Could TiVo offer a built in sling type technology?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BlackBetty, Aug 30, 2007.

1. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Say you have a TiVo at home, and a TiVo at your vacation home. Both TiVo's hooked up to home networks. Would be great if TiVo had sling box kind of technology so you could watch pre-recorded programs, or even better...live programs from one unit to the other.

Didn't TiVo mention something like this a year or so ago on a conference call? Something about linking up to 10 boxes? Correct me if I dreamed that up.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It should be possible to make MRV work right now (for those units that support it). You'd just have to make it look like both Tivos were on the same LAN; i.e., set up a VPN.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the up to 10 TiVos was to do MRV over the internet. mAybe they thought streaming but nothing was said about the details. Anyway with all the TTG drm and cable labs security stuff TiVo seems to have dropped the idea. They could build slingbox into a TiVo but how many want that feature which would raise the cost of the bopx at least 100$ if not more. Your best bet is to look into buying slingbox as the internet is not the best medium for copying large video files around anyhow.

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yeah - to stream video over the net Slingbox encodes at 320x240 resolution using VC-1 (aka WMV9). The upstream bandwidth from the site with the SB is usually the limiting factor. The only people who can stream at 640x480 (the other SB option, which it uses locally) are those with massive upstream pipes, like some high-end FiOS users. And then you still need to hope every link in the chain is big enough.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    If i recall correctly when Tivo submitted tivoguard to the FCC years ago for approval (back when the broadcast flag rule had not been overturned)- the NFL had a MAJOR COW that people might use MRV to watch out of market football games in real time and make their sunday ticket cash cow into a slab of veal.

Tivo tweaked their proposal and if I read between the lines correctly that is why you can NOT transfer a show until it is DONE recording.

So you cant do it in REAL time with the current tivo system.