Copy files directly from TiVo disk?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jswartz, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jswartz

jswartz New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Swarthmore, PA
    My Series 3 HD XL seems to be dying. It locks up when I have the network connected. It seems to be OK when the network is not connected and I use the phone line to download listings. I know the drive is fine because I replaced it and am seeing exactly the same symptoms. I'm thinking of buying a new unit, but I have a bunch of shows on the current 1TB disk. Is there any way to copy the files from the disk to my computer? I know about copying from one TiVo drive to another, but that won't help me in this case. Normally I would back things up over the network, but clearly that's not an option. I have lifetime service on the failing unit, so I'm not concerned about the DRM, just the disk format.

Is there a Windows program or driver that would allow me to read the MFS format on my TiVo drive?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    AFAIK, nobody has figured that out. I would do it very often (even living with the ~10+ minute reboot), if it were possible.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Suggestion:

Find a compatible USB network adaptor and try to connect that way.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Is it possible that there is a rouge switch, router or PC on you network sending toxic packets to the DVR?

Because you have already removed the drive you might want to run the manufactures boot from CD diagnostics on the original hard drive using a PC. There may be some corrupted sectors that (long shot) might be repairable.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I doubt the color of the switch or how much face powder it's wearing have anything to do with it, but it might be worth checking to see if it has gone rogue.:)

I'd definitely be just as suspicious of the network itself as the TiVo's Ethernet port.

As for your suggestion to run the manufacturer's diagnostics, it probably couldn't hurt and would help rule out the drive as the culprit.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say, "when I have the network connected", do you mean when you have an Ethernet cable plugged into the jack on the back of the TiVo?

Or are you using a wireless connection?

Did you assign your TiVo a static IP address?

If not, do so, can't hurt, might help. You do not have to go all the way through Guided Setup again to do it.

Go to badcaps.net and lcdalternatives and learn about "capapcitor disease" and how to look for it, then closely examine your power supply.

When you have a power supply that's "almost" working like it should, you can get all sorts of mysterious symptoms.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I really hate it when machines wear too much makeup.

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There are tools to read MFS, yes. You should ask in the Underground section, or on the unnameable forum.