Corrupted fonts in SD Menus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AZrob, Apr 11, 2011.

1. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just got a new Premiere XL and quickly noticed one thing - in the SD menus the fonts for the smaller type in the To Do screen, as well as some other screens are kind of - corrupted. That is, the letters are not solid, but missing part of the character. I've seen this on PC's when memory is low or the fonts are corrupted - but never on my HD Tivos. Is this normal? Of course the fonts are fine in the HD menu, but that is not an option - my wife gets eyestrain trying to read the smaller type and wade through all the clutter.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob from AZ

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I've noticed that, too. The TiVo HD's fonts are a little blotchy, which could be due to the character generator used or due to some interaction with the TV's circuitry (resolution translation or whatever). I don't think the Premiere's fonts are really any smaller, but they seem to be lighter in stroke weight (less bold). The HD's fonts don't look that great, but the Premiere's are definitely much more blotchy looking, to the point that they're hard to read.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And i though it was my 5 year old HDTV that caused this, I found the to-do list is very hard to read, but the now playing list is OK.

4. L David Matheny

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    OK, I just went to look. The highlighted item in the Premiere's Now Playing List is considerably bolder than non-highlighted items, and fairly similar to the highlighted item in the TiVo HD's NPL. Non-highlighted items in the TiVo HD's NPL may be slightly less bold, but the difference is subtle. Non-highlighted items in the Premiere's NPL are noticeably thinner and somewhat blotchy looking, but I agree that they're not as bad as the (non-highlighted) To-Do List font.

5. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

Yes, I agree that you can read the main entries in the NPL. But if you go into one of the shows and try to read the date, episode number and program type info in the lower right-hand corner, that is really hard to read. In other words, if the font is smaller, that's where the problem really shows. Similarly, in the To Do list, where the fonts are smaller in general, it's harder to read.

Well, at least I don't have to waste my time exchanging for another Premiere XL, if they are all that bad...is it any better on the Premiere (Standard)?

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Ironically on a calibrated display the fonts look like crap from my Premiere, but once I tweaked the display settings (I think mainly increase contrast settings) the fonts looked a lot better or at least more readable on the display. Previously I was having same problem - the To Do List was barely readable from the Premiere.

7. L David Matheny

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I'm assuming that something like fonts would be the same on both Premiere models. I have a standard Premiere, not an XL. I would hope that it's something they could fix in a firmware update if they ever get that far down the list of problems.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have both and the fonts are the same.