Cox Communications discontinuing support of TiVo devices?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mjgolden, Sep 12, 2015.

1. mjgolden

mjgolden New Member

Sep 12, 2015

Advertisements

I recently upgraded to a Roamio Plus. Got it all set up with my Cox Communications (Northern Virginia) cable, using the Cox provided tuner box and cablecard.

There was one channel that was supposed to be included in my channel line up that was not coming in. (Error message V58). So I spent the next week going through the mind-numbing h*ll that is Cox Support. Email requests, online chat, telephone, escalation to "Tier 2 customer support," persistent followup when promised call backs weren't received, moronic answers that indicated no one had actually read the details provided in explaining my problems and the steps that had already been taken to try and resolve it.

So they finally decided to send a tech to my home. He came last night, took one look and said: "Oh. You are using TiVo. Cox is in the process of upgrading its digital network and by calendar year end, will no longer support TiVo devices. You can expect to start having channels stop coming in. Nothing with tuner boxes or cablecards will be supported. You will have to drop TiVo and get Cox's DVR if you want to receive HD channels."

I have tried to get confirmation from Cox that this is the case, but that will take weeks.

Is anyone else hearing this about Cox? Did I really just invest in a new box and lifetime service for a device that is never going to work with my cable provider?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Tech has no idea what he's talking about. Cable card support is still the law of the land. You have nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    He is full of you know what. Heck, Cox just added support for On Demand through Tivo so yes they support it.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...

Advertisements

It may also be that they are converting to mpeg4 and he thinks that TIVos don't support that. He is partly correct - You need a Series 4 (Premiere) or later. Your Roamio will be fine.

More likely though, he is just an idiot.

6. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ

Attached Files:

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I laughed at the pure crap this idiot poured out. In fact, in the recent news, Cox has embraced it's relationship with Tivo and you can look forward to VOD in the near future. The guy had it almost 100% upside down. I know you are reluctant to do this now, but I would seriously recommend that you file a complaint with the FCC.
    https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    what channel didn't come in?

9. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The tech was either intentionally lying to you or just incompetent. CableCards will still have to be supported by cable companies for years to come. Regardless, if you can't get any solution to your problem going through the normal process, then it's time to submit a formal complaint to the FCC. That usually gets the cable company to finally get someone competent to contact you and resolve your CableCard problem.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us