Copy programs from TIVO to DVR

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Rc59, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1 of 20
    Rc59

Rc59 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    I want to purchase a TIVO Series 2 and Pioneer DVR-633-S. After much research I selected the Series 2 because it seems to have the best interface for TIVO to Go and wireless setup. I selected the Pioneer DVR because it has a decent sized hard drive and DVD recording capability. I am a cable subscriber.

My hope is to be able to record shows to the TIVO and 1) copy them to the DVR then 2) burn DVD's for use in other DVD players. I didn't go the PC option because the transfer rates via wireless from TIVO to PC seem quite slow.

Will I be able to copy directly from TIVO to the Pioneer DVR? Once programs have been copied I know that I will be able to burn to DVD at a later date. I did spend time searching the site but failed to find answers to this specific setup.

Thanks all!

2. Dec 4, 2005 #2 of 20
    ReaDOnlYP

ReaDOnlYP Navy Nuke

Nov 20, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Why not buy a DRT800(or DRT400) which is a Tivo and a DVD Burner and another 40 hour series 2, which you could network together?

3. Dec 8, 2005 #3 of 20
    Rc59

Rc59 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Yes, good idea. It's too bad TIVO doesn't combine the functionality from the Series2 (wireless functionality for TIVO Central Online and TIVOToGo) with the DVD recording on the DRT400/800

4. Dec 8, 2005 #4 of 20
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Ok, this implies that the Pioneer recorder has a hard drive.. that's good.

You can also then (presuming the Pioneer has this capability like most of the hard drive/DVD recorders do) edit the show before burning to DVD. That's very useful.

5. Dec 8, 2005 #5 of 20
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I don't understand why someone with a Pioneer DVR/DVD recorder wants to first record to a TiVo then transfer to the Pioneer machine.

The best you'd be able to achieve in such a case would be an analog recording, so you'd be burning DVDs from an analog copy of the TiVo recording.

The Pioneer machine, tho', being a DVR itself, would be able to record such shows directly to its own hard drive, and then burn directly to the DVD.

WHY record on the TiVo first?

Don't get me wrong. I've heard that TiVo's user interface is the most user friendly of what few similar machines there are...and it's not like TiVo doesn't have its own DVR/DVDrecorder...

Why the combo of TWO such machines?

6. Dec 9, 2005 #6 of 20
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    This doesn't make any sense... The Humax DRT400/800 has ALL the features of the Series2 units - TiVo Central Online, TiVoToGo, etc. ALL of the TiVo DVD systems are 'Series2' boxes and have all the Series2 features.

7. Dec 9, 2005 #7 of 20
    Rc59

Rc59 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Does the DRT400/800 have a USB port so that I can go wireless? If so, this solves everything! I didn't think that it did, so I was trying to combine the wireless functionality of the series 2 with the DVD recording capability of the pioneer (or any other DVD recorder) for that matter.

8. Dec 9, 2005 #8 of 20
    megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yes, two in fact. The Pioneer, Humax, and Toshiba DVD TiVos are all full fledged Series2 TiVo units with *all* the features of that platform PLUS DVD.

9. Dec 9, 2005 #9 of 20
    peggylenox

peggylenox New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Lenox, MA
    I transferred a movie from one of my networked Tivos to my Pioneer 810 so I could easily make a DVD copy. When I tried, I got an error message that said it couldn't be transferred because the audio and video format was not compatible. So what does that mean? I've done it before, I think -- and they're both Series 2 Tivos. Interesting, when I clicked the video tab, I didn't get that error message. I guess I could transfer it to video and then to dvd, but that's kind of silly. Any suggestions why this happened? Thanks,

10. afearlessman

afearlessman gadgets challenged

Dec 13, 2005
    Middle of...
    Trying to figure out how to record from an old Hughes HDVR2 (151 prefix on the service number w/6.2 software) with 2 USB ports to a laptop hard drive then burn to DVD on the laptop. The USB ports on the Tivo are labeled USB for future use/expansion port. Can I do this wireless on my home network (not setup yet but have the capabilities)? I have 802.11 a/b/g and an ethernet card installed in the laptop as well as the standard 56k modem. Where do I start to accomplish this? HELP!!

11. lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    HDVR2's do not support Home Media features. There are 'hacks' for this.. but not in these forums.

for Pegglynox

You cannot burn shows recorded on one TIVO on another TIVO. You just can't. Software won't allow it.

12. peggylenox

peggylenox New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Lenox, MA
    Why???

13. lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    In summary:

Your S2 TIVO records at a resolution of something like 352 x 480 or 352 x 240 or somethign like that. Your DVD TIVO records the video image at 720 x 480.

A DVD-VIDEO requires a resolution of 720x480.

So.. your DVD burning TIVO can't burn it... and even if they let it.. most DVD players wouldn't play it properly.

14. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    A couple of reasons.

A non-DVD-RW TiVo records in a format optimized for recording broadcast TV balanced with run time. At 'Best' it normally records at 480x480, and sometimes 544x480, at about a 5.8Mbps bitrate. Audio is recorded at 32KHz. High is also 480x480, Medium and Basic are 352x480.

The DVD-RW units, however, have to adhere to the DVD Video specification in order to burn DVDs that work in standard players. So Best and High are 720x480, while Medium and Basic are 352x480. The bitrate at Best is about 9.5Mbps, High is about 5Mbps, etc. Audio is recorded at 48KHz.

There is more to it than that too - the DVD spec mandates other MPEG-2 settings, like the GOP (Group Of Pictures), etc. So even though Medium and Basic are at the same resolution, in addition to the audio being out-of-spec, other MPEG-2 settings are as well - and the bitrates are different. (Which is why Basic on a DVD-RW unit really looks worse than Basic on a non-DVD-RW unit. The bitrate is lower to get 6 hours on a 4.7GB DVD.)

So, basically, the video from a non-DVD unit is just incompatible with the DVD Video standard.

Then there is a reason on top of that - in order to burn the DVD, the unit doing the burning needs metadata that it saves when it does the recording. This metadata is only written on the DVD-RW units, from what I understand, AND it isn't transferred with the video over MRV. Even if you have two DVD-RW units you can't transfer the video between them and burn on the receiving unit.

15. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    is it possible to edit out commercials when using the "save to VCR" feature when recording to the Pioneer DVR810H from a Directv DVR unit(Philips DSR704)? thanks

16. dogg003

dogg003 New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    It took alot of time, but i was able to record from my Direct tv Dvr to my new humax dvr/dvdr, then record that program to a dvd-rw. the memorex dvd-r's ive had did not work, but the tdk dvd-rw did work. All i did was plug my directtv dvr into the front of the humax, go through the steps, pick the program and your on your way, i would suggest recording in the best quality possible.

17. deejai

deejai New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Spring...
    I have a Hughes HDVR2 and want to purchase a a unit that will burn DVDs.
    I am DirecTV subscriber. I have movies saved to the drive on the Hughes that I want to burn to the new (not yet purchased unit).
    There seems to be a lot of conflict on this thread as to whether this is do-able.
    If so should I get one with a hard drive?

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is not really a Tivo question. The best place for questions like this is the DVD recorder forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=106

But basically -- of course it's do-able (with the normal copy-protection provisions -- i.e. some shows may have the copy restrictions set on them, and likely more in the future).

If you want to do ANY editing, whether removing commercials or even easily saving ~10 minutes from an hour show (without having to carefully record JUST that part and stop exactly on time), then you want a hard drive. Basically, I'd say you want a hard drive even if you think you don't.

But if you just want to record entire movies, or ENTIRE programs and don't care about having commercials in them and are willing to record 'too long' (either manually stopping, or setting up an approximately the right length recording), you could it with a standalone DVD-recorder alone.

19. lmk911

lmk911 New Member

Dec 17, 2000
    Northern...

Yes. He can record from his DTiVo to a standalone DVD Recorder with a hard drive and edit out the commercials.

DirecTV has not implemented macrovision, so recording to the hard drive or DVD should not be a problem. I strongly advise you do not purchase a Toshiba DVD recorder.

The Toshiba "Copy Never" discussion on the DVD Recorder forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=623007

It is best to ask this question on the DirecTV Receiver with TiVo Forum: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

or the AVS DVD Recorder forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

This forum is for non-DirecTV TiVo units.

20. baum001

baum001 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    see my forum: angry and frustrated. Spoke with Customer support it will not work. Too bad it does not tell you that on any of their info. rip off :thumbsdown: