COX Copy Protection - Let's Be Heard. SIGN THE PETITION HERE :)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by zowwie85, Dec 19, 2011.

1. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
  2. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks to those of you who have signed!

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Windmill tilting in the wind IMO, but this problem should be resolved (for MRV, at least) when streaming is finally enabled sometime this century.

4. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    That may be, but I wouldn't be so sure streaming is a "when." Individual users don't seem to be TiVo's target customer anymore.

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    MRS is already enabled on Suddenlink, Charter, and RCN. We will have it early next year.

6. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, it is enabled for those four large customers. The people who happen to have TiVo units issued by those companies do not own them, if I recall correctly they are leased.

I don't think for a second that TiVo views my individual account the same way. Money talks. That's a whole-home DVR solution that those four companies have bought into. Cox is visibly absent from the "cable companies offering TiVo" club and they've already decided on another whole-home DVR.

Here's what I think will happen: the TiVo units explicitly sold as OTA-only are most likely to get streaming because its controversy-free. (Yes, I know they can do transfers already :) )TiVo units that happen to have the channel lineups for those four cable companies may get it - although they might have contractual rights to veto it to maintain their lease fee cash cow. TiVo units on any other system may or may not get the feature at the whim of whatever negotiation is pending behind the scenes.

To my knowledge, TiVo hasn't come out and said YES all Premiere/Elite units will get this feature. I concede that your conjecture is easier to accept than mine, but that's all it is.

That said, I hope I eat my words.

7. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    @tivodesign TiVo Margret Schmidt
    Streaming will come to Premiere.

http://twitter.com/#!/tivodesign/status/137622062452846592

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    TiVo still makes way more money from retail TiVo customers. They have deals in place with Comcast and Cox to offer retail TiVo's with access to the cable operator's VOD. You will still see Cox listed on TiVo's web site as a partner and it was confirmed again in July that they are working on the Cox retail solution. I do believe we will see Comcast before Cox.

I don't believe any negotiation is pending or required for MRS over local networks. Streaming in fact is probably more controversy free than MRV.

As you can see from the high-level exec at TiVo, she has confirmed that streaming is coming. I believe TiVo is worried about performance issues bringing streaming to retail due to the unreliability of customer networks. They are probably putting some software hooks in the 16.x build to identify whether or not a customers network is capable of supporting MRS.

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You seem to have way more faith in what they'll deliver than most on this board. Twitters from Margaret are 100% believable now, eh?

Regardless, if they deliver anything in Q1 it will be TWO years since the box was released. The net of this is that once again, the hardware was released WAY before the software was ready. Streaming should have been in from day one, because they knew of all the CP issues that people were having. And we will keep wondering why that has to be the case, and why Tivo doesn't bother to explain what they're releasing.

10. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    i.e. in TiVo's mind they've made good on the promise to deliver MRS to the Premiere. But only those three big customers have it.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The DVR functionality of the Premiere has worked very well since its release in March of 2010. There have been new features released along the way to retail including Pandora, Hulu Plus and the iPad/iPhone app.

Don't get me wrong. There is no doubt that TiVo has had to re-architect the Premiere software for better performance and new features like MRS. If we get the release I'm expecting next year it will once again be the best DVR on the market.

12. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Got all that but still can not use the HDUI because it slow. 3 hrs shows take 3 hrs and 15 min to play by the time you wait for tivo green circle stops. In SDUI mode the Tivo reboots. Looks like they should fixed the slowness before fixing the Hulu, Ipad/ipod, and pandore. MRS can wait also.

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL if you only used the SDUI, sure. But the HDUI was (and is) nowhere near complete, and as I said streaming is WAY overdue because of all the folks affected by CP. Go talk to the folks stuck with Time Warner Cable if you don't believe me.

I agree that new stuff has been added, but their effort to get stuff working that should have been done at release is glacial.