Copy Protection Flag with TWC

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by socrplyr, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1 of 111
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006

Advertisements

I just got cable cards installed in my TivoHD and it seems that all shows recorded from digital cable are marked with the copy protection flag. I have tried searching for stories of what people might have been able to get TWC to do, but wasn't able to find anything. Has anyone successfully gotten them to not put flags on all the channels? Otherwise, anyone have any ideas of who to call (support didn't have a clue what i was talking about of course). I am currently in Ithaca, NY.
    Thanks,
    Josh

2. Jan 29, 2008 #2 of 111
    DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I'm with Time-Warner in Dallas, and in the same situation. Nearly all the digital and HD channels are marked 0x02, which severely limits MRV'ing.

I thought this copy-protect flag was only supposed to be applied to the premiums--HBO, Showtime, etc.

Thanks,
    David

3. Jan 29, 2008 #3 of 111
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I am going to reply based upon what I know from for reading this site.

The only rule is that the copy protection flag can only NOT be set on retransmissions of OTA broadcasts (i.e. your local channels.) These must be sent as copy freely.

However, all other channels can be copy protected up to 0x02 (Copy Once). This can be set by either the network (ESPN, AE, etc.) or by the local cable company. Only PPV or VOD can be set at copy never.

Now from reading here, almost all non-premium networks are currently transmitting their feeds without the CCI bit turned on, so you "should" be able to MRV without hassle. The only networks that are using the CCI bit are the premiums (HBO, Sho, etc.)

It sounds like your local cable is adding the CCI bit to the channels. You should call them and inquiry why they are adding it to channels that are broadcast without it. Some on this board have got their local cable company to remove the copy protection from channels that are not supposed to have it, others have been basically told to "pound sand" and refuse to remove the protection.

Good luck.

4. Jan 29, 2008 #4 of 111
    dcollens

dcollens New Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I have recently been copying programs from my TIVO to my PC for viewing while travelling. I have had no problem copying episodes of The Bionic Woman, Journeyman and a few others.

Just this weekend I wanted to bring episodes of Medium over to my PC for the same reason, but it is showing up in TTG as copy protected.

I sent a message to COX explaining my problem and they indicated that this was being done by TIVO not them.

I have sent them another e-mail explaining to them that TIVO does not initiate this type of coding and asked them to do some further research to correct the problem on their side.

I'll wait to see their response, but have a feeling that it will be the same as they have already sent out.

5. Jan 29, 2008 #5 of 111
    h0mi

h0mi Member

Dec 28, 2007

Advertisements

I'm encountering the same situation with Cox San Diego. I sent an email to Cox and also contacted some entity in the city of san diego. The truth is, this makes me want to cancel my cable service and makes me reluctant to buy the Tivo desktop software... I record some content from OTA and more from cable, but almost all of it is protected.

6. Jan 30, 2008 #6 of 111
    kitk

kitk New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I had luck in getting a very small change from Cox San Diego after a lot of effort. I got them to remove the copy protection on the SD version of KPBS (channel 11). Otherwise they were unable to make any changes. Good luck.

7. Jan 30, 2008 #7 of 111
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I just noticed the same thing for many digital channels (Cartoon Network, National Geographic) with Brighthouse Networks. I haven't followed through on it (as it's going to be a nightmare) but just adding another data point out there....

8. Jan 30, 2008 #8 of 111
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I haven't been able to make any headway with Brighthouse in the Tampa Bay area either. All the digital channels (except for the locals) are 0x02. Occasionally there'll be a single show like on HDNet that is MRV'able, but it's very infrequent (and I can't explain why just a single show would have it turned off like that).

9. Feb 2, 2008 #9 of 111
    flynndt

flynndt New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I just upgraded to a Series 3 this week and TWC in Newburgh NY installed two M cards. A couple days later I went to transfer to my PC and everything was flagged. I checked the CCI Byte and most channels are 0x02. These are the same shows that my Series 2 transferred with no problem using a cable box. Strangely enough, I experimented a little and a clip of Lost on ABC was flagged but a clip of the same episode on ABC HD wasn't. I called Tivo and was told it was a cable company problem of overflagging. I talked to TWC up to the level of supervisor and had no luck. They said they don't "flag" and they've never heard of this issue before. A case number was established and they were supposed to call me back, but it's been a couple days. If this is really the case, why isn't this better known? Am I one of the few Tivo users who actually want to transfer recordings? Very unhappy about this!

10. Feb 2, 2008 #10 of 111
    DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    TWC was clueless when I contacted them also--they gave me a different 800 number to call, which was for roadrunner support. Obviously they just wanted me to go away.

