Cox CableCard Success Story

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HIHZia, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1 of 11
    HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Advertisements

Cox OKC was scheduled to come out Sunday 6/3 between 5-7 to do my CC install.

Much to my suprise the tech knocked on the door right at 5:00 and as he came in said, "Let me guess, a TiVo?"

35 minutes later he was gone and I had two working CC's and all my channels coming in just like they're supposed to.

I'm a very happy camper. :D

:up: :up: :up:

2. Jun 4, 2007 #2 of 11
    NoVASeries3

NoVASeries3 New Member

May 3, 2007
    I had the same experience with Cox Fairfax. I've also switched some lineups since then and everything has worked well.

I think it's important that some of us who have had good experiences with CableCARD should post as well. I was so scared reading these boards that I almost didn't buy an S3. Bad stories here outnumber good by a large margin.

Thanks for starting the thread, HIHZia.

Edit: Fairfax, VA.

3. Jun 4, 2007 #3 of 11
    gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Another success here in Santa Barbara, CA. The Cox tech showed up on-time and had 2 working Scientific Atlanta cards in about 45 minutes or so. I've been using my TiVo S3 since January and haven't had any Cablecard glitches.

The only complaint I have is that Cox tried to charge me $60 to install EACH Cablecard. $60 for a single Cablecard approaches gouging (but that's what Cox charges here for any service call) but an additional $60 to essentially do nothing is a complete rip off. So I'm glad I was able to have them waive the additional $60.

Considering that if I want cable installed by Cox, they charge $60 for the first TV and $10 per additional TV. How they can justify $60 for an additional Cablecard seems ridiculous to me considering it would take them longer to run a cable to another TV (for which they charge only $10).

FWIW, if FiOS ever shows up in Santa Barbara, I'd switch from Cox in a heartbeat. I've had too many negative experiences with Cox to want to remain a customer, although the Cablecard installation, thankfully, was not one of them.

4. Jun 4, 2007 #4 of 11
    Steve_Martin

Steve_Martin Grandminion

Jul 18, 2004
    Orange...
    Me too in OC (though my CC is in a TV).

5. Jun 4, 2007 #5 of 11
    gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City

Advertisements

It seems that Cox OKC may actually be figuring out what is going on with CableCARDs and S3s. When they did my installation, shortly after the first of the year, one of the cards was dead out of the box and the telephone conversation between the tech who came to my house and the tech at the headend didn’t inspire a lot of confidence, although they did manage to get a substitute card from another tech who was working nearby and got me up and running in a few hours. The good news, though, is that my cards’ configuration has held up with few intervening glitches.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #6 of 11
    Droobiemus

Droobiemus PSWii60

Sep 30, 2004
    Might as...
    Yay, this is reassuring. I'll have to do the cable card install sometime this week, depending on when my Series 3 gets here. I hope I get the same good luck you had. :)

7. Jun 4, 2007 #7 of 11
    Droobiemus

Droobiemus PSWii60

Sep 30, 2004
    Might as...
    Just set up my cable card installation appointment since my S3 got here today! Set up was extremely easy... here's hoping the installation on Thursday will be just as easy! :up: :up:

8. Jun 4, 2007 #8 of 11
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    It's nice to see that some people had an easy time with CC installs. It took me three visits from three guys who had never seen a TiVo before I got it set up right. I was kind of dreading the install of my second S3 this summer, but hopefully more of these guys have seen TiVos by now.

9. Jun 4, 2007 #9 of 11
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    At least there are some good experience stories to tell. I'm hoping that when I have someone come out later this week or next that I have a good experience also. But, I'm mentally prepared for a bad experience just the same!

10. lordargent

lordargent real ultimate power

Nov 12, 2002
    Ditto in San Diego, got the tivo friday evening. Called cox. Tech was here monday afternoon.

/most of the 35 minutes was the tech being on hold to activate the cards

11. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I have already posted this, but the FIOS guy that did my install said that he was doing 2 or 3 Tivo S3s a week here in the Dallas area. He came in, had the cards, was faster on the Tivo screens than anyone I've ever seen (and I'm good), flipped open his laptop and had everything provisioned and running in about 25-30 minutes. That was just before Christmans and no problems since.

Al