Coupon DTV Converter Boxes are getting hard to find on store shelves.....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mike500, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Upstate...

Advertisements

I went to three WalMarts and three Radio Shacks to find one. There were none.

I had to order one from the Radio Shack website, since my coupon will expire on July 2.

As I heard, a lot of the coupons are expiring in July.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    If you went to three of each, you must've done a lot of travelling! I'd throw some other stores into the mix before that -- e.g., Best Buy, Circuit City, Target. (The two boxes I have came from Best Buy and Target. I also found nothing at Wal-Mart.)

3. Mike500

Mike500 Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Upstate...
    They are ALL within a 40 mile round trip made for other errands.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The only reason a lot would be expiring in July is because a lot were requested in April. They have a 90 day expiration.

5. magnumis

magnumis New Member

Jan 6, 2005
  6. Cerradura

Cerradura New Member

Jun 28, 2008
  7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    My local Target probably had 15 or so yesterday.

8. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    My coupons expired before i could find one and of course they could care less.

9. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    Walmart near me went from probably a pallet's worth to just a handful over the course of a month.

10. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Best Buy around here had about 30 yesterday.

It was nice - they just swiped card and I paid cash.

The person in front of me at a Walmart had to sign the credit card thing for each coupon, and maybe additional info was needed. Looked like a pain.

11. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    With Radio Shack you can search online to see in store availability. Yesterday I picked up the Data Stream 9950 with the pass through. It works but IMO could be better. Also seems to get a little hot.

The RS guy told me that if I would go home and choose in store pickup online I could get a $10 discount on a future purchase. Could even use it on the 2nd box. But since I was there and had the unit in hand I just took it. About $5 in tax. Seems like some of the early adopters said Wally World wasn't charging tax but the guy said not only do they charge tax but it's on the whole amount, not just the cash portion.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I got a refund check from Best Buy. It seems they were charging too much tax.
    They were putting tax on the total price before applying the gov. coupon when they should have been applying the tax after using the coupon.

So, what can I do for $3.20? :rolleyes:

:D

13. David_NC

David_NC New Member

May 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Tax depends on where you are - in North Carolina, they charge tax on the full amount. The tax law says that if the retailer receives the money (in this case, $40 from the government, the rest from the consumer), then it is taxable. If it is the store's own coupon, then you are only taxed on the after-coupon amount, since the store doesn't receive any money from themselves (essentially they just lowered the price).

The supply of converters at the local Wal-marts are pretty erratic, target was out of the lower cost model, but the higher priced ones seem to be in good supply. I'm hoping the DTVPal or TR-40 (or whatever their supposed lower-cost version will be called) shows up in stores before my coupons run out.

14. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    No Target within 100 miles.
    No Radio Shack within 50 miles.
    No Wal-Mart in 40 miles and they stay out of stock.
    No Best Buy in 125 miles.

Kmart is local but rarely got them in and they sell out fast and the place is a dump so i avoid it.

Thats why mine ran out.

15. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    California does it the same way. With manufacturer coupons, you are taxed on the before-coupon price, and with store coupons, you are taxed on the after-coupon price. And with cell phones, you are taxed on the full retail price, not the contract price, since they interpret that part of the required contract pays the balance of the retail price of the phone, so you "really" are paying the full retail price, albeit over time. :rolleyes:

16. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Really? Because Radio Shack charged me tax on the entire amount including the coupon. Curious!

BTW there's always $.49 McDonalds Wendesdays. Around here at least. LOL

17. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Well if you do actually find a unit I have heard from several places that some folks are donating their coupons to the retailers for folks who don't have them. So you could ask if they have any donated coupons on hand. I take it that you probably do travel the 40 - 50 miles at least once in a blue moon.

18. snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX
    Be aware, that TiVo is currently not planning to support the DataStream (I think it's DigitalStream) units, due to problems getting them to respond to TiVo's IR blaster:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6415219#post6415219

Snedecor

19. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Thanks. Yea, it figures. I finally found one in stock that seemed ok and that's the 1 thing it doesn't do. :rolleyes:

Good thing I didn't use both coupons at once.