Cox Communications - No more Cablecards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mgalin, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Mgalin

Mgalin Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Called Cox Communications today to try to upgrade my service from 150MB to their 1G service. They told me, they are retiring cablecards, and I was currently grandfathered. Any changes to my service, would cause me to lose cablecards entirely and rendering my tivo's to the Ebay abyss - is this for real? anyone?

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    It is not for real. Putting cablecards out to pasture would be big news...very big news around here. This may be want Cox wants to happen but they must serve their master who is the FCC. The FCC is who you should complain to. You can always tell Cox you plan to file an FCC complaint and shortly Cox will magically find a way to make your change while keeping your cablecard. Until some major action takes place in Congress we are still holding the cards when it comes to cablecards. Even when they go we will have a couple years to adjust.

osu1991 likes this.
  3. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Nope. Cox reps are explicitly trained to lie.

osu1991 likes this.
  4. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Those 3 guys who work as the FCC are in quarantine! :rolleyes:

5. wendlan

wendlan Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Not Cox, but you can read my similar story with Suddenlink: Warning for Suddenlink customer considering Tivo/CableCards in 2020

I share it as cable companies in 2020 seemed to have totally forgotten about CableCards (and the end CSRs aren't lying - they just have zero information or training), and this sadly pushed me to leave Tivo.

mschnebly likes this.