Could Faulty Hard Drive Error Also Cause Sound Drops?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tyketime, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tyketime

tyketime New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    I have a Tivo HD XL connected to Verizon Fios. With just a minor exception or two, this setup has worked very well for the past couple of years.

Four weeks ago, I started experiencing two major issues:

1. When watching a recorded show, or sometimes even live, the sound completely drops. For a recorded show, the sound never returns. When watching live, changing the channel and returning to the original station almost always corrects the issue. Now we used to have an Onkyo receiver. When this started happening, I used it as an opportunity to upgrade to a newer one. We now have a Yamaha - 525W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver (RX-V471). Now all components are connected via HDMI (Tivo, FIOS Receiver - for on demand programming, blu-ray). But sound problem still persists. It does not seem to occur on a specific channel. It seems to occur more often when I'm recording one two-hour show, and a second recording kicks in for the second hour. Almost always, the sound on the 2nd show is fine, and the sound drops from the first (two hour show). These occur when both channels being recorded are in HD (if that makes a difference).

2. When watching a show I've recorded, a couple of times a week the show will pixellate badly. Suddenly, instead of a one hour show, it will record something odd like three hours and twelve minutes. All of the extra time has the same pixellation. Meaning once it starts, it does not seem to be able to correct itself.

I suspect the hard drive may be the culprit for number 2. I plan to run Kickstart Code 54 test tonight.

Would any potential hard drive issue also cause the sound drops as described in #1?

Thanks for your help!

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't think a bad drive could cause good picture bad sound. If it's reading off of a bad spot on the drive both picture and sound would be affected.

If you really suspect the drive, you should run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it, first the short test and then the long.

As long as you're opening the TiVo to take out the drive, go to badcaps.net and educate yourself on "capacitor disease" and then carefully visually inspect the capacitors in the TiVo's power supply while it's unplugged.

A marginal power supply can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

I'm working on an HD supply right now that has two caps that are only the teeniest bit rounded on the top, but it's enough to turn the +5V output into only 4V. If only one were bad, it might be enough to turn it into 4 point something, close enough to 5 to let it run, but not to let it run reliably.

Introducing HDMI, and therefore HDCP, into the equation probably wasn't the best move diagnostically.