox today tell me I can record these sports packages as they are classified as PPV/subscription as opposed to just PPV

Last time I looked at MLB.tv ( years ago ) it wasn't very good, slow and frequent rebuffers even on a decent connection. I assume it must be much better now

8. Idealsol

Idealsol Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Dallas stars fan?
    Thanks for reply, per cox today it appears that cox will work the same way as TW

9. Mar 2, 2015 #9 of 10
    wickerbill

wickerbill Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    MLB.tv works really well for me. I watch a lot of games on it with rare problems. If you have a roku, apple tv, or some of the game consoles they will stream it too. They also give you free access to the phone and tablet apps if you get the premium mlb.tv package. I'm also pretty sure it's cheaper than what Cox will sell you. You also get to choose the feed you want to watch so if you're a fan of a team you can always watch that team's local broadcast instead of only being able to watch the home team broadcast.

10. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    Boston Bruins