Copyright stops DVD recording on all shows

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by zimmerman, May 29, 2006.

1. zimmerman

zimmerman New Member

May 29, 2006
    I've read about the macrovision copyprotection flag--but now my Tivo/DVD will not record any content from any source to DVD...as if the flag has been turned on for all content.

I hope and assume this is an error, rather than policy.

Solutions?

I hear this is set by my cable company, they are claiming it's not them...wanted to confirm before I escalte.

2. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Have you tried restarting your TiVo?

Are you getting a specific message when you try to burn to DVD? What does it say?

3. zimmerman

zimmerman New Member

May 29, 2006
    I have not tried to restart the Tivo.
    the message is that the provider of the content has disallowed this content to be recorded to DVD (not those words, but very similar).

This is a macrovision broadcast flag as I understand it. But in this case it is on for all shows, all channels, all content.

So, is this a Tivo problem or a cable company problem?

any ideas?

4. zimmerman

zimmerman New Member

May 29, 2006
    So, now I've restarted the tivo unit...no effect.

5. garydw

garydw New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Bartlett, TN
    This is simply TIVO doing what they do best. They got you to buy that expensive TIVO with DVD and made promises. Now they are not living up to them, but you still have to pay.

Windows Media Center does not have this issue.

One more reason I left TIVO

gary

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    From the sounds of things, with it being every channel and all, I suspect it's your cable company...

And what they're doing is against the law.

That thing a few months back when some FOX station sent out encryption during The Simpsons that told people's TiVos not to save the show for more than a few days...

It was illegal. It wasn't done intentionally (supposedly), but it was illegal.

Only certain content can be coded that way.

One of the specifics laid out by government spokesmen when the whole digital TV thing was being set up was that 'Nobody better try and limit the public from doing what they can now with analog TV and their VCRs. Being able to record shows STAYS.'

Now, I suppose a point could be made that recording the show WAS possible, it just wouldn't stay on the TiVo for long, but that's not even what's happened to you. You couldn't record at all.

I'd suggest you talk to TiVo again, or to TiVo Jerry here (or one of the other guys here who work for TiVo), and explain what's happening to them.

Maybe they'd know how to phrase things to some tech at your cable company to explain what they're doing wrong. That signal is coming from SOMEWHERE, and since it's on all channels, it must be the cable company.

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Actually, this isn't a case of TiVo doing anything. Seems it's the cable company, somehow sending out the wrong flag with the shows.

8. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Better check your mis-information, Windows Media Center does have that issue and perhaps a few more.

That it hasn't happened yet, and hasn't tripped anyone up is to the advantage of MCE users, but MCE does recognize the flags and will not let you record restricted content.

9. JasonRossSmith

JasonRossSmith Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go bdowell!

Microsoft more interested in fair use than Tivo running off of Linux! Hmmm My Tivo only reboots when the software updates, and that is like once or twice a year. Ever heard of a Microsoft product being that stable or reliable?

10. kemajor

kemajor Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Wichita, KS
    I had this problem a while back. All of the sudden nearly every show I recorded had the copyright restriction flag on preventing me from burning to DVD on my Humax DVD unit (connected to a Cox Motorola HD digital cable box). I tried everything I could think of to resolve this on the Tivo side (re-boot, re-run guided setup, etc).

Finally I called Cox and had them send a *FACTORY* reset to my digital cable box. Not just a "soft" or "hard" reset. Since then I haven't had a single program marked restricted. (knocking on wood).

Might be worth a try if your configuration uses a digital cable box.

Good Luck.

- Kelly

11. zimmerman

zimmerman New Member

May 29, 2006
    Thanks for all this good info.
    I will go after the Comcast.
    With me luck.
    I'll post results.
    //wdz

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    One way to see if it is the cable box is connect the cable directly to the TiVo and redo the setup as analog cable and record an analog channel. If you get the copy protection on the channel via the cable box and NOT on the analog cable, then it is the box injecting it.

If you get it on the analog cable, then it is the cable company doing it at the head end.

13. kblinco

kblinco New Member

May 25, 2006
    this is the same thing that has happened to me. I am calling COMCAST today to see what the deal is. Hopefully, we can get some answers.

14. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Call your cable co. and let them know they are flagging shows--- they must correct it -- its on their end.

15. joewr

joewr New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I am having the same problem; all shows are flagged as "copyright protected." The cable company claims it's not them, TIVO says it's not them, etc. I've even tried replacing the Humax unit with no success. Any thoughts?

16. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Don't accept what the 1st level cable reps tell you, in most cases these phone reps have absolutely no knowledge about what other departments are experiencing.

17. kblinco

kblinco New Member

May 25, 2006
    I want to know if Zimmerman got his situation taken care of. Also, I did bypass my box and TIVO recorded and burned the DVD as normal. However, you get no upper tier channels without the box. I have a COMCAST tech coming to replace the box and I am going to ask him about the situation tomorrow.

18. joewr

joewr New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say.

19. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Its the cable co. responsibility to remove those flags if your getting them... dont bother waiting for an answer call your provider and tell them to cut the sH1T!

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If for some reason you can't get this resolved try putting a "video stabilizer" (i.e. Macrovision remover) between your cable box and your TiVo. This should strip out any Macrovision flags before they reach the TiVo and keep you from getting flagged programs.

Dan