Copy shows from an S3 to a S2 ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1 of 11
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Ok, so I know you can't take an HD show from an S3 and dump it on a S2 but can you take a non HD show from an S3 and dump it on a S2 ? The reason I ask is because I want to take a third TiVo (an old S2) and start transferring shows to it for people downstairs to watch since the S3 is upstairs in my room.

2. Nov 6, 2011 #2 of 11
    Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    You should be able to do this as long as it was recorded from an SD channel. I don't think SD programming recorded on an HD channel will transfer.

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 11
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You can transfer any non-copy protected SD material from the S2 to the S2 directly via MRV. You can also transfer HD material to an external PC (again, if it is not copy protected), recode the material to SD, and then transfer to the S2 via TTCB.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 11
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Ty for that, will give it a shot. I just wish I could get the $6.95 price for month to month on the "new" TiVo like I currently have on the S3. I think last I checked it was $9.95 so the $6.95 must be a grandfather price.

FWIW, everything needed to go S3 to S2 is all recorded under normal to get the most out of space and done on SD channels. As for copy protection, never ran into copy issues before with shows so who knows.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 11
    Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I need to learn more about this MRV!

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 11
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an S2(540040 w/400 GB drive) and an S2(649080 w/ 750 GB drive).

Both of these S2 Tivos are virtually totally filled with shows recorded by and transferred from my Tivo HD(Comcast, cable card).

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 11
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'll chime in with a "yes" for SD shows. I've done this between my S3HD and my S2DT - both directions.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This guy

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8795684#post8795684

got a Premiere and got them to move his $6.95 from his HD to it.

What you need to do is figure out how to do that and then get the $99 lifetime on the HD.

Then you can put the Premiere downstairs and impress everybody with it.:)

An alternative if you just want a TiVo to transfer shows to would be the $9.99 per month antenna only, never let the cable get near it Premiere.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 11
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well, the two TiVo's currently running in my sig are going to stay running... what I will be doing is adding a third (S2 DT) downstairs to transfer shows to for the rest of the family. Sooo, there wont be any transferring of plans... it seems the best I can do in way of a new plan is $9.95. I was jut saying I wish I could get the $6.95 price on the "new" TiVo.

Edit: FWIW, the S3 I have is the OLED THX version.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

To be very nitpicky, the thing that connects externally to your TiVo is a wireless adapter, not a network card. Cards go into slots on motherboards of computers (except for the aftermarket wired network 'adapters' that plugged onto a proprietary connector on the old Series 1 TiVo motherboards). Things with a USB plug at one end and an antenna of some sort at the other are wireless adapters.

Basically, your network is going to be as slow as the slowest thing on it, at least when that slow thing is talking.

The TiVo brand wireless G adapters with the USB plug on the end have a microprocessor inside that handles a lot of the computational overhead of Ethernet-ing wirelessly, so that the TiVo itself doesn't have to provide very many extra CPU cycles, just DC power via the USB port.

So a good wireless G router would let them communicate as fast as they can.
    An N router would do the same, but only as fast as the G adapters can do it, so no advantge there over a G router.

Of course an N router will be more "future proof" and might (you'll need to check the documentation carefully) be able to communicate at G speeds with the TiVo adapters and at N speed with with an N speed adapter in your computer(s), or the wired ports might be able to do 1000 instead of just 100 if you have a computer with an Ethernet port (RJ45 jack) that's 1000/100/10 rated instead of just 100/10 rated.

What brand and model of router do you have now?

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It's not cost effective to pay a monthly subscription on an S2. I would look for a used S2 with lifetime service.