Cool HDMI over IP matrix switcher on Kickstarter.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Feb 26, 2018.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  2. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Very interesting concept but I suspect it will run afoul of DRM issues before it can be both functional and come to market.

3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Interesting thought. Since both HDMI switchers and HDMI over IP were legal, I didn’t think this would get in the way of DRM in any way. It would be a very cool way to manage multiple outputs at a business or a bar.

You can have 3 or 4 receivers and easily manage the output from a central location.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Possibly dumb question -- is it possible to get HDMI switching much faster than current TVs switch "easily"? i.e. they all take several seconds, which is annoying ("first world problem"), compared to switching composite inputs for example.

I realize, to do it non-easily, the device could theoretically have all HDMI connections powered/connected at all times and only display the current selection, but that would cost a lot more, and be a lot more difficult.

Maybe some existing TVs DO switch a lot faster?

The delay is the major reason I don't switch inputs as often.. (Also, I get used to whichever Tivo remote I'm using most, so now am used to the Roamio Pro remote slightly more than the P4 remote, so 'drive' the P4 from my Roamio, except when absolutely necessary..)

bradleys likes this.
  5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Actually many to one switchers are legal as all sources are given the one display's DRM rights. One to many switchers are not as the DRM from one display (or a spoofed one) is given to the source and the video fed to many displays. This is compounded in a many to many implementation and is not legal for DRM.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Source?

I use HDMI splitters on a regular basis without issue...

-KP

7. giomania

giomania Member

Aug 25, 2017
    I saw in the FAQ that someone said they purchased a similar item in Amazon.

I looked up a 6x6 HDMI matrix switch which would cover my needs, with a lot less cable clutter, and no results on top of the Amazon search query.

I will have to look harder to see if these are affordable or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, you're using products that do not follow HDMI properly. That's just simply a fact. Heck, if they even SAY HDMI they're probably violating a copyright TOO.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Source?

-KP

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Do you really need a source to tell you that breaking HDCP is not legal? If that is really a serious question, here is a link to Wikipedia's article on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What I'm saying is that you're wrong and making stuff up...clear enough?

-KP

mschnebly likes this.
  12. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    So your position is that a splitter that strips HDCP is not in violation of the DMCA as a device that removes encryption from digital media?

13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I believe that I very clearly stated my position.

And now you've started putting words in my mouth and changed the argument.

-KP

14. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    My conclusion from the above exchange was that you thought jcthorne was incorrect in his assertion that the devices in question would not be legal, and challenged him to provide a source for those assertions. Apparently I was wrong and interpreted your remarks incorrectly.

You say you use HDMI splitters on a regular basis. By that do you conclude that the sale of those devices and your subsequent successful use proves that they are a legal product, or are you trying to say something else by that statement?

15. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pure TCF exchange. The essence. Coincidentally, there is a new Jm J Bullock thread.

16. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If by that you mean two people pointlessly discussing at cross-purposes, I cannot disagree.

Is there some reason you didn't provide a link to the referenced thread? Leaving it out obscures your point.

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Apparently several people made a wag about something they were unable to backup. Therefore, they're most likely wrong.

-KP

18. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Back on topic:

I still think this is very interesting technology and device.

Being able to distribute content via Ethernet to many endpoints from many sources. Easy to configure, simple pre sets.

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I agree.

I've been using HDMI Matrix' (and pseudo) for quite a while. It's my preferred way of getting picture and sound distributed.

The HDBaseT stuff can be pretty expensive.

-KP

mschnebly likes this.
  20. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    HDMI repeaters/splitters are perfectly legal, and can do their work without breaking HDCP. Check out just about any mid-to-high end AV receiver for examples. Most have multiple HDMI outs which allow a single HDMI source to be shown on multiple displays. So, apparently some here think Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc. are selling illegal products.

kpeters59 never said anything about stripping HDCP off. That was a red herring. jcthorne's claim that "one to many switchers are not (legal)" is just plain wrong.

kpeters59 likes this.