Copyright Rule Changes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by psphillips, Feb 11, 2016.

1. psphillips

psphillips New Member

Mar 24, 2011

Advertisements

I liked to use Tivo Togo to transfer programs from Tivo A (Premiere) to Tivo B (HD XL) on my Time Warner Cable. In the past most programs not on a broadcast network cannot be transferred because of the generous copyright protection Tivo gives those networks. It is such a broad set of protections that broadcast network secondary channels bringing us 20, 30 and 40 year old programming is also protected from transfer. So up until around January 23rd programs I recorded on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW and PBS could be transferred. Sometime after that (January 28 for sure) there is no program I can find I have recorded that I can transfer.
    So is this a bug in the Tivo Togo or has the copyright protections been stepped up? Anyone know?

Pat P.

P.S. Been visiting this forum for years. It has been helpful, thanks

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    TiVo honors whatever the cable company sends down in the CCI byte - they don't arbitrarily "give" protection to any channel.

If you post your TWC market, someone may chime in and confirm/deny they are seeing the same thing you are.

3. psphillips

psphillips New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I just spent the morning in a "chat" with TWC support (I have saved the contents of the chat). I went from Level 2 to Level 3 Chat support to get someone who understood my issue.
    Their position is that they do not control the value of the byte (that is NOT a quote, and I do not believe them) and that it might be an update issue with Tivo.
    I do not see anyone else in Tivo forum talking about this so I feel I am alone on this. Maybe there is a Level 4 chat :) I should have requested so I'd get someone who not only understood the issue but could actually have addressed it.
    Thanks for all the fish.
    Pat P.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not Tivo.. they respect the byte that TWC puts on the channel/show and TWC is overly aggressive and honestly they don't care.

Despite the fact that they normally do not protect the locals, they can apply for a waiver that allows them to encrypt locals in certain markets.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

It's all TWC's doing, whether you could get to talk to anyone there who understands the issue or not.

If we didn't know that otherwise, we'd know from the times and places where they "accidentally" set it on their retransmissions of local broadcasters' main channels until they were forced to change it by people complaining to the FCC about it.

The TiVos just obey the way the CCI byte is set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Unfortunately, the Series 3 HD does not stream or else you can stream copy-protected content from the Premiere. Streaming is the only way to bypass the copy-protection, since transfers are actually copying.

How are the Tivos connected, ethernet, MoCa, wireless? With ethernet or MoCa, you can get a Mini for the S3 connected TV and stream the copy protected shows.

You can then put/add an antenna to the S3 for recording the network shows since OTA never copy protects.

7. psphillips

psphillips New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I use a MoCa connection. I will look into what the Mini can do for me. Thanks for the suggestion. I was just thinking of perhaps adding an HD to the Premeire but your idea might be a better use on my money and address the issues at hand.
    Thanks

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Same(?) thing happened in Torrance with timewarner service.
    For about a week everything TiVo recorded was copy protected.

I contacted timewarner and requested to speak to an engineer in the "head end" office.
    Apparently these copy protection problems seem to occur in isolated areas, some one flips(?) a switch in the head end office. And, it can be that simple to reverse, IF you can speak to the right person.
    Anyway, that never happened; but the problem did resolve after about 10 days.
    I filed a complaint with the FCC (on line), never thinking it would cause such a stink... but it does.
    I got several calls from timewarner and the FCC along with email contacts.

Do call timewarner, insist that you are allowed to speak to an engineer in the head end office.
    Do file a complaint with the FCC.

I suspect your problem like mine will "self resolve" in time...

9. dstone

dstone New Member

Feb 13, 2016
    I am in the same situation as psphillips. I am serviced by TWC San Diego. The last date that I recorded a program without copy protection was 1/26. Every program recorded since 1/28 has had copy protection turned on.

I use Tivo Desktop to download programs to my PC for viewing on my laptop or tablet at a later date. This has worked fine for me until late January.

Based upon various web searches, i am starting to believe that TWC has messed things up for me. I called TWC technical support and spoke to a couple different representatives. Neither seemed to know much about the CCI, but they swore that TWC just passes the content through.

I just checked CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and PBS and they all had their CCI = 0x02. It is my understanding that these local broadcast channels should be all set to CCI = 0X00.

I have tried a few ways to download TIVO programs, but my Roamio enforces the copy protection and prevents me from downloading.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You need a four or six tuner Tivo for a mini to function. If you only have a dual tuner premiere, a mini isn't going to work.