Couple of question about my new premiere...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Joey P, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Feb 6, 2011 #1 of 23
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

1)I know I'll have to have Time Warner come out and install the Cable Card. If the unit loses power, I assume the CC will stay connected, correct? That is, I won't have to call them and/or have them come back out and do anything.

2)This TiVo is an upgrade from another lifetime unit. Will the old unit still have the lifetime service once I activate the new unit or did I transfer the lifetime service?

3)How are SD channels outputted? If the TiVo records something in SD does it send it out in SD or does it upconvert it to HD? I ask since if it doesn't I'll either need to be constantly switching inputs on my TV or upgrading my iScan Line Doubler to one that can autosense and ignore HD content while upconverting SD content. I assume I'm not the only person in this situation. Are there any common workarounds? Right now, I just record everything in SD (since I have an SD TiVo) and it really isn't that big of a deal.

2. Feb 6, 2011 #2 of 23
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    1, yes your cable cards will remain paired
    2. I believe you've gotten a Multi service discount on lifetime for your primeire. Did you pay 299? eta; if so then your old unit will retain it's liftime.
    3, If I understand your question, No the tivo doesn't upconverte the signal to hd from sd. If all you need is sd, record in sd, you'll have a *lot* more room.

3. Feb 6, 2011 #3 of 23
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    2)Paid $200 for the lifetime.

4. Feb 6, 2011 #4 of 23
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    Nice! You got the good price for msd on your new (to you) premiere. The old unit should also have lifetime on it.
    go to tivo.com, create an account, enter your Serial #'s in to your profile & it'll show the status of your tivos.

Is your tv HD?

5. Feb 6, 2011 #5 of 23
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Yes.
    I currently have the TiVo, DVD player and a Gamecube all running through my receiver and up to the TV*. The cable box component outs also go up to the TV as well. When I want to watch something in HD (like the Superbowl) I change over to Component Input and bypass everything.
    I'll probably just continue to use this for a little while and then pick up a new line doubler that will turn SD content into HD while ignoring anything already in HD. Then it'll just be a matter of adjusting all my season passes to pick up the HD versions of shows that I care to watch in HD.

*They actually go through a line double on the way up so the SD looks decent on a big TV.

PS, I think I got a great deal. I got the XL Premiere with Lifetime for $649. But, with that, I'll be able to turn off the subscription on my second TiVo (I'll use the current lifetime as a backup), exchange my cable box for an M-Card and change my Netflix plan from 3 at a time to 1 at a time. It'll save me over $20 a month. It'll pay for itself in 3 years.

6. Feb 6, 2011 #6 of 23
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmmm, looks like the only DVDO line doubler that's going to work for me is the VP30. But at $1500 it would make more sense to buy a new TV with HDMI inputs that way over the next few years I could upgrade my receiver and DVD player. I think what I'll do is keep looking at eBay and maybe some other brands of Line Doublers and in the mean time sit tight and do what I've been doing. At this point HDMI has been around long enough that something new is probably right around the corner.

7. Feb 7, 2011 #7 of 23
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Forgot to mention earlier that this is great news. This way I can get it all set up ahead of time on a different TV in another room. The other TV is just a simple old SD CRT TV with no receiver or other peripherals to complicate things (but there is a network connection). After the Time Warner guy is done I can worry about integrating it into my system later which will take some work. I was worried I'd either have to be troubleshooting hooking everything up while he was pairing the CC or I'd have to get all that up and running and be down to basic cable until TW came out.
    I'll just have to make sure I won't lost my lifetime service on the first TiVo when I active the new one.

8. Feb 7, 2011 #8 of 23
    Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I thought you could lock the Tivo Premier to output one format (1080i for example) and it would output that format for SD and HD channels.

9. Feb 8, 2011 #9 of 23
    Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Yes, that is true, but the SD output will still look like SD.

10. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    Joey,
    Honestly I don't quite understand your system.

So you use your receiver for only sound? Or does it have hdmi? Your TV does not have hdmi right?

Personally, if I were you, I'd plan a upgrade path instead of spending $ on getting the current system to work better.
    I recently got a av receiver for $270. I was amazed at how it simplified my system. But if you don't have a hdmi imput on the tv you need to make sure it has a component output.

11. wolfmeiister

wolfmeiister Kommander Kaos

Feb 3, 2011
    nyc
    Yes - that is how it works IF you have just one video output format defined in Settings->Video->Video Output Formats

If you have multiple defined there, the Tivo will switch output formats depending on the source and your TV will have to switch to receive the different format.

This setting was causing me huge problems when I had the SD UI enabled - my TV was constantly switching between modes, causing very slow response, which I thought was due to the Tivo.

