Could NashGuy be right?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mschnebly, Oct 24, 2019.

1. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Bigg likes this.
  2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Hmm, not sure which of my predictions/WAGs this would be in response to. Now, I have said that cable operators in general are increasingly focusing on higher-margin broadband service and see TV as a secondary add-on. (That's been reported by many industry sources.) And I've predicted that cable TV operators that aren't major content owners -- basically all of them except Comcast and AT&T -- will eventually get out of the business of running their own cable TV services and instead just resell various streaming video services instead as add-ons to their broadband. But that's not what Comcast is announcing here.

At any rate, it looks like Comcast is joining a lot of other MVPDs in realizing that there's no point in chasing after the low end of the market because they're irretrievably lost to direct-to-consumer streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Peacock will be the thing that Comcast pitches to those folks, leaving traditional cable TV as a more expensive option for the dwindling (but still substantial) number of consumers willing to pay good money for it.

3. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Yep, this is what I was talking about. You said cable cos. would drop all but the money makers. I really didn't think Comcast would come right out and say it.
    Also, I've been hearing that Peacock is going to be advertisement rich!

Bigg likes this.
  4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    According to that story, Comcast is on track to lose nearly a trillion customers this year. They only have 20 million customers to begin with. And the population of the earth is less than 8 billion. Before they lose that many, they'll have to get every person on earth to get over a thousand subscriptions each, then cancel all of them. And all of those customers will be high value since each would be spending over $100,000 per month on cable TV.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    mschnebly, johnfasc, NashGuy and 2 others like this.
  5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004

Advertisements

Getting rid of unprofitable customers in nothing new, the tech press has re-invented the wheel (so they think). Most businesses have been doing this for years.

6. Rey

Rey Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Yeah I think the writer meant Comcast will lose 943,890 subscribers over the next year.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Why not? Directv said this a few years ago.

8. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    My Roadrunner/Comcast/Xfinity cable/internet bill package was listed as $119 month, but the after fees and fake taxes came too over $193 month.

Hard to believe I wasn’t a “Profitable” customer.

Now if I could only find a way to get “Live PD” and “Below Deck” without spending $25 month just for those two shows my OTA transition will be complete.

lhvetinari and mschnebly like this.
  9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    BitTorrent?

-KP

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    if they do indeed go down this path, once accounting and wall street begin hollering about dramatically lower arpu generated by internet only customers, i have a feeling those opinions may change. :)

11. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Yep!

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Only a solution as long as there are tens of millions willing to pay for the high cost of content production, not to mention being unethical.

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Does my heart good to see that those bloodsuckers (All cable cos) are loosing customers so fast. NONE of their content is worth the ripoff - OTA ROCKS!

johnfasc likes this.
  14. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    This is also true. :(

15. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Doesn't look like A&E sells Live PD as digital downloads. (Well, they sell repackaged clip shows but apparently not the actual episodes that air on A&E.) Most broadcast and basic cable TV series do, and you can buy the entire season. If you buy the season while it's still airing (or before it starts), you can download/stream each episode the day it airs, or maybe the next day. For instance, you can buy the current season of Below Deck from Apple/iTunes for $14.99 in 1080p HD. So, about a buck per episode, and they're yours to keep and watch whenever you want.

kpeters59 likes this.
  16. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Lower ARPU but higher profit margins; broadband is way more profitable than cable TV because the costs are so much lower. Wall Street seems pretty cool with the trend based on the analyst reactions I've seen so far...

Bigg and mschnebly like this.
  17. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    have you ever sat in a room while company executives are debating arpu? :)

yes, profitability is a concern, but when it comes to tracking arpu, i've found it to be a lesser concern overall, and one of the primary reasons we were introduced to service bundling (along with locking customers in by making it more difficult to shop competitors).

i've known companies to give certain, select additional services at near cost as add-ons to existing customers, with the goal of achieving higher arpu across their customer base, the focus being attractiveness to overall business health demonstrated to wall street for stock valuations and dividends, and i've seen no signs of this changing any time soon.

sure, the higher revenue could come from different services not yet discussed (or even available yet), but i don't see companies eliminating services, or pricing them exorbitantly out of reach of significant numbers of customers, that would negatively impact arpu simply for higher profit margins. there would have to be a plan in place to offer replacement services to mitigate those impacts.

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    So if something is too expensive, stealing it is an acceptable alternative? Would you do the same for any other product or service? I don't think most people would. Just because something is easy to steal doesn't make it ok to steal it.

tenthplanet and UCLABB like this.
  19. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I guess that depends on ones taste. The only thing I watch on cable that I could get ota is pbs.

20. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    I thought RoadRunner was a TWC thing. Did Comcast use that name too for their internet service back in the day?