Cox Cable reception problem, Cox says it's a Tivo prob, Tivo says cable prob

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chaka7969, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I am having the same problem on all three of my Tivo's: Roamio Plus, Bolt and Series 4. Whenever I tune into either HBO2 or HBO ZONE all of the other tuners stop receiving and I receive the on screen message that I am not authorized to receive that channel (V-58). If I am recording something and I tune into HBO2 or HBO ZONE, the recording stops and the picture freezes.

I contacted Tivo. A diagnostic was run on the cable cards, a reboot of both the DVR and Tuning Adapter was made. Her comment was that it may be a defective TA. The cable company rep (via phone call) felt it was a Tivo problem and scheduled a tech visit. The two techs that check the system both concurred that it was a Tivo problem.

I am completely baffled. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would love to get a copy of the cable card diagnostic.

I'm baffled too. You might add your location to your profile. Someone may be near you with experience on your cable feed.

All three of your boxes have two things in common. All were programmed by the same company and all three have the same headend. IOW, it's not you. But that doesn't help, sorry.

3. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Thanks Joe, I am not sure if it was an actual diagnostic performed by Tivo. It was all done over the phone. The Tivo rep. asked for Cable Card info which I read off while accessing the Cable Card Menu in settings. The Cox Cable techs did not perform any diagnostics. They told me Cable Cards are very rare in this area (Portsmouth, Rhode Island). I don't want to denigrate them but they don't have much knowledge about Tivo's with cable cards.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Few cable companies are good with cable cards. As to further help, I need to know if it's a Motorola or SA/Cisco. This is the Cable Card Status from Motorola:
    ccStatus.JPG
    I have more screen shots, but only for a Moto M-Card. As for being rare, my cable company only has two cable card users. But they were well taught.

5. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    It's a Motorola, same as your's.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here are some more pictures, maybe something will help:
    ccCA.JPG ccNET.JPG ccPair.JPG cablecard.JPG
    Those are screen shots of my Roamio. Important items: VCT ID: is non-zero, VAL: V 0x0n where n is non-zero. Channel list received is Yes.

Hope this helps. BTW, I never used a TA. I can't help with that.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  7. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Joe, Unfortunately you are going way above my head. Those numbers and terms are Greek to me. Even if there was something wrong with my cable card numbers I wouldn't know how to correct them. But thanks for trying to help me.

JoeKustra likes this.
  8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How is the tuning adapter connected?

Is it:
    1) coax<-> Tuning adaptor's IN and Tuning adapter's OUT <-> Tivo coax

-Or

2) Coax <-> Splitter <->Tuning adapter IN
    Other leg of splitter <-> Tivo

I believe you have #1.

9. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    yes it is #1. I didn't think #2 was possible. Should I try it?

10. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I tried #2. No changes.

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You could try #2, with nothing connected to the Tuning adapter's OUT.

I wonder if they used a single-stream card? Which it should not work on Tivos after Series 3.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I believe all the TiVo’s once worked and now don’t so it wouldn’t be a wrong card.

Definitely a Cox issue as all three of theTiVo’s wouldn’t have this same odd problem at the same time. It must be an authorization issue. OP needs to keep after Cox.

13. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for your help. The next time a Cox Cable tech comes to the house I will show him the screen shots that Joe sent, but what is it that he has to do? And yes all of my cards are of the M type.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Do you have the ability to post pictures of all the screens in Diagnostics? I won't understand the TA stuff, but the rest may have something to help. BTW, what's important is in post 6.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you feel brave, pull the USB plug on your TA. Restart the Bolt. Check your channels. What's missing?

16. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    By POST you mean open it on my computer? If so, yes, but what do I say should be done? Most of the Cox Cable techs in this area have no clue what to do. Let me disconnect the TA and do a channel check. Do you think I'm better off w/o it?

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was referring the post # 6 in this thread. I guess you will find out what's missing w/o the TA. I was suggesting you post the pictures. I use an old digital camera, upload to my PC, then upload to the forum. There is a post testing area: Post Testing Area

18. chaka7969

chaka7969 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I'll give it a try.

19. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    It's been my experience that most, "TiVo" (blamed) problems are either the tuning adapter needing a reboot (pull the plug) and/or a rodent chewed coax cable on the utility pole.
    To that end, when the cox tech arrives make sure they check the signal strength and physically inspect the coax cable outside your house.

I have timewarner cable.

20. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015