Couple of simple questions...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TerryTT, Aug 13, 2007.

1. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007

Advertisements

Sorry if been asked before; searching didnt yield much.

Can I buy a lifetime giftcard and apply it to a TivoHD?

Can I buy an S3 remote? will it work the same?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I believe so, yes.

Yes, the Glo remote will work.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    those are discontinued so it would have to be something the seller was able to snatch up when lifetime offer ended and still had to sell. I know a lot were bought in best Buy at the time so it is possible legitimate acrds are out there but is definitely a buyer beware kind of deal.

4. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    The s3 remote looks a lot nicer! so thats good news but its not cheap, well 50 bucks on ebay.

I do see the odd lifetime and they go for plenty of cash, but i presume there is no other way to get a lifetime on a tivohd? they dont allow transfers right?

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

that is correct, there are no lifetime transfer offers on the TiVo HD right now.
    Just FYI - You can get an S3 TiVo (the original that goes for 600$) and do a lifetime transfer to it for the 199$. This seems to me like a lifetime rtransfer offer on the TiVo HD may not happen at all :(

6. GeorgeHReme

GeorgeHReme Level 2 Tivo Fairy

Feb 25, 2007
    Looks like that guy who was selling Tivo lifetime subscriptions on eBay like hot cakes has finally run out...so now you will probably only get lifetime subscriptions bundled with the TiVos themselves.

Speaking of, I am curious if anyone knows how that particular guy sold so many lifetime subscriptions without apparently having the cards? Did he ever have the cards? What was that about?

To think, more and more of the TiVo community is relenting to service contracts. What a sad state of affairs! I wince at thinking I'm in an ever-shrinking minority of folks who once upheld TiVo as the single greatest thing you could buy in a box up-front and then just forget about. All this talk of struggling to stay alive with the television provider alternatives would be moot, I think, if we could just have been more effective in getting the word out to the masses: a TiVo is JUST what you always wanted your VCR to be! It knows you! It loves you! Buy one, and never be duped by marketers again! Ayyyyeee! (that was my battle cry)

Well, perhaps it would be moot because TiVo would be bankrupt, too...hmmm..

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The loophole that he was obviously using may have been closed. He did not have gift cards or gift subscriptions, but was someone getting them new, just as I suspect fidelitytc and the others that always seem to have NIB lifetime units appears to be doing.

If you really want a Tivo HD with lifetime, I saw one on eBay with a 1TB drive ...

8. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Grandfathered S1's are still one way to go. I transferred one of my newer S1 lifetimes to my S3 for the $199 rather than use my grandfathered transfer for free. Not sure where my brain was when I did that :rolleyes:

The ol' klunker is still kickin.

I think I was hoping MRV would have been enabled by now and I'd pick up a second S3 and use my grandfathered transfer. Still waiting....