correction I still Love Tivo - but i'm not happy with bmw

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by toocan, May 3, 2006.

1. May 3, 2006 #1 of 20
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003

Advertisements

Has anyone else recieve this email?

"
    You're Pre-Approved for the BMW Platinum Visa® Card. Vroom! Can't you just hear it? That's the sound your new BMW will make every time you step on the gas. And you could be driving one sooner than you think, if you use your card every time you make a purchase.

It pays to pay with your BMW Platinum Visa Card. Use your card for everyday purchases. The more you use it, the more you can earn toward a BMW Financial Services loan or lease, up to $5,000 back! Plus you can also redeem your points to pay for parts and service at a BMW Center. And more."

So annoying to get Spam, but worse that Tivo sold my name to them. I know this because I set up a seperate email address for Tivo and that is the email address this came from.

I used to love Tivo...

new stuff - i guess i over reacted - i think i opted into this myself.

2. May 3, 2006 #2 of 20
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Maybe you shouldn't have choose this offer from TiVo Central?

3. May 3, 2006 #3 of 20
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    You sure it wasn't random spam???? They just guessed your email?

I've created an email address before and gave it to NO ONE EVER and it got spam every so often

4. May 3, 2006 #4 of 20
    Glen Graham

Glen Graham Senior Moment

Oct 12, 2000
    SacraTomato, CA
    Usually, it is not the company themself that did it, but rather either an employee (personally), or someone "got ahold" of some addresses.

I recently started getting some spam to an Amazon-only address I have, and have had for many years with no spam.

Worse yet, some losers in Italy and China have recently started spamming PRETENDING TO BE MY OWN DOMAIN NAME :(

Nothing I can do; I get dozens of "bounced" e-mails daily, and hate-mail to fictitious names on my domain.

So, don't be so quick to blame TiVo...

5. May 3, 2006 #5 of 20
    Olde Fortran

Olde Fortran New Member

Apr 22, 2006

Advertisements

That's been happening to me since 1996. Once I was reporting a lot of spam through spamcop and I wasn't paying attention and I ended up reporting myself. That was really annoying. I got this weird email from the domain host asking me not to report myself for things I didn't do.

6. May 3, 2006 #6 of 20
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    ok, maybe i am over reacting. i just hate spam so much. this once was worse because it is a pre-approved credit offer. thoes are the worst - and I just sent in my opt out for life form to avoid them!!!!

anyway, i'd be curious if any other tivo users are getting this offer - especially if you have a tivo only email account like i do (but tell us either way).

I'll hold of on tivo hating until i learn more.

Does anyone know tivo's policy on this? Is there an opt out option on tivo central (I just looked and could not find it)

7. May 3, 2006 #7 of 20
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    not sure what you mean?

8. May 3, 2006 #8 of 20
    Olde Fortran

Olde Fortran New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    A lot of those promos on TiVo central ask if they can send your info to their advertising partner. A couple of clicks and you've opted into this.

9. May 3, 2006 #9 of 20
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    oooh, maybe i did opt into this. dammit! I don't remember that though.

I guess it's BMW I should hate for sending me pre-approved credit offers after I opted out of them.

Can someone point me to thier forum? ;)

10. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    toocan, I'd like to investigate. We never provide your information to any third parties without your specific permission.

We do have several TiVo Central lead-generation showcases. If you request a brochure or similar, then you are giving us permission to provide your information to the third party (as is indicated on-screen). Not sure if that happened in this case or not, since I'm not familiar with this particular e-mail.

Can you forward me (estephen@tivo.com) the e-mail including headers?

11. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006

Look at Stephen go! That is what I call high class customer service! I think TiVo has programmed a bot to scan these forums for anything negative so they can get a live person on the situation. Reminds me of when I was on my cruise and if you did not eat or stop to breath you had 5 people asking if everything is alright, I feel the same way on here, if I have a problem TiVo will jump to help solve it. A+++ guys! :)

12. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    I agree, I have edited my title because I believe I did opt in at some point to recieve some bmw related info.

Thanks for the reply, Stephen especially.

I'm back to loving tivo but now peeved at bmw.

13. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Since Stephen didn't mention it and you asked, Tivo's policies can be found at tivo.com/policy.

/edit: The relevent document would be "TiVo Service Agreement".

14. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    that's why this forum is so great. I'll try not to fly off the handle next time!

Thanks!

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

that was a class act to change the subject line and really interact with the communication within the thread. Many post a rant and then stop listening. Not you though :up: A+++ as well for you. :)

16. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    thx zeo. :D

17. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Set your default mail handler to fail or blackhole any mail addressed to a non-existant email address. Very easy to do on most web hosts.

I bounce that kind of stuff before I let it hit my mailboxes.

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    For whatever it's worth, I've accepted *every* offer I've seen on TiVo... never know when something might be blogable. ;) I've never seen that BMW email.

19. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Why don't you give BMW card a try? I'm using GM card with similar deal (every time I use it I get 5% toward GM car purchase) and over the years I saved at least $20,000. It works just like cash - after you negotiated everything you can use your CC credits toward price of the car. Of course if you don't like BMW, this offer doesn't do you any good, use your TiVo CC instead. :)

20. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    well, that's not really my issue. i hate that companies pull my credit report to send me junk mail and spam. so, i have opted out of this practice. you can too. if i want this type of financing, i will search for it and apply.

however; i am not blaming tivo as it is not them, as i gave them permission to tell bmw about me. i didn't figure bmw would take part in this business practice. now i know.