Convince me to go TiVo over TWC's leased DVR?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Skullbussa, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Skullbussa

Skullbussa New Member

Mar 19, 2010

Advertisements

I come here as a complete newbie but after seeing videos of the Premiere in action I am left desiring the much-improved UI of that device over Time Warner Cable's clunky DVR that I am currently leasing.

That said, I am having a really hard time justifying the expense of a TiVo Premiere as it seems to me the dollars just do not add up.

Here is my situation:

-Time Warner cable
    - living room TV connected to leased HD-DVR ($15.25 a month)
    -bedroom TV connected straight to jack, no set-top box

I don't care about having 2 DVRs....one in the living room is enough. However, I would really like to have some sort of box for the bedroom TV so I can have guide access. A non-DVR HD box is $7.50 monthly.

Premiere - $300
    Annual Service - $130 (~$11 a month)
    CableCARD - $2.75 a month

It seems the monthly rate is essentially a wash vs. leasing a DVR. In other words, I'm paying $300 for an upgraded UI. This isn't taking into consideration any technical difficulties I have getting my TiVo configured with TWC, something I don't need to worry about with a leased DVR.

Can someone convince me my #s are wrong or if I am missing some part of the bigger picture?

2. poopsie

poopsie Member

Dec 27, 2003
    You pay for luxury and convenience with Tivo. If you can afford a BMW, but a Camry is good enough for you then go with the Camry. You really have to have used one to appreciate it. Does the cable DVR do Netflix? Does it transfer shows to your computer to watch at another time? Does it stream Youtube? Does it stream your music and pictures from your computer? If you need those, get a Tivo. If you want a great UI and Tivo functionality, then you do pay for it. Otherwise, save the money and get the cable DVR. Plus, you will not have VOD with Tivo, so if that matters it could be a deal breaker right there.

3. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Not sure anybody has to "convince" you to go to Tivo, if you want to do it, if you don't then don't do it. I can tell you what I like about my Tivo and then let you decide.

I don't buy my Tivo's with monthly or yearly subscriptions, I buy the lifetime. So I needed to factor in how long I am going to keep my Tivo. I have had my Series 2 for about 5 years now. If I paid $15/month over 5 years, that's $900 I would have given to my cable/Fios company. But since I paid $200 or $300, can't remember, for my lifetime I didn't lose money. I also got a Tivo HD and ordered the Premiere.

The thing I like best about my Tivo that the cable DVR doesn't have, is that I can transfer my recordings to my PC and make DVDs of the TV episodes. I don't have to buy my wife's Desperate Housewives season 1, 2, etc which cost a lot of money for a season. I can also put those shows on her ipod if I want to. I also use streambaby to go from the PC to the Tivo of any videos that I have stored on my computer, which is really cool. And finally, the best thing about my Tivo HD is that I can get Netflix.

So you make your own decision, and be happy about it either way.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My TiVo Premiers with Lifetime will end up costing me around $13.89(after discounts) a month each over a 3 year period. Although the one cable card will cost me $3.99 amonth. So with cable card, each month over 3 years it's $17.88 a month. Over four years its $14.41 amonth. And over 5 years it's $12.32 a month.
    I also ordered the 3 year warranty on those boxes which is included in the price.

I'm also not including what I will get from selling my old boxes. For exisiting customers it's a win-win situation.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

A Moxi DVR with a mate for upstairs viewing and guide data is 799$ with no monthly fees. Takes care of both rooms so

7.50 for upstairs cable box + 15.25 a month for cable DVR = 22.75 - 1 cable card for Moxi to view in both places 2.75 a month = 20$ a month savings

800/20 = pays for itself in 40 months while you get to enjoy its use over the clunky cable company DVR good only in one room.

6. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You're numbers may be correct, but you are comparing apples to oranges. The TiVo is a premium product with a premium price tag. People do not buy Series 3 or Series 4 TiVos because they are cheaper than the alternatives. They buy them because they like what the product has to offer and are willing to pay more for those features. It is obviously impossible for anyone to tell you whether or not the TiVo makes sense for you. All we can do is tell you why it makes sense for us. Ultimately, only you can decide if the benefits gained by going with a TiVo over Time Warner's equipment are worth paying extra for. You've already done the math, now you have to do some soul searching.

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Actually this does NOT take care of him as the Moxi Mate does not provide any guide data, which he said he wanted for the upstairs room.

TiVo is a luxury item that you get if the cost is negligible for you. A TiVo OR a Moxi will be vastly superior to the cable company garbage boxes.

Keep in mind that you will have to have a tuning adapter for the TiVo if you are on TWC and people have had issues with them.

8. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I have a similar situation, except that I currently have TIVO HD XL and was planning to buy the Premier for my other TV. I just found out that TWC is going to switched digital cable in my area, and I am now very reluctant to fork out the money for a new TIVO when I am not sure that it will function right. As of now my plan is to see how well my HD XL works with the tuning adapter before buying the Premier.

9. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I think that is a very wise decision.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    A software update will likely add guide data and scheduling recordings via the mate. The updates happen pretty frequently. Also I have not heard of similar problems with TAs on Moxi. The OP may well be the kind of person for whom a Moxi bundle is the better option

11. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I would consider capacity. Most (all?) have only about 25 hours of HD programming capacity. The olympics would have crushed me on a cable DVR because I was recording up to six hours per day while still recording the normal stuff. Most of the events were of little interest so it was nice to be able to zip through the stuff I didn't care for.

For me, though, if it weren't for the capacity, I doubt I would have purchased TIVO just for the video download capability, streaming, and the interface. I also have two Apple TV's and use them for rentals. Plus the Apple TV handles my pictures and music library better (with no subscription).

No one has yet come out with the single all-in-one solution in my opinion.

12. Skullbussa

Skullbussa New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Oh lovely. Do these tuning adapters cost money? Are they purchased or leased?

To the others:

I am definitely willing to pay for a premium product. $300 is negligible to me. I am more concerned about putting myself into a constant technical battle with Time Warner than spending a few hundred bucks on a Premiere.

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    which is it :confused:

14. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
  15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
  16. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    In light of this information, I highly recommend that you thoroughly read the Time Warner tuning adapter bug thread:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7099348#post7099348

17. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Some great answers, other than those posted by pod people.

BTW, I have TWC and I don't need a tuning adapter.

18. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Just to add to the confusion, the CCI byte will interfere with the downloading of anything other than locals to a computer. This also applies if there were a 2nd TiVo and MRV was invloved.

Which is why Moxi + TWC seems to be a popular suggestion. And who said we're not tolerant here :eek:

19. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Good point. If the OP lives in a market where Time Warner isn't currently using SDV, then the tuner adapter problems are irrelevant. Of course, it's always possible that SDV could be deployed at some point in the future, so it's best to jump into the purchase with full knowledge of all potential issues.

20. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Not sure of what kind of battles you might be facing. I have two TiVo HD boxes on Comcast (no tuning adapter) and have never had to call them about anything. We love our TiVos and although you might not think you will use the ability to transfer shows between rooms it is a great feature.

Initial cable card install is always a PITA since they don't know what they are doing, but in my experience once the TiVo is up and running it's pretty much forgotten that you are on cablecard at that point.