Converting from DTV...Will ever have the same HD channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Okeemike, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Advertisements

I am converting to Brighthouse from DirecTV, and am worried that I won't ever get the same HD channels that DTV is set to offer by the end of the year.

Does anyone know if TWC / Brighthouse has plans to expand their HD offerings?

2. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Everybody has plans to expand their HD offerings. The only question is when they will complete those plans. If you haven't already heard of their plans then I would guess it won't happen in 2008.

3. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Go Gators!

That's what I was afraid of.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    LOL!

Directv brought out 21 New HD Channels Yesterday. So they are very much on Target for 150+ HD Channels once the New Birds are up and fully operational.

Cable cannot compete with Directv for HD. Do you really believe Cable does not suffer from Bandwidth problems? Think again.

Not a single Cable company has any plans to expand their HD offerings like Sat has. Cable is becoming behind in Technology. Look at what Directv has been working on: New Birds, New HD Channels, New Equipment, Udated Services etc etc.

Cable is falling behind. I am sorry for the OP :D

5. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Advertisements

I kind of thought this would happen, however, having the TiVo will make up for it. The DTV DVR was driving my whole family nuts.

6. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    OK, I thought again ;) While technically cable has restricted bandwidth, there are ways around that restricting delivery of more channels into the home. Have you read the threads on SDV? One of several of the drivers for that is indeed to allow them to provide many many more channels in the same bandwidth. Don't think satellite can do that as easily as cable can (not practical on a national basis, but is on a local basis). It's gonna be an interesting revival of the DBS vs. cable wars, and hopefully the consumer will win.

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Adding Bandwidth to Sat Nation wide has just been done, and will continue so.

With the New Bird up and operational, and another nearing completion, Directv has already added Bandwidth. So yes it is very much Practical.

Cable is our City is terrible. Basically the whole infrustructure needs redoing, something the Cable Company will not do. It would take alot of time, and Dollars to do. In the meantime, Consumers suffer. it is not uncommon for Cable to go out here every 2-3 Days for Hours at a time.

And Yes, I have been following SDV. But it appears SDV brings a major problem to Tivo.

Cable. Tivo pondering SDV Problem

"While TiVo's new high-def-capable Series 3 DVR will support the Multistream CableCARD, the device itself can only handle one-way cable services. Although it's equipped to take in digital cable services without the need for a separate set-top box, it can't do interactive services like video-on-demand, either. Interestingly, the Series 3 has dual CableCARD slots, but that only ensures that customers can take advantage of the device's two tuners and record two channels simultaneously."

So on the one hand, Cable Bandwidth improves. but on the other, you just killed the Series 3 Tivo, and since this is a Tivo Forum, that does not go down too well does it :D

8. jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    No more directv....and HD light....FIOS is better