Cox and cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Jun 17, 2020.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Just saw over on Reddit a guy got a letter from Cox. Quote "on June 30 you will lose 30 channels and 30 days later you will lose 180 channels leaving only broadcast channels". The guy has a Bolt which Cox referred to as old equipment. Has something changed in regards to cablecard? I guess if a company goes all IPTV we really have no cablecard rights.

Noelmel likes this.
  2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    A pay TV operator must only support CableCARD for their linear channels that are distributed via QAM. Any channels that are delivered via IPTV (or OTT) don't have to be supplied to CableCARDs. I mean, there's technically no way to even do that, given that CableCARDs only work with QAM.

Comcast has for some time now been quietly introducing upper-tier niche channels that are IPTV-only and therefore unavailable to TiVo users. I've been waiting for the dam to finally burst at Comcast (and predicted it would happen in 2019 or 2020), with the company removing whole blocks of channels from QAM and making them IPTV-only.

As for Cox, I did predict that they would eventually go IPTV-only for everything except what they offer in their Starter TV service (which is just locals, plus government, education and shopping channels, and audio-only Music Choice channels.) That said, I'm not sure I believe this one report that someone posted on Reddit. If they are finally switching over from a dual QAM/IPTV system to IPTV-only (for everything other than what's in the Starter TV package, anyway), I'm skeptical that they would make the transition in such a short time period with so little notice to affected customers. This guy says he only got the letter in June and his entire cable channel line-up will be gone in under 60 days? Wow.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Noelmel likes this.
  3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    The reddit user updated to say

It was because the tuning adapter and card were old and going out of maintenance. They replaced them and gtg.
    I'm guessing that means the letter actually said you need to update your hardware to continue to receive channels.

I'm on Cox and I'm not too worried about the switch to IPTV. When they were going to turn on SDV and require tuning adapters, I think it was about 4 years from when I received the original letter until I needed to get a tuning adapter.

NashGuy likes this.
  4. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Makes sense. And the fact that Cox is using SDV means that there's less pressure on them to dump QAM and reclaim that bandwidth for IP. Still, though, at some point they eventually will. Comcast, OTOH, never adopted SDV so QAM TV continues to hog more bandwidth on their system. Maybe the move to IPTV-only will coincide with the rollout of DOCSIS 4.0 in the coming years...

5. enigmakv

enigmakv New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Phoenix
    Hi All,

I live in Phoenix (using Cox) and my monthly HOA fees include:
    - Cox TV Starter
    - Expanded Service
    - Advanced TV Service
    (Those are straight from my statement)

I have a TiVo Premiere and have been using a Cox Tuning Adapter with it for years. At least once a month, channels start coming up blank or I get "Tuning Adapter" warnings from the TiVo. This has been happening for years.

I don't watch much TV anymore and only record from a few of the "upper" channels like Discovery (Deadliest Catch) and A&E (Better Call Saul). I watch no "packages", sports or "premium" channels.

My question is this... Do I NEED to have the Tuning Adapter given my usage case?

Also, does anyone know WHICH channels in the Phoenix Cox (2020) lineup are actually SDV requiring the Tuning Adapter?

Thanks for any info.

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    as far as I know the only ip on cox is the streaming tv contour to the web and cox on demand on tivo devices the tv boxes are still qam based.

7. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Cox used to denote SDV channels in their line up but I believe they do not anymore.

You can always unplug the tuning adapter for a week and see which channels (if any) you notice are missing.

8. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Cox has started a roll out of IPTV services with cloud dvr. It requires the Panoramic WiFi setup. My nephew and my step sister were both setup with it several months ago. Just the Panoramic modem/router and a couple of wireless clients on the tv's, recordings saved to the cloud.

9. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Just like Comcast began doing in some regions for new TV customers over a year ago. The wireless clients are the Xi6 (4K HDR) and Xi5 (1080p) in Comcast-speak. Cox uses the same equipment, given that they license the X1 platform from Comcast and re-brand it as Contour. (Rogers up in Canada does the same thing for their Ignite IPTV service.)

10. CommunityMember

CommunityMember New Member

May 22, 2020
    Someone who can look at the CableCARD map (using something like a HDHomeRun or Ceton tuner) can figure it out by looking for the frequency of 999MHz(*), but the thing is the list of channels is not a stable configuration, as Cox may move channels from linear to SDV and back again at any time. The only channels that have to stay linear as those channels that are documented to be available on their DTA, which is a one-way device, so cannot do SDV. As I recall, Cox has the list of channels (on their website) marked with some icon (star or carat?) that do not work with a DTA, and all of those additional channels are fair game to be SDV'ed if not now, at some point in the future.

(*) Might be able to disconnect the TA and run a "test channels", too.

11. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    FWIW, someone started a thread on this forum way back in 2012 stating "Cox no longer notes which channels are distributed using Switched Digital Video (SDV) in any market".

Cox SDV Markets & Channel Listings

12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    they are not using it for channels specific like mpeg so tivo users are not affected