Cooler for Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mwwilliams10, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hello:

I just got Tivo HD (after many years of owning S1s and S2s) and think that it is great. However, my new apartment is generally warmer than my old ones. I would like to cool my new Tivo (without cracking the case) and have heard that laptop coolers can be used. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with this or another method?

Thanks in advance.

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I noticed that you didn't get any answers yet to this, so I thought I'd add my two cents worth.

I would not think that your apartment temperature would have much affect on the internal temperature of the Tivo. As long as the Tivo is getting air circulation (not enclosed in a cabinet) it should be fine. You can check the internal temperature by going to the System Info screen. As long as it stays at 50 degrees or lower there should be no problem. It may even be able to withstand higher than that, but that is where mine usually runs.

If you do have a problem I have heard that there are USB fans that you can use, but I'm not familar with them.

3. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Appreciate the response. I thought I was being ignored - it was just like being married all over again :rolleyes:

I think I will try the hockey puck trick to give it a little extra circulation.

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I'd get a laptop cooler if I was you.

Check the TiVo internal temp. before and while using the cooler.

5. nellee

nellee New Member

May 26, 2002
    San Francisco
    I have a laptop cooler and it dropped the temp of the HR20 by 5 degrees or so.

Unfortunately, the air vent for the HR20 is slightly off where the fans are on the laptop cooler so it is not as optimal as it could be. I try to position the fan right under the vent which is closer to the front, but then the cooler is closer to the front, and the slot that the air goes out is in the back which is now not as close to the tv stand back where the cables come in to push the air out.

I did place a bottle cap to give it a little lift to grab more of the hot air, but not sure if that is helping.

Maybe Weakness should build something? :p

6. justin99

justin99 New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    How do you go about checking the temp?

7. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Tivo Central->Messages and Settings->Account & System Information->System Information.

It's towards the bottom of the second page.

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Here is a cooler for Tivo that you may already own:

Its called a Refrigerator.

Simply place the Tivo Unit in there, and it will run nice and cool :D

LOL.

9. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Continuous temperature is less damaging than changes in temperature. In other words even a seemingly high constant temperature in your Tivo should result in longer life than if you increased cooling and caused it to follow the temperature of the room.

10. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Sure, that sounds like the easy answer but where do I keep my beer, Mr. Know-It-All?!?!? :p

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The beer should be stored in a separate folder. :)

12. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I've used 2 liter bottle caps. Free but effective. I've since switched to usb powered laptop coolers but I think the bottle caps did more good. :)

One consideration about those temperature changes, when I go out of town for an extended period (especially summer) I turn everything possible off and pull the plugs from the outlets. With no A/C running the temps get a might high and the air often humid around here with only a ceiling fan for circulation.

13. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The Beer can safely be stored in the same Refridgerator as long as there is no danger of a slightly drunk person accidently grabbing the Tivo by mistake and trying to force the Tivo down their throat. :D

14. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Yeah, yeah - sounds like a simple solution. Trust me, after 12 beers, it's not as simple as it sounds.