Converting Tivo files to HD on Mac

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dmontgomery, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've got a Tivo Premiere and Tivo Premiere Elite. I work on a Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel system.

Here's my problem: I work at a television station and record all of our News Programs in HD. I would like to download specific shows to my Mac using Toast 11 and convert them to an HD .mov file for editing in Final Cut Pro in HD.

After downloading from the Tivo and hitting convert, Toast is telling me:

"Your video will be exported at 640x480 resolution, the maximum size allowed by TiVO."

Is this really true??? I need it in HD... 720 at the least. HELP! There are no copyright issues here so how can I make this happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't use the TiVo, copy them at the station from their equipment to a portable hard drive.

Unless you don't want them to know you're making the tv equivalent of a radio announcer's aircheck tape 'cause you're job shopping.:D

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok... not very helpful... please don't waste my time with answers like this. Either it can be done or it can't but "don't use the Tivo" doesn't do me any good.

First: It's not called an aircheck tape, it's called a reel or resume' tape.

Second: Not "job shopping"... looking for a solution to a problem.

Third: For a number of reasons (yes I've discussed this with our engineering department) recording HD airchecks (8 half hour shows/day) to our internal server for any extended amount of time is not possible.

Finally: The TiVO's are located "INSIDE" the building and our "INTERNAL DEPARTMENT" records the shows... My general manager would like to know if this is possible so we can use the HD quality "airchecks"!

I would appreciate any "helpful" advice on finding a solution to my problem.

Thanks.

4. bostlaw

bostlaw Member

May 16, 2005
    Wow

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My apologies to anyone who may be offended by my last post... I'm a professional with over 15 years in the business and under an extremely tight deadline on this. No time for advice on "tv 101". I need help from people serious about finding solutions to problems... I know you're out there.

6. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I would skip Toast and just use kmttg

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Forgive my ignorance but what is kmttg?

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
  9. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    I use iTivo to copy shows to my Mac but I have not tried doing any HD post-processing with them. I would think once they are on the Mac you should be able to convert them with Apple's MPEG2 codec and QuicktimePro.

10. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    I find KMTTG way too obtuse to use. I just tried out iTivo and that seemed to work great for a simple conversion - it will also drop the show into iTunes if you like which is super for AppleTV owners - and those that like to use EyeTV for 2 extra HDTV tuners as well.

11. en sabur nur

en sabur nur Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Is there any Mac software that can remove the commercials before putting them into iTunes?

12. SRHookEm

SRHookEm New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Try iSkySoft Video converter. It's $35 and should do what you want. I transfer the TIVO file to my Mac via Toast and then use Video Converter to convert to any format I want.