Cox Cable Digital and Roamio Pro + Mini's

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rgrounds, May 13, 2016.

1. rgrounds

rgrounds Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Glendale AZ

Advertisements

Because of the "Digital Upgrade" turning my Series 2 boxes into bricks because the Cox Mini box has no was to communicate a channel change with my series 2 boxes, I have decided it is time to upgrade on the Tivo side.
    I have asked Cox here in Phoenix, but I am not sure I trust their answer.

If I rent a Cable Card from Cox for my new Roamio Pro will I have access to all of the digital channels that I pay for on all 6 tuners without the need of their so called Cox Mini Box? Also will my TiVo Mini's have access to the all digital signal from the Roamio Pro?

I am waiting for the new "Life Time" deals to hit (I have been told 5/19) so I can call and buy my Roamio Pro + Life Time. (I am a 10 year+ customer) I was told that there are no deals currently but they are coming out with new ones next week. TIA

2. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I have Cox cable in Cleveland area. We did the digital transition last September timeframe.

I have a 6 tuner Roamio with a Cable Card and a Tuning Adapter. I have 4 minis. I have 0 miniboxes and 0 Cox set top boxes. My minis recieve everything my Roamio does.

I recieve every channel that I pay for including the handful of HD premiums for HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, and Epix. There are maybe 1 to 2 hd channels I dont get since they classify them as "Contour Channels" such as HBO Pacific HD but i get all the other HD HBO like 1401, 1403, 1404, 14005, 1407, and 1411, so whats missing is 1402 hbo pacific.

There are other channels i dont get but those are part of the Outdoor Sports 2 Package. Its odd as those other HBO channels are classified as contour channels too but they're included and i get the SD channel 402 (hbo pacific sd). At least thats how they explained the lack of 1402 to me, cause it was a Contour only channel, which is still rubbish but I didnt want to try to educate them and do something better with my time.

I suspect it would be the same in your area too.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. rgrounds

rgrounds Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Glendale AZ
    What is the "Tuning Adapter"?

----

Nevermind - I googled it. So I still will basically need a decoder box of some sort. But it sounds like your setup is exactly what I was hoping for. I don't pay for premium channels, but I do have more than basic I have a digital entertainment tier that I need a set top box that I currently only use to watch / record those channels.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  4. BRiT wtfdotcom

Dec 16, 2015
    The Tuning Adapter is only required for "SDV" switched digital video channels. Not many channels may be SDV now but eventually more and more channels will be migrated to SDV to freeup bandwidth.

Normal channels are always broadcast and sent at fixed frequencies. SDV channels are similar to On Demand in that it is not always broadcast. It is onlbroadcast when someone is watching it. By not always broadcasting hundreds of channels all the time, regardless of no one watching them, allows them to free up frequency bandwidth. This is bandwidth that could be used for faster internet services.

Normal digital channels only need a cable card to tune and decode. The difference with SDV is those channels are not always broadcast over the coax at fixed frequencies. When one wants to view a SDV channel the Tivo uses the TA to send info to the headend cable office, which then responds with a frequency for the TA/CableCard to tune to in order to get that channel tuned.

You might not need the TA for the channels you have in the beginning, but those channels could be migrated to SDV at any later time. I think it's best to get the TA installed and configured up front so you wont be surprised to find out a channel no longer tunes with just a cable card, especially if its before a show or season finale.

5. BRiT wtfdotcom

Dec 16, 2015

Advertisements

Also for Cox, the Tuning Adapter is FREE. There is no rental cost for the device. The only cost is for the cable card rental. In my market it is $1.99 a month.

The TA connects via USB to the Roamio.

6. rgrounds

rgrounds Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Glendale AZ
    Thanks for the info BRiT! Well at least I know to ASK if I need a TA when I am ready to make this jump. I am guessing that I won't need one from what you have stated.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Pretty sure if you get anything more than a Cox mini box can get, you will miss a few channels without the TA. Say you get the Sports Pak or Variety Pak, you will get most of the channels but a couple wont come in. Channels 2-99 will all be fine.

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    you should call and see why you can't get the contour channels we have roamios and receive them without paying for the contour pack.

