Converting Tivo files on my PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bobcmil, Aug 2, 2016.

1. bobcmil

bobcmil New Member

Mar 9, 2016
    What happened? I used to be able to download my TiVo files to my PC using Desktop, and that still works. However, I can't edit the files using ROXIO anymore. I get a message that says there's some kind of restriction on them. That's the reason I got Roxio in the first place years ago. KMTTG doesn't seem to work anymore either. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I searched these Forums and couldn't find anything that was current on this topic. (Maybe I looked in the wrong place.)

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    KMTTG should work. You just need to enable the decrypt/decode check box before you start the download.
    Another program that works is TivoDecode. Its what KMTTG uses. Also make sure the Media Access Key (MAK) is entered correctly in KMTTG.

.TiVo files are basically an encrypted MPEG2 video file.
    Using the Decrypt converts it into .MPG file.

3. bobcmil

bobcmil New Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Well I'll be... All of sudden KMTTG is working again. Just downloaded an old DARLA from the rebooted MTV channel. Checked the settings and I had the wrong IP address. Still wish ROXIO worked though. I could convert and edit in one program.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    VideoReDo TVSuite 5 will directly load .tivo files, edit, and convert.

I bought Roxio years ago and gave up on it long ago. Apparently you had a better experience.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I had the same experience. I found Roxio unusable but VideoReDo is the cat's pajamas!

6. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    VideoReDo is the boss! Converting .tivo files to h.264 using the acceleration in Skylake is lightning fast.