Converting an old TIVO to HD.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wolfie3216, Aug 31, 2009.

1. wolfie3216

wolfie3216 New Member

Jun 24, 2004

Advertisements

I have an old Toshiba SD-H400 that I rarely use anymore after I bought my Series 3. I've kept it all these years because it has free Tivo Basic installed. The problem is the picture looks pretty bad on a new HDTV.

So I found this device that converts an S-Video signal output to 720p HD.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-to-hdmi-scaler.html

If I could turn in my old SD-H400 into a TIVO HD for less than $100, that'd be great. Just wondering if anyone has tried to use a converter like this. Thoughts? Do they work? Picture any good?

Wolf

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Just one thought - garbage in, garbage out. While upconverting the signal from your current Tivo may make it look slightly better on your HDTV, it's definitely not HD so don't kid yourself. If you want a Tivo with HD capability, get yourself a Tivo HD, XL, or S3.

3. wolfie3216

wolfie3216 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanks for the response. That was my initial thought: Garbage in, garbage out. But from reading the specs on the website, it's hard to believe the picture wouldn't be a lot better.

Taken from the site: "This Composite Video or S-Video + R/L Audio to HDMI Scaler not only meets the ideal image of the HDTV but also meets the need of the enthusiasts requirement for audio. It improves the interlaced video signal into 720P progressive signal."

Has anyone out there actually used one of these converters?

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-to-hdmi-scaler.html

Wolf

4. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Your SD-H400 already does progressive scanning if you use the component video outputs. (Set the switch on the back to P). It looks pretty darned good on my HDTV.

5. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

Well not THIS converter, but my HDTV up-scales 480i to 720p. I doubt that this $100 up-scaler will do any better than your HDTV already does. Saveyour $100.

6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I agree with PP. I'd be shocked if this box does a better job upscaling then the scaling that's otherwise done by your TV set.

It might make a very small difference if your TV set doesn't have an available S input but has an available HDMI input.

7. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Check searsoutlet.com for new Tivo HD boxes at around $100 or so. Also check nearby Sears stores. Sears seems to be willing to get rid of these for cheap.

8. wolfie3216

wolfie3216 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanks for the responses, guys. My question has been answered. I'm saving my $100. I realize I can get a Tivo HD for cheap. I just don't want to be saddled with anymore monthly bills.

I find it really hard to watch SD TV after seeing HD picture. The pic from the SD-H400 probably isn't as bad as I make it sound. It's just not HD. I bought a new Samsung LN40B650 (120hz) last month. The SD pic is good, but doesn't come close to HD quality.

Wolf
    -------------------------------
    Tivo Series 3 (Lifetime) using 2 Verizon FIOS cable cards.
    Toshiba SD-H400 (Tivo Basic)

9. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    A lot of the current HD programming is in 5.1 Dolby sound. I don't see how this scaler is going to give you that level of audio.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That quote is apocryphal. There is no proof he ever said it, and he has denied saying it.

11. satmaster

satmaster Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Louisiana
    Well mine works just fine on my HD Tv. I dont use the progressive component video outputs because the closed cap doesnt pass through.

If you dont want that box give it to me. Would work great in a bedroom.