How do you actually get to talk to someone that knows how their own system works?

TTYL
    David

11. Feb 2, 2008 #11 of 111
    saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    How can I tell if a channel is copy protected and find out if the 0x02 or copy never is turned on. I am using Cablevision in NJ and have no problems with copying to DVD with the exception of the Treasure HD Network (aka VROOM). The show doesnot show it is copy protected when I open TTG but when I attempt to downlaod it to my PC it runs for about a minute then stops downloading and TTG states it is done copying.

12. Mar 19, 2008 #12 of 111
    zingboy

zingboy New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    So is there anything we can tell TWC to get the question across better? I want my multi-room viewing back.

I had the same experience as flynndt. They had never heard of flagging. Said they'd call back and never did.

What information is going to help them understand?

13. Jul 9, 2008 #13 of 111
    masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I too am in Dallas using TWC and noticed just recently that the digital channels have the Copy never flag set. Has anyone had any luck with TWC customer service? I tried calling them and they are clueless with no desire to help.

Maybe another route would be to lean on TiVo to lean on TWC to help resolve this issue, since this is in Tivo's best interests to not having their DVR crippled by cable companies.

14. Jul 9, 2008 #14 of 111
    masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    After a 30min hold and conversation with a TWC CSR rep who had zero interest in helping me, I spoke to a supervisor (Sandra Lidia ext 7687) who was nice enough to discuss this issue. She said the source, i.e. TNT, determines the Copy protection flag and they rebroadcast it as directed. Even though I did mention I just had FIOS and never saw TNT set a copy protection flag. She mentioned I should contact TNT and ask them what the copy protection flag should be set to. She too would contact TNT and within TWC to determine how the CP flag should be set.

I suggest others (Dallas number 972-742-5892 (972-PICK-TWC)) call and hopefully we can get enough people complaining to get them to listen. Be sure to ask for Sandra Lidia (ext 7687).

15. Jul 9, 2008 #15 of 111
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    ah my old thread resurrected from the dead. I tried for a while working with TWC in central NY, but I didn't get anywhere. I canceled my cable due to moving and I haven't restarted it yet. I was thinking about adding it to watch some of the Olympics, but we'll see.
    Josh

16. Jul 9, 2008 #16 of 111
    masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I figured this is still an issue and no reason to start a new/separate thread.

Just called TNT404-827-2458 (channel I know I have specific issues). They do NOT set any copy protection flags. She said they receive calls like this and its generally the cable company not knowing the answer and getting rid of the customer.

Time to call back TWC and inform Sandra Lidia ext. 7687 of my findings.

17. Jul 9, 2008 #17 of 111
    masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    It might be easier to wait to post once I am done with all this, but I am forgetful and thought I would post as news arrives.

Just spoke to Sandra Lidia at TWC. She was taken aback that TNT does not set a copy protection flag. I gave her the tech support phone number and she said they would escalate to their technical support team to release the flag. She said it must be TWC setting the flag (finally an admission of guilt). Hopefully this will set something in motion to fix this issue (being very optimistic).

18. Jul 9, 2008 #18 of 111
    bananaman

bananaman Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm with TWC in NYC. I've asked my rep several times about the copy flag and he has been unable to get a coherent answer.

The paradox is that while all the highest rated shows do NOT have the copy flag set, some of my favorite lesser-known shows are copy-protected.

In other words I can watch CSI, American Idol etc. wherever and I want (another TiVo, a PC, a mobile device), but I can't watch Design Star, Wall Street Warriors etc.

Erm... don't the smaller shows want to be watched more? Do the advertisers who pay for ads during these shows know that TWC arbitrarily reducing the impression count they are paying for?

RCN is a better choice in NYC than TWC because they do not use the copy flag.

19. Jul 9, 2008 #19 of 111
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    the best bit of information that I can give you is try to get into contact with a support supervisor. For my local one I got the contact by asking the TWC installers/repair crew. Then I called the local office and asked for that person. These people are not the customer service you get when you call the line. The one I had spoken to was very nice and understood what I was talking about, but said he didn't know anything about why they were set that way and he couldn't change them. He supposedly emailed his supervisor (at a regional office) and later when I spoke to him he said that never got a response. At the time I was more interested in fixing some of the other problems I was having so I just let it go.
    Josh

20. Jul 9, 2008 #20 of 111
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If you find something out please let us know. No one has been able to confirm that this is TWC policy (that I know of) or if they just suck at running a cable system and thought it would be easier to set it and forget it.
    Josh