1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corner Gas -

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by richsadams, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1 of 217
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Found a thread in the TiVo Coffee House about a Canadian TV show that just started airing on WGN, Chicago called "Corner Gas". A very quirky and original show set in rural Saskatchewan (or is that redundant?) conceived, written and produced by Brent Butt - his real name - who also stars in the show.

Not your typical formulaic sitcom...pushes the envelope now and then a la Bob and Doug McKenzie or Abrahams' and Zucker's Police Squad and Airplane (but a bit more gently). It also features cameos from Canadian stars. It's been a well kept secret produced by our friends in the Great White North. I'm surprised we've never heard of it down here! (At least I haven't :eek: but glad I found it.)

The show is in its fifth season in Canada and WGN is airing Season 4 programs right now. Just hope they decide to air the first three seasons as well.

Funny stuff, and worth :up: :up: IMHO.

They have their own website, http://www.cornergas.com

It may or may not be your cup of tea but it's worth a look, eh? :)

2. Nov 18, 2007 #2 of 217
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    They've already aired the first three seasons -- it's actually been running on WGN since September, and they did start off with the very first episode. I'm sure they'll cycle back to the beginning once they finish Season 4...since this is a rerun package, I assume they won't get Season 5 until it's finished airing in Canada.

3. Nov 18, 2007 #3 of 217
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Ahhh...my "source info" was faulty. Darn! Hopefully they'll come back around. Thanks for that! :up:

4. Nov 18, 2007 #4 of 217
    mclark11

mclark11 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    I downloaded this by accident once and it was a great show. Too bad I don't have WGN..

5. Nov 18, 2007 #5 of 217
    dowalker

dowalker New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    Spring Hill, FL
    Glad to see others are finding this show. it is a gem. Even my wife is starting to enjoy it...

6. Nov 19, 2007 #6 of 217
    Trugoy

Trugoy Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Guelph,...
    I'd heard that the network that airs the show up here (CTV) had sold syndication rights to WGN, but I wasn't sure how the show would fare with an American audience. Glad to see that people are enjoying it, it's one of my favs.

7. Nov 19, 2007 #7 of 217
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    My sister introduced me to it when I was visiting her in . . . Saskatchewan. It's where I grew up. While the rest of Canada is laughing, Saskatchewanians haven't yet decided whether or not they should be offended.

My sis bought me the first season on DVD and bought my son a "Corner Gas" T-shirt.

I'm starting to like it more as I watch it on WGN. At first I found Brent Butts annoying. I think he's a better writer than an actor. But the rest of the cast is great.

Ah, reminds me of my childhood.

8. Nov 19, 2007 #8 of 217
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The other night they aired an episode that included a Cameo by Mike Holmes. My wife and I are big "Holmes on Homes" junkies and about fell off of the couch when he appeared a couple of times as Wanda's old boyfriend. :D

9. Nov 25, 2007 #9 of 217
    cipher

cipher New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I heard "Corner Gas" is good from my brother-in-law, but I wasn't sure about his tastes. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Nov 25, 2007 #10 of 217
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    OMG! Do NOT trust your brother in law whatever you do!!! :eek: I have it on good authority that he's a complete nutcase.

I'm sure he has good taste when it comes to picking family members...but TV? Thank goodness he's mostly harmless. ;)

On the other hand, MY brother-in-law recommended TiVo years ago when I was still playing 8 track tapes...he's really cool in my book! :D

11. Nov 29, 2007 #11 of 217
    destek

destek Member

Jan 15, 2001
    Madison,...
    While technically CG is not a new show - I feel it is one of the top three shows new to this season! It's low key, subtle (and sometime banal) punchlines really give the show a unique personality. I think they've assembled a great ensemble cast.

Des

12. Nov 29, 2007 #12 of 217
    jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    I enjoy this and Trailer Park Boys, another Canadian import. Isn't it great to find shows you enjoy and find out that they already have several seasons already taped for you to catch up on?

13. Nov 29, 2007 #13 of 217
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Ha, I checked out the Trailer Park Boys web site and it looks like...well, a trailer park version of “Weeds” (an excellent show on Showtime). I didn't see who's airing TPB though. Must be cable based on the language in the clips?

14. Dec 5, 2007 #14 of 217
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    "Corner Gas' is growing on me. I think I was overly critical because it's Canadian and, having grown up in Canada, that usually meant (to me) sub-standard because everything was a CBC production. Now that I've settled down, I find myself watching this more than I'd expected. It's pretty good, actually.

15. Dec 5, 2007 #15 of 217
    jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....
    OT: Why do "many" Canadians hate the CBC and Canadian programming so?

I have found Canadian homegrown movies and TV shows to be more then watchable.

StarChoice "Gray Market" subscriber for over 3 years :)

16. Dec 5, 2007 #16 of 217
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    to be more what before they're watchable?

or did you mean more than watchable?

17. Dec 5, 2007 #17 of 217
    jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....
    Why do you always have to be a smart-ass? :cool:

18. Dec 5, 2007 #18 of 217
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Maybe it's good because it's not CBC...it's CTV. :D

(I'm a little bit surprised the WGN airings begin with a "CTV Original Programming" bumper, something that means absolutely nothing to most Americans. "Doctor Who," for example, doesn't begin with a BBC network ID.)

19. Dec 10, 2007 #19 of 217
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I've watched about 5 episodes, thanks for the heads up, this is a great show.

20. Dec 10, 2007 #20 of 217
    mclark11

mclark11 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    I think I know why Canadian shows are so bad. I think that whenever an actor/writer starts getting fame the thing to do is go to the US. That's why Jim carrey, John candy and compatriots, the SNL people are never seen in a good TV Sit-com at the CBC. The CBC also does not do sit-coms, maybe for that reason. There's some good Improv stuff, but not enough stuff to put together a sit com (Kids from the Hall was likable, and all those guys went to the US after that).
    Sometime I wonder though why such bad shows exist. Remember the biggest show on the CBC was the beachcombers... My God that was unwatchable. But overall I don't think producers have a choice because all performers go to greener pastures.
    This show, of course, is an exception. I think it's better than 90% of the US stuff. I think someone high up saw the potential, but I bet that in 10 years the producers of this show will be living in Hollywood.