Cord cutting question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by floridarandy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. floridarandy

floridarandy New Member

May 5, 2017

Advertisements

i have Romeo Pro fed by FrontierTV FIOS with Mini’s scattered around the house. I am considering cancelling Frontier FIOS and streaming Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. using Frontier Fios internet only.

Hulu, Netflix , etc Apps appear on our TiVo boxes and but I don’t if I can access them if the cable portion of Fios is discontinued.

I can always buy roku for each tv but would like to do that only if essential.

Also, can I record these streaming services on the Romeo Pro if the apps will work on the bad sans. Cable.

Thanks

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You cannot record any streaming services with a TiVo. You can still use your main TiVo box and minis to watch streaming content after you cancel cable as long as you still have TiVo service (monthly or yearly or lifetime) on your main box.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And to expand, as long as TiVo has an app for the streaming service you want.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. floridarandy

floridarandy New Member

May 5, 2017
    Perfect. Thanks! Hulu has some cloud storage so at least on day 1 we can use the TiVo apps for streaming. Have lifetime TiVo.

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the Hulu app for TiVo is an outdated version and it doesn't support Hulu's live TV service with cloud DVR ($40/mo). Their TiVo app only supports the original Hulu on-demand service ($8 with ads or $12 ad-free), plus maybe the Showtime add-on ($11).

FieldofStreams and dfreybur like this.
  6. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    With broadband internet service, no sites are blocked. You can stream them just fine. With the caveats mentioned in other answers. No recording any stream (legal issue so this will not change). The Hulu application blows.

Recently out Hulu app timed out a few times so it failed to start. Then it lost our login. Again. After working okay for the last month.

7. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    TiVo is a crappy streaming platform. It's the best DVR on the market first and foremost, and a bad knockoff of Roku or AppleTV.

OrangeCrush and mschnebly like this.
  8. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    If you're going to be relying on streaming as your main form of TV, I would suggest taking a bit of the money you'll save from dropping cable and buying streaming boxes/sticks, at least for the TVs you use the most. If you've only ever used TiVo devices for streaming, you'll probably be surprised how much better apps work on any current-model Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV device. Here's a guide to upcoming Black Friday sales on various streamers:

Black Friday 2018 streamer deals: Roku, Chromecast and Fire TV, starting at $20

Also, if after a few months you decide NOT to go back to cable TV, then you may as well sell your used Roamio Pro and Minis with lifetime service. You can get several hundred dollars for that equipment on eBay. Since the Roamio Pro doesn't have OTA tuners, you can't use it with an antenna, so it would really be no use to you without cable, other than as streaming devices. But there are far better devices available for streaming and you could more than cover the cost of them with what you get out of selling your used TiVos.

9. warrenn

warrenn Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    If any of your TVs are smart TVs, you might be able to use them as your streaming platform directly.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'd sell that lifetime pro and get a lifetime 4 tuner box so you can use an antenna instead.

11. warrenn

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    Even though your Tivo doesn't support antenna, your TV most likely does. It'd be worth getting an antenna for times you want to watch local coverage. In addition to the networks, there will be a lot of sub-channels that have a pretty wide variety of older content. It will definitely be a plan-b solution, but it can be nice to have for the one-time cost of an antenna.

12. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    *actually, before you do anything, what's your OTA reception look like? Check your TVFool.com signal locator report.

If it's good, sell your lifetime pro & buy a Roamio OTA. Or maybe a Bolt OTA with lifetime if a good Black Friday deal pops up. Keep the minis.

And then buy some Rokus for streaming apps. You'll have to switch inputs, but you can use the TiVo for what it's good at (Live & DVR) and the Rokus for what they're good at (anything app/streaming related).

13. FieldofStreams

FieldofStreams New Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Not all Rokus are supported. I recommend Firesticks/FireTV devices - all of those are supported & low cost but work great.

Pretty cool deals right now for Blk Fri, too, starting at 24.99+tax & up. You'll need at least one device for Hulu live that can set your home location, so you get the correct local and regional channels.
    Check out the devices here:
    https://help.hulu.com/en-us/supported-devices

Chromecast, android (phones/tablets), iOS devices, hulu.com, Fire phones/tablets can't set your location, so you would want any of the other devices listed on that top section.

14. warrenn

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    One frustration with going with streaming content is that the REW/FF/Pause functions are often terrible and inconsistently implemented in the apps. You'll probably miss the ease at which you could jump back and forward with Tivo. And the different streaming apps will put various amounts of overlays on pause screens, which make it difficult if you're trying to look at something in a scene.

Although it is an indulgence, I really like having a Tivo for my OTA content. If a show is available both on streaming or my Tivo, I'll always watch on Tivo for the REW/FF simplicity. If you have a significant amount of network content you watch, consider getting an OTA Tivo if that bugs you about the streaming apps.

15. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Almost every UHDTV at Costco is a smart TV embedded with one streamer or another. Some have Roku, others Apple, others their own. If it's time for you to replace any TV set at home going with UHDTV should get you smart TV.

Tivo remains the hydra on the market. It's a DVR that supports streaming. It's not as good at streaming as Roku but it's there using one remote.

CloudAtlas and krkaufman like this.
  16. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    This is one of the things that I really like about Apple TV versus Roku or Fire TV. With the exception of YouTube, the major apps on Apple TV tend to be very consistent in their video playback controls and on-screen UI because they conform to Apple's suggested guidelines. Even though I watch stuff in a lot of different apps, there's still a lot of consistency in how things work.

mschnebly, CloudAtlas and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I have to wonder how suggested are the guidelines. I’d be even more annoyed with TiVo if the only barrier to a more consistent app navigation experience was just the absence of a TiVo-supplied style guide.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  18. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I did the same thing as you (had Fios TV, dropped it and kept the Fios internet), but I had a Roamio Plus, Roamio OTA, and 4 Minis. I just aimed my Minis at the OTA box, and currently my Roamio Plus is idle (need to sell it …..all my boxes have lifetime). No regrets (my wife might disagree....she misses having a Lifetime channel in the Guide. But she won't mess with anything but one single device...ie Tivo).

19. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    I believe it’s the Apple App Store Review Guidlines which decides what guidelines are mandatory. If an app fails review the problems have to be fixed before it can make into the App Store for downloading.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right, so they're not mere "suggestions" ... and services want their apps on Apple products. Sadly, TiVo doesn't have the same pull.