I recommend just setting the highest mode your TV will support and letting the Tivo upconvert.

12. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    The Premiere will detect the TV's preferred mode as well. I'm not sure why one mode would be preferred over another, but there seems to be some indication for that. My Premiere detected my Vizio's preferred mode as 720p, though it is capable of 1080i/p.

13. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Currently I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR901 which handles all the Audio and Video. It doesn't handle Hdmi, but it does have Component in and out. The reason I spent the big bucks on this receiver is because it can take all my different types of video inputs and send them all out via one cable (well, one set of cables). This way I no matter which source I wanted to watch, I don't have to change the input on my TV.

14. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    Basically how the cablecard stays current is every month it sends out a signal to the headend module to get reauthorization and refresh the subscription time (this can be found on the cablecard MMI under the CA (Conditional Access screen) as SubExpireTime) This is explained on these PDF's http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 under "Checking activation and authorization" or "Checking subscription expiration date" If the cable card doesn't report into the headend before that expiration date, you'd need to have it reauthorized by cable provider.

15. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    With the HDUI enabled, my video display would "jump" each time the source changed from 480i to 1080i. Channel surfing, dropping back to the home menu, and switching to recorded programs all caused momentary instability. Once I set the Premier output to 1080i only, all that stopped.

For me the issue was the annoyance, however others may prefer their HDTV or A/V system upconversion quality over TiVo's — I couldn't tell a difference.

16. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    So, everything seems to be working well. I'm still playing with some of the settings. Experimenting with the different menus etc. I'm sure over the next week or two everything will fall into place. Last night I tried streaming a netflix movie. A few times it had to stop to buffer. Ok, I can deal with that, it's coming in over the internet. But then one time, it didn't recover and the TiVo rebooted. While it was rebooting I did some searching and found out that this problem has been ongoing for a few years now. I'm not to happy about that. Netflix streaming was one of the things that pushed me over the edge to get the new TiVo. If it wasn't for that, I would have just stuck with my old one and picked up a Roku player. It's only happened once, and I didn't try watching the movie again after that (well, I did but it didn't save my position and I didn't feel like trying to figure out where I was, so I stopped it).

Based on the fact that there is a very long thread about Netflix and TiVo and it mentions problems with the TiVo rebooting in the first post from 2 years ago and in posts as recently as two weeks ago I assume nothing has been done about it yet. I didn't read the whole thread, but someone in the on the last page mentioned what I was thinking. I understand networks crash from time to time, or at least hiccup, and even if we assume Netflix needs the network intact 100% of the time to stay running, does it really have to take down the TiVo with it? Just close out the Netflix app and leave the rest of the TiVo alone. Also, from what I understand, the TiVo absolutely will not start back up until the network is back up and running again. This all seems like a pretty serious flaw to me.

Oh, and I really don't like the blue menu screens. Or rather, I don't mind the menus, I don't like the bright white animation that goes across each new screen.

17. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    Just go into video settings and change the letterbox coloring to black instead of gray. Other then that I have no idea what "bright white animation" your talking about. Your using the HD menus or the SD menus?

18. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Turns out it's just the 'footlights' lighting up each time the screen changes from one menu to the next. My whites are set pretty bright though I think. Anyways, that's neither here nor there.

I do, however, have to say that I'm seriously dissatisfied with Netflix instant on the TiVo. It bothers me that I have to check to see if anything is going to be recording before I attempt to start a movie since I know I'll probably have to reboot at least once. What bothers me more is that my internet connection isn't flaky except when streaming something from Netflix*. I wish they could get this sorted out. Looking back in the forums it seems this problem has been around since the beginning. I still don't understand why Netflix can't just pause the movie until the connection is back up or just quit the Netflix App instead of rebooting the entire TiVo.

What bothers me more then anything is that streaming Netflix was my main reason for buying the Premiere. I was perfectly happy with my S2. Now after spending all this money on a new TiVo, I have to decide if I want to pick up a Roku box.

*I'm trying to decide if I should just pick up a new router and give that a shot first. Mine is 4 or 5 years old. (TiVo is wired BTW)

19. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Series 3 models may have a fix coming for Netflix. Check out this post from TiVoJerry. I would imagine a Premiere fix is in the works as well.

20. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Even with a "fix" coming there is no indication of am updated Netflix interface. IE remembering / showing where you left off in a video (Roku an my panasonic blue ray, and wii does). Have the ability to search Netflix for new content, have to add to que from web page (wii and Roku has search). And last TiVo Netflix menu laggs ( much slower than Roku, panasonic, and wii).

Not to impressed with a TiVo fix/update that only address a 2 year old bug.