Convince Cable Provider to do CableCard self-install

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BrennanU, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1 of 25
    BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio

Advertisements

Hope this is in the right section. I am having trouble getting my cable provider to let me do a self-install of the cable cards. I would prefer to avoid the $15 fee. I finally conceded and told the guy to schedule a service call for $15, but they are never in when I am home. Any suggestions on convincing them for a self-install?

TIA,
    Brennan

2. Dec 3, 2007 #2 of 25
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Get a job at comcast?

3. Dec 3, 2007 #3 of 25
    Combat Medic

Combat Medic No guts, no glory

Sep 6, 2001
    San...
    Which cable company?

4. Dec 4, 2007 #4 of 25
    BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
  5. Dec 4, 2007 #5 of 25
    brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.

Advertisements

Good luck trying to get cable cards without them rolling a truck. You would think that they would not have a problem sending out a truck if they knew it woulf free them up to help customers that really need the help but nooooo.

I've tried with Comcast and the lady at the desk looked at me like she had no clue why I wanted a cable card for my TiVo. She then told me to call the 1-800-Comcast number and arrange an install...

6. Dec 4, 2007 #6 of 25
    jtodd939

jtodd939 New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I'd like a self-install as well. It's the main reason I haven't requested a cable card. And I refuse to use the box for digital cable. So I'm stuck.

Self-install should be possible. I hate Comcast, nothing but problems.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #7 of 25
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Self-install is entirely possible -- but it's a business decision by your cable company, and you're stuck with it. It's more than likely that your particular provider's techs probably can't figure out the installation -- so how could they expect mere civilians to do it?

8. Dec 4, 2007 #8 of 25
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    I tried with CableOne here in Biloxi but didn't have any more luck than most other folks. So I took a day off from work and had time to run some errands while waiting for the call from the tech.

He called while I was watching the local hockey team practice and I ran back home just in time to meet him. He had two S-cards ready to go and actually asked for the directions that TiVo included with the HD box before he started. He told me he had done one other TiVo/cablecard install and wanted to double check the procedure. While he handled the cards, paperwork and calling back to the office to the pairing completed I ran the remote. It went quick and easy and is working great.

9. Dec 4, 2007 #9 of 25
    dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    Be happy you only had to spend $15 for the install. Cablevision charged $46 (Sept. 2006) and I basically did the install for him. In fact,I spent more time on the phone troubleshooting it than the tech did.

10. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    $100 for install from buckeye cable in Toledo, I'd LOVE a $15 install fee.

11. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Good luck. I asked the same question to a Time Warner CS rep on the phone when I was told there would be a $19.95 fee for the truck roll. I specifically asked if there was any way I could get the cards and do the install myself to save the $20, and was told no. There's probably no way around it.

I have no idea why the cablecos are so protective of these cards, or if it's just a last-ditch effort to recoup a little cash from the money they're losing by not renting out STBs.

12. kdorff

kdorff New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Honestly, I am glad they did it (and not me). The guy knew what he was doing and it took a half dozen or more phone calls and at least two hours. One of the cards didn't work right, and the people on the phone were something less them helpful to HIM - just think how bad it would have been if they were talking to ME? This was with Optimum / Cablevision. Yes, it cost $46, but it would have been a REAL pain.

All that said, it is ridiculous that it is so difficult even for installers to install Cable Cards. It SHOULD be a much simpler process. It should be they give you two cards that are pre-activated, you install them, the card talks to the home computer, and enables itself. Instead it is call the support folks, read them the card number, install the card, read some numbers, watch some counters, do this and that. What a pain it is - no wonder they charge $46 to install cable cards.

I have read a bunch of Cable Card install stories and none or almost none of them say "it was easy, took 5 minutes". Most of them include "one of the cards turned out to be bad", etc.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, it's not like it's a high standard to begin with.

14. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I believe it has to be done that way. There's no way to "pre-activate" these cards because the Host ID is generated from a combination of the card ID and device ID (which is why a paired card cannot just simply be removed and placed in a different device to work).

An additional problem is that the pairing usually needs to be done by communicating directly with someone at the dispatch office, which is usually something that not even the cableco CS reps can do. The installer usually must contact dispatch.

15. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Wow, you're complaining about a $15 install fee... that's a STEAL! Cox in Santa Barbara wanted to charge me $60 for EACH cablecard ($120 total) but I convinced them to waive the 2nd since it was completely ridiculous.

I know, I know, giving the cable company any more money just encourages them to continue to gouge, but in reality, $15 isn't that much for having them come to your house and install the 2 cards and they're then on-the-hook for getting them to work. If you did it yourself, and things didn't work too well, how responsive and sympathetic do you think your cable company would be?

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    But they already allow that sort of thing for home broadband installations for years now.

Ideally, they should be able to do something similar with Cablecard installs.
    You pick them up or they drop them off or drop ship them to you.
    You install them and call in the pairing information or enter it in on their website.

But Cablecards aren't the revenue stream that Broadband is so they drag their feet....

17. fatespawn

fatespawn New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Chicagoish, IL
    I for one am getting my Comcast installed tomorrow.... we'll see how that goes.

I'm in Chicago, and the fee here is $79 for the install. They charge a one time fee of less than $2 for your 1st cable card and no extra $$ for the second. The guy is going to come out and set up my Cable, internet and phone. He's going to run a TON of coax to my computer on the other side of the house. They "give" you a free STB in addiition to your cable cards... that's the only way you'll ever be able to buy any PPV, so it's worth it to them... amazing they still charge rental fees :)

I think the whole process will take a couple of hours outside in the cold and snow of Chicago. I think $79 is a fair deal. For some people who already have all the "cable ready" cabling ready, $79 might be a bit much, but for what this guy is going to have to do to my house, I'm getting my $$ out of him. Nobody should scoff at $15.... I mean welcome to america for goodness sake. You don't get something for nothing.

There's nothing wrong with trying to save a buck or fighting what isn't fair ($60 for a second CC install?!), but think of what the installer is doing for the lay-person.

I'm going to sit on my butt while he/she spends a couple of hours on the phone with some person trying to get my phone/internet/cc working. I'll be warm while he is running coax to my upstairs bedroom and office outside in the 20F snowy weather.

I mean, sometimes their jobs may be a cake walk, but the bottom line is that for MANY customers, it isn't as simple as plugging in a cable card in someone's living room.

-fate

18. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    CableOne originally told me it would cost $30 for each of the two S cards. Ended up being only a single $30 fee so after seeing some of the costs in the thread I'm pretty happy.

Well at least have a hot pot of coffee ready to go for the tech!!

19. fatespawn

fatespawn New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Chicagoish, IL
    Of course! One of my standard M.O.'s is to bribe any laborer with small tokens of thanks. It's amazing what a hot cup of joe in the morning might net you. (or a cold beer if your the last guy on the list for the day :)

20. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I did a self install by just buttering up the ladies at the front desk of my local Comcast office.