Copy HDD to use in same TiVo with the videos still on it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Raymond Day, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Raymond Day

Raymond Day Member

May 13, 2002
    Belleville MI
    I got a old TiVo Elite Model: TCD758250 with life time and I want to sell it but have a lot of home videos I put on it long ago from my computer that don't have any more.

So I got a repair type same Model from eBay and wile I waited for it used Linux to DD copy the 2TB drive to a new one I got. I tested it and it worked the same in my Life time TiVo.

When I put it in the eBay one it took a long time to boot and when it did none of my videos were on it.

This eBay one don't have life time or even linked to TiVo.com. But I thought I could watch my videos still on it and sell the life time one after clearing it all out.

Is there a way to do this. Maybe have to copy it another way don't use a DD copy?

-Raymond Day

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Once a hard drive is married to a TiVo unit, it cannot be moved to a different TiVo unit.

Your only chance of saving the non copy protected programming or other content, would be to upload it to a computer, I use kmttg.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The shows on the drive are encoded to the specific Tivo that its on so no matter how you copy a drive, it will not copy and be seen on the other.

The only way is to have both on your tivo.com account and subscribed. You can also transfer shows to computer and transfer them when the other is subscribed.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could activate the ebay tivo on your account at the monthly rate and transfer the recordings from the lifetime tivo to the ebay tivo. If you cancel the subscription on the ebay tivo within the first month, they will refund your payment for the first month. Then you would be able to watch the recordings on the ebay tivo even without a subscription.