Could Series 3 HDTV models be made to work here?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by gladgd, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1 of 18
    gladgd

gladgd New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    St Neots, UK

Advertisements

With HD the same everywhere the PAL/NTSC tuner issues are removed. What would the hurdles be to getting a HDTV Tivo working here? Anything that outputs HD could be used as a source, logically.

Greg

2. Apr 8, 2007 #2 of 18
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Even if you could sort out all the other problems, you could not get a US Tivo registered over here. No reg = No EPG = Doorstop :)

3. Apr 9, 2007 #3 of 18
    Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon

I think the american HD has a different f/s than us, theirs is 29 and ours 25 or something.

4. Apr 9, 2007 #4 of 18
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I think if you has a US Series 3 loaded with FTA shows recorded in the US and shipped it here, you'd be able to watch the shows on a UK TV. But you couldn't record anything in the the UK with it.

5. Apr 9, 2007 #5 of 18
    cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland

Advertisements

Wouldn't have been difficult bringing out a dual standard one, but I can't see any pvr being successful here without a couple of freeview tuners in...

6. Apr 9, 2007 #6 of 18
    Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    Why?

I live in the heart of the south of England - and there is NO freeview signal available here.

I can understand those who can get Freeview being enthusiastic about it - but to say that anything without it would be unsuccessful is a bit narrow thinking.

7. Apr 9, 2007 #7 of 18
    cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    Add to that the fact we might not get Freeview HD for quite some time.

The future lies in integration with SkyHD and Virgin HD.

I would probably buy a new UK TiVo almost regardless of which platform it had though :)

8. SteveA

SteveA New Member

Oct 30, 2000
    UK
    Also isn't it the case that USA HD uses MPEG2 and we are using MPEG4?!

9. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Yes, that's definitely true. A US HD TiVo doest have a hope of being able to play UK HD as MPEG4 is substantially different from MPEG2 (needs a lot more processing power for example not to mention being a completely different standard)

10. cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland
    In just a few years time, Freeview will completely take over from analogue (even for you lot down on the South coast), so I don't think you can dismiss it as 'narrow thinking'.

Freeview is an easy way to have an integrated box - you won't see a Sky integrated Tivo box HD or otherwise - and a standalone box wouldn't be viable (less so than last time)

And who's to say we won't have an HD channel (eventually) on freeview??

11. Andy Davies

Andy Davies New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    I'm not sure that's accurate...

People have been told that they'll get digital TV, but I don't think there are any guarantees that it's going to be terrestial Freeview.

I suspect many people are going to have to rely on satellite or cable services of one form or another.

12. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A few will, but overall DTT coverage will be equal to current analogue coverage in % terms, even if it is not thea exact same set of households.

13. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Actually, US HD is in MPEG4. So, there is no difference in US or UK HD.

Also, nearly all US broadcasting is Digital. Analog went out awhile back.

Where you will run into problems is in the Cablecard. US Series 3's will not recognise UK Cablecards, that is if you even have cablecards?

14. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    Its a shame Tivo embeded cable card in the Series 3 and didn't just put multiple inputs for different sources. They could have just shipped them over as a bare bones unit and UK disks could have been added over here.

I suppose its nothing different here, if Tivo did release another system for the UK market, they would surely embed Freeview, but I'd like to think they'd provide provision for extra sources too :)

15. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    The phrase isn't quite what I meant - No offense intended.

There is no workable analogue signal here either - Sky & Cable installers say it's the airfield nearby - there's too much interference.

DAB doesn't work much either. :(

16. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    Yeah, i think there is a small runway in farnborough :)

17. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    Just a little one :D

18. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Well, the plan is to switch over all analogue relays to digital on switchover. Practically, this is about to happen (Border TV region I think). Initially, BBC Two analogue is switched off overnight and replaced with the main BBC multiplex. A few weeks later the other three channels are switched off and replaced with digital multiplexes.

This will be repeated in other regions over the next few years.

What this means is that if you currently get you pictures via a relay, you'll still only get 4 out of the 6 multiplexes, but I believe there's also a plan to shuffle some of the channels around to ensure that the main Freeview channels are in these four.

This means that theoretically, anyone who gets an analogue signal via terrestrial now will be able to get digital signals when switchover takes place. Practically however, people often put up with relatively badly degraded analogue pictures while it's much harder to live with a poor digital signal so there are some people who now get analogue who will bel left without terrestrial when switchover takes place.

Interestingly, driving up the narrow valley that leads to Glyncorwg (of mountain biking fame) in South Wales recently, it was evident that something like 80% of households had Sky dishes on their homes - far more than the national average. This valley relies on a relay for analogue reception and the mere thought of cable is taken as a joke. I'm sure this is being repeated in other areas too where the only practical way of getting digital at the moment is satellite.