Corrupt TWiT 6 year anniversary 04-17-11

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MikeAndrews, Apr 18, 2011.

1. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    This week's TWiT "Tivocast" was full of audio and video dropouts and clipping. Major sections skipped so the two hours played in like 45 minutes. I stuck with it but I was tempted to just delete it. I was concerned about the audio bangs hurting my speakers.

This, as Leo and crew are celebrating the 6 year anniversary and it ends with a tour of the new Brick TWiTHouse under construction.

Leo! Go back to the basics! Some of your new staff dropped the ball.. or was it the TiVo transcoding that screwed up?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I had no issues with the small video version on my iPhone (downloaded with Podcaster).

The tour of the new studio construction at the end was impressive. The TWiT network must be making some nice money.

3. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I think Leo has hinted that the network brings in several $million, which is amazing, for me, considering that I heard (musta been in a downloaded audio file) the first time Leo mentioned what a podcast is.

Leo himself draws around $100K salary solely from the donations.

But TWiT has the CEO and a fairly large staff now.

4. roadrunner9368

roadrunner9368 Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Watching live on justin.tv on the roku Sunday had issues.

From what I understand twit brings in about 4m a year and the new studio is costing more than they had planned so parts are to be finished after the move. There will be a kickstarter up and running later this week to help with construction costs.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yeah, Leo mentioned selling the bricks to decorate the lobby.

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Of course, Leo, having been around for a while, has other sources of income (his fingers in more than one pot), in particular whatever he makes off of his broadcast radio work, and his books and whatever else we don't know about . So, he certainly isn't limited to living on what he gets solely from Twit.

7. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Hunh. What my tivo grabbed was complete with no noticed issues.

Now, there was one Tech News Today from last week that was corrupted somehow that the tivo refused to do anything other than display a grey screen. Downloaded that particular TNT from the twit website and transferred to the tivo with pyTivo and played just fine with what appeared to be a single corrupted frame someplace in the transcoded file.

8. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It turns out that this very episode was OK on my other Series 3 OLED.

I also had a corruption problem with HD Nation on the same S3. I restarted it.

I wanna know is how TiVo can do a file transfer over TCP/IP and not have error correction.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Could someone please tell me how to set up my TiVo HD to get Twit? I've found an audio-only podcast but I'm trying to get the video version. I've tried entering custom URL's but apparently don't know the right one. I haven't found anything called "tivocast" in my menus. I've searched this forum for "twit" and "twittv" with no helpful results. Is this something that has to be done via TiVo Desktop? TIA.

EDIT: Ok, I realize there are lots of twit shows. I stumbled on Tech News Today on the internet video menu and that is working fine. Is that "the" twit podcast this thread is referring to?

EDIT2: Give me enough time and (sometimes) I will muddle through!
    You have to look for "this Week in Tech" (not TWIT) on the internet video menu (and it's twittv/twit). Watching #299 now.

Thanks anyway -- no help needed now.