Copy protection, something new?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by weetoots, Jan 13, 2010.

1. weetoots

weetoots New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii

Advertisements

Something new is happening.
    I have had my Series 2 since 2004. Ran it with a Sony 36" CRT, connected with component cables. No problems with any channel I received from TWC, Oahu.
    I recently purchased a Panasonic plasma, connected the series 2 with the same old component cables. Now when I record NOVA from the PBS channel, which is only broadcast in SD and HDTV, not digital, I see a warning plastered on the screen that says: "COPY PROTECTION,
    The DVI/HDMI output is blocked."
    Now I only have seen this with NOVA, which I record on the HDTV channel. I have not seen it when I record Antiques Roadshow, recorded on the same channel or on any other HDTV channel that I record.
    Is this program copy protected? TIVO recordes the whole hour but only with the warning message.
    Thanks. :confused:

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    There are so many contradictions in your post I doubt you'll get a valid response.

1. Series 2 don't have component outputs.
    2. Series 2 don't record digital HDTV
    3. Series 2 don't have DVI/HDMI outputs.
    4. HDTV is only transmitted in digital, not analog

A little fixup of your original post and we may be able to answer your questions.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    some of the series 2 with DVD had component outputs.
    The new TV could well have some firmware for the DVI/HDMI that has a glitch that is fired in the unaccounted for scenario of a series 2 hooked up via component.

Does the TV have a HDMI cable hooked up to something else?
    You might also try turning the TV on and then the TiVo to see if that makes a difference.

otherwise you may be best served by trying to search for info on the TV model and its digital inputs to find out what others have come up with.

4. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Are you using an HD cable box? Is the Plasma connected to the cable box with HDMI? If so the problem may be HDCP handshaking problem between the cable box and the TV, with your series 2 as colateral damage.

If you actually have a Tivo Series 3 or Tivo HD then the problem could also be due to HDCP but between the TV and the Tivo.

5. weetoots

weetoots New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii

Advertisements

My screw up, I am too old.
    It is a series 2.
    From the cable box to Tivo is S-video.
    From the Tivo to TV is S-video.
    From the cable to TV is HDMI 100 %.
    Yes the TIVO does record a HD channel but it is only digital, Not HDTV.
    Thanks andyf for setting me straight. :eek::eek:

Equipment:
    Tivo Series 2 2004
    STB SA 4250HDC
    TV Panny TC-P54G10
    User: too old to have this equipment. My first TV was 16" monochrome, ugly Sylvania. Remote - yes, me.
    My first car was a 1927 Ford Model T, with starter motor, and Ruckstell rearend.
    63,400 hard earned miles.

6. BlueEos

BlueEos New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Don't know how old you are, but I turned my odometer over to the 70 digit recently and I'm into running all the latest stuff along with some legacy equipment.

My Series II does have a component input, but only s-video and composite out. Don't know what that's about. I'm current running my Series II with s-video in and out.

My Tivo does record all my HD shows, but in what format I haven't a clue. Whatever it is, it certainly looks better that a straight composite recording. Most HD recording do not fill my screen. Instead, I end up with a small letterboxes on the top/bottom and left/right. Still, as I mentioned, it's a very watchable picture compared to a composite output.

If someone could explain the component input without output, I would be interest to know why the set is designed that way. Seems like t*** on the bull to me.

7. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    It's most likely that your TV is the problem. It's not talking HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) properly with the cable box. So the problem is nothing to do with your Tivo. Though if you may find some more information on this issue in these forums as the Tivo HD can act as an HD cable box and has similar limitations.

8. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    This whole subject reminds me to hang on to my series 1 TiVo. I've got a series 2 that will not record from an antenna, and a series 3 that keeps freezing up with a gray screen, I had to put a timer on it to reboot each night to fix that, and my series 1 just keeps plugging along, doesn't even know what copy protection is and may outlast the S2 and S3.
    Oh and my odometer just passed 58,000 if that means anything!