Convince me to keep Hydra

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by vascott1, Aug 18, 2018.

1. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

Thinking I have my last chance to potentially move over my recordings (again) next week while my partner is away for the week. Will be easier :)

I was on a Roamio and moved to the Bolt. I also have 2 Tivo Minis. I "upgraded" on of them the other day. It is attached to a 40" TV. The other a mush smaller TV. That is still talking to the Roamio. I have been giving Hydra a good, fair shot. The interface is frustrating and the number of extra steps needed here and there is frustrating as is the reliance on the back button. I totally see why they did it to fit the interface.

The mini is sluggish at best and for some reason if I pause a show and go get coffee when i come back I cannot hit "play" it just sits there. If I rewind a bit and then hit play as FF it works. Not sure what is going on there.

So, just wondering if anyone can make a compelling argument to keep Hydra. I already spent way more thanI expected with the $99 lifetime transfer. I didn't notice till order that 6 tuners required the 3TB unit. The thought of having two buy over time 2 replacement next generation minis t $170 each is not a good option. The old ones are perfect for my needs and not connected to 4k TVs.

I am all for progress and seeing what Tivo does to fix this but want to decide what to do before my ability to stream and transfer goes away and before the fall TV season starts when I will start recording way more shows than I should!!

Thanks for all the great input the board affords. Great community here.

Scott

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Rollback and wait for next summer to see how much has changed. I have TE3 and TE4. I will drop TE3 when TE4 becomes more valuable to me.

3. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I can't convince you to keep Hydra because I could only stand it for about 3 days before I downgraded to the old UI. :)

tivochiguy likes this.
  4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Why would you have to buy 2 replacement next generation Mini's?

Scott

5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

I've got one new Bolt on Hydra and I'm keeping it at that. The "Spouse Acceptance Factor" has mandated that nothing else will go to that for now.

I'm mostly pleased with it and not prepared to revert back as I'm more inclined to try something new. Convincing you to keep HYDRA? I've got no compelling arguments for it. I like the voice remote and that's only available via Hydra. But, past that, no other reasons.

6. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    You won't find a lot of people in this forum trying to convince you to keep it! LOL. I personally like the old one better.

7. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    The reason I would think of replacing the minis is that they are very slow with Hydra.

8. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    same here but my partner is ok with it and says "you can't let this beat you, it is progress" haha. I am so torn about it. The extra clicks to do things are what gets me the most. It is a good looking UI, Just wish they had a "simple mode" with less huge picture blocks.

ohboy710 likes this.
  9. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    The font size is smaller.

10. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    In the user and preference options in Hydra menu "recording options" you can set that to "no" , for additional options. That at least cuts down on some of the extra clicking.

11. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Not sure what you are referring to. Set what to “no”

12. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Sorry, the setting I was referring to can be found under "one pass and recording Options/user preferences. At the bottom, is "always display options". default is yes. Set to no.

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    The longer I use the Bolt with Hydra, the happier I am with my decision to keep it. I decided to link a mini to it, and much to my surprise, I found that the host can still view/use the tuner that the mini is using. FF, rewind, pause, QuickMode, slow, etc works independently of the other.

For a football fan, that's a big win in the column for keeping or upgrading to Hydra. The older UI seizes the tuner on the mini and is unusable to the host.

Not relevant to your question, which is the here and now, but I could potentially see a way that "TunerSync" could be implemented in a future release. That would be a big deal for some TiVo users. :cool:

14. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Hydra is like these new forum interfaces, here and other forums started to use. Extra clicks and complications for no reason.

Want to quote someone it takes 3 selections, quote, quote these messages and insert quotes. What a pain. The old format you just selected quote once.

15. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'd want to like Hydra, as I'm getting used to it now. I still have muscle memory with the remote from my Premiere, so that mixes me up a bit using Hydra. My biggest dislike with it is not being able to transfer my shows from the Premiere.

rdrrepair likes this.
  16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you just select reply it will quote someone with a single click (or if you want to selectively quote someone's message, you can highlight the section/sentence and then you are given the option to +quote or reply.

The only time you have to use the +quote and insert quotes is if you want to quote from multiple messages or want to make separate quotes of only parts of 1 message (and the latter you can really do manually after replying to the entire message.

Scott

snerd likes this.
  17. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Thanks, this quote was easy using reply.

18. Sibedog

Sibedog New Member

Aug 27, 2018
    I just got a replacement Bolt with the new UI (which I am hating) and was wondering about the transfer option as I couldn't find it. Just 1 of a multitude of things I don't like about it. Waiting for them to be able to switch me back to the old UI. I can't deal with it now with having to set up so many One Passes, Wish Lists, etc.

19. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Same here. Run as fast as you can back to the old interface.

20. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Once I embraced the back button, hydra was just another interface. It has some pros and some cons. I figure it’s best to get used to it as it is the way forward and at some point the old ui won’t get any updates or new features.