9. BRiT wtfdotcom

Dec 16, 2015
    Yeah, I know, but it took them forever to get a working Tuning Adapter and system configuration in the first place. I first had attempted a self install but the first TA was dead, wouldnt even power on, and after exchange the second one never seemed to sync with the headend office and those on the phone couldnt do much or suggest anything. I didnt think I would have had 2 dead TAs otherwise I would have swapped it out for a 3rd self install attempt. I then scheduled a tech appointment. It was a 3 hour install because the first tech never did cable card or tivo installs and didnt even have the equipment with him. He called his supervisor and he came out. The supervisor was very knowledgable but didnt have equipment on him cause it wasnt on his normal schedule. They ran an entire new coax run from the street to the house, then had sent the first tech to the office to get "2 cable cards and 3 tuning adapters". He returned with 2 cable cards and 1 tuning adapter. Fortunately as soon as they replaced the TA everything worked instantly. This was all last year around august or september timeframe. At that point i was just glad i even get any HD premium channels.

I did some more checking last night and there is only 1 channel I dont get that is in my packages I pay for and that is HBO HD Pacific timezone feed. The other channels I dont get are part of the Sports 2 Pak that I dont pay for. Those are all channels I dont watch anyways.

I do have NFL HD and MLB HD from this channel pak list.

https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.html?filter-search-select-paks=4

These are channels I dont watch and dont get:

10. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Be careful with the tuning adapter. I'm also in Phoenix and get all I pay for on both my Roamio Pro and the Mini's. I have a tuning adapter but it's important it's connected correctly. DO NOT have the incoming cable come in to the tuning adapter and then out of the tuning adapter to the Roamio. Have the cable come into both boxes using a splitter and not going through the TA. Also, you need to pull the power on the TA about once every three weeks. Let it sit for a minute then power it back on.

DaveB673 likes this.
  11. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I have my cable through the TA to the Tivo and no issues. On 2 Tivos.

12. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    It depends on which TAs you are using. But take my word for it as well as most others in Phoenix and other places, or don't and read the very long thread on TAs with the Roamios. It will explain why in painful detail.

13. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    My TA on Cox is running from splitter but just had 2 more installs this week for my dad and step sister and they both run into the TA and out to the Tivos. That's the standard install diagram in Tulsa at least. Moto cards and TA's. No problems other than 1 TA was dead and there was a trap on my dads line that required a tech visit. Took an hour of calls and various hits for them to finally get everything authorized. Works great other than the hassle of activation.

Sent from my iPhone

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Nobody is disputing the fact that going through a TA works. I'm only saying that's the worst way to connect it because the loss is much higher, especially through a Moto. If you have a good strong signal, it will still work in spite of the huge loss. If your family runs into signal strength issues down the road, the first thing I would do is split before the TA. That will nearly double the signal strength.

15. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Plus, for me when the TA locks up it kills everything when you're wired through it. Some channels still function when it's wired correctly. The funny thing is that now even Cox recommends wiring it with a splitter.

16. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    My signal strenghts are higher through the T/A than using a splitter.
    I sub to the Economy pack, but lots of missing channels are still analog to the TV set, through the TA and split to the TIVO and TV yeilds a better analog signal to the TV set. So my T/As are amplifying the signal.

17. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    If your TA doesn't die once a month then it's not that big of a deal.

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Moto TAs don't amplify the signal.

19. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Cisco Kid, is a friend on mine :D

20. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cox recommends a splitter mainly because of MoCA, Cox only started recommending a splitter when the Elite w/ MoCA first came out, the Cisco will not pass-thru MoCA.

I do not use MoCA and have 3 Cisco TAs, and I use the RF pass-thru because the Cisco TA does boost the signal slightly.

Cox Phoenix has removed all the HD Channels in the Starter and Essential Pak from SDV, so if you only subscribe to the Essential TV Pak you no longer need the Tuning Adapter. Cox did this because the new "all digital" Cox Mini box is not 2-way and cannot access any SDV channels. Cox limits the new Cox Mini box to the Essential Pak and it only tunes to the HD channel, regardless of whether you connect it using HDMI or Coax (to an analog TV). Most every SD channel above the Starter Pak is now SDV.

I believe that most every Cox market has now removed the Starter and Essential HD channels off SDV.