Could The Sling TV AirTV Anywhere DVR Replaces The TiVo Roamio OTA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Jim1348, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015

Advertisements

In the interest of full disclosure, I already have a TiVo Roamio OTA and two TiVo minis. I also have the legacy AirTV 2, as well as Sling TV service. Right now, I would be hard pressed to switch to this, but I will watch for reviews.

Sling TV Launches AirTV Anywhere DVR | Cord Cutters News

Products | AirTV

2. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Why not. And actually it seems as much or more aimed at replacing your Tivo cable Roamio as (it sounds like) you need to subscribe to Slingtv. (but I could be wrong on that. )

IT looks like it is a Recast clone. SAme idea in other words. Sounds like a more convenient (and more robust) solution than the Air TV 2 albeit more expensive.

btw, if you already have the AirTV 2 and Slingtv why do you still have a Roamio OTA and Mini?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  3. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I believe the correct acronym is WAF, as in Wife Acceptance Factor. She likes, perhaps loves, how the TiVo Roamio works. I like the Tivo Mini because it can work with my Slingbox 500. One of the things I really like about using the Slingbox app on my phone is Audio Only. Say I am out on a horseback ride, I may want to listen to something on OTA, but I don't need or want the picture. That should reduce the power draw on the phone battery, too.

However, if one of the components of my TiVo system goes awry, then I may have to think about it.

My mother-in-law shares the Sling TV subscription with my wife and I. I may have to see if it would work to move the AirTV 2 to her house and, if that works, get an AirTV Anywhere for my home. Again, I will wait for reviews before moving on this anytime soon.

trip1eX likes this.
  4. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    I have a Roamio (with 3 Vox Mini 4Ks), Sling TV with AirTV, and a Plex Server with Live TV and DVR (with the HDHomeRun Duo Tuner). We still have the TiVos because they are still by far the best and easiest to use, and yes, that plays directly into the Wife Acceptance Factor. The Plex Server with Live TV and DVR is is very good, and the way Sling handles the AirTV recordings is LOUSY at best.

Rankings
    1 TiVo - Excellent
    2 Plex - Very Good
    3 Sling - Less than OK

One clarification, we do OTA TV only, and stream the rest.

5. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina

Advertisements

This sounds like the same AirTV2, but with a built-in hard drive and 2 more tuners (which is nice) .
    But the same limitations probably exist:
    - no thumbnails when fast forwarding or rewinding
    - can't adjust record start/stop times
    - doesn't work on web browsers
    - sling interface
    - any others ?

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I agree that if the old AirTV sucked, the new one will too.

But I did replace all my Tivos with an Amazon Recasts 2 years ago, which is similar to the new AirTV. I love having my streaming and OTA guides integrated and having my DVR and all my streaming apps on the same box. I also love being able to use a cheap Fire stick or app on my smart TV rather than expensive Minis.

Sounds like if you already live with Sling's drawbacks, this might be a good addition for you. But there are better options if you're not a Sling subscriber. Youtube TV is far better than Sling in every way, and the guide is integrated with the OTA Recast.

7. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    Is the Recast still limited to 720p or did they fix that?

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Still just 720p unfortunately. Of the 50+ OTA channels I get, only 4 are 1080i, so I can live with it. If it's a program I really want to see in 1080, I'll watch it on Youtube TV or my TV tuner. Since Youtube carries most of my locals, I barely use my Recast anymore.

I don't know what resolution Sling is, but to my eyes, it looks significantly worse than my Recast across the board.

9. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    The only real good part about it is the integration of Cable only channels seamlessly in with the OTA locals. The way it handles recordings is about a 2 out of 10, (TiVo being a 10).