Convert Tivo to DVD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stormydog, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010

Advertisements

I thought I was doing everything correctly until I tried to create a dvd (because the hard drive was filling up). But ran into a problem with Sonic MyDVD.

I am using Tivo Desktop v2.8.
    DirectShow Dump v0.1.1
    Sonic MyDVD I think an older v3 (came with my Dell many years ago). I do not think I can upgrade to newer version without buying the newer version. Something I prefer not to do.

So I dowmload tivo file to my pc using TivoDesktop. I them convert using DirectShow Dump creating a Mpeg file. When I try and import into MyDVD, get error about Divx.

I am not that knowlegeable about different codex and video file versions. The mpeg will play on my computer in Windows Media, but wanted to get video off of hard drive to free up space and be able to watch on my TV. My TV does not have a PC hookup.

I would appreciate some direction about Divx and Sonic or another path to persue, using the many free software available.
    Thanks

ps. I did some searching and found many references but they were not the same as my problem and I quickly became confused. So I did try to find a solution first.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What model is your TiVo? Really after what resolution are your videos?

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Which hard drive is filling up? The tivo or your PC? I would skip dvds if possible and just save on the PC.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I prefer PyTivo and KMTTG.

Use TivoDecode.

You might be able to use this with Tivo Decode, but prefer to use VideoReDo TVSuite.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

I agree. Try Tivodecode.

For authoring and burning DVDs, try DVD Styler. It's free.

6. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I use VideoRedo. The trial is free down load it and see if it does what you want.

7. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks for the many responses so quickly.

I have a Tivo Premium xl
    It is my pc hard drives that are filling up. My Tivo gets pretty full sometimes and I need to download them if I plan to watch them much later, not right now. I only have several hours a day to watch tv, so shows on the tivo can accumulate faster than I can watch them.

I wll have to check to resolution of the videos. Some are 480i, some up to 1080i. I dont know what DirectShow uses, must be a default because I dont know that much about resolution to change it. I dont know that MyDVD expects. The DIVX message threw me for a loop.
    I have made DVDs using MyDVD before from youtube, but they were from FLI files.
    I thought it would be just as easy.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The .TiVo files are DRM encrypted and you will need TiVoDecode to remove it. The programs needs the use of your Media Access Key or MAK to decrypt. After that they are just MPEG2 files and if your MyDVD can either burn to make a DVD playable disc, that will work. I do not know where the 'Divx" message came from since Tivo does not record with that codec.

9. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    DirectShow dump will also remove the Tivo wrapper. It sounds like you need a place to store the shows until you are ready to watch them. I had the same problem so I bought the WD expander to give me the extra space without having to open up the case.

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I like to use HDTV2DVD. It's a freeware program that lets you take a HD transport stream (i.e., .ts file) and give you two outputs. One is a 720x480 mpeg file and the other is a VIDEO_TS folder containing the converted file that's ready to be burned to DVD.

You'll need to copy the recording to your desktop using kttmg, Tivo Desktop, etc., and then decode it using tivodecode. You can then run it through VideoReDo to edit out commercials and convert the output to a transport stream. You then drag and drop the .ts file into HDTV2DVD and click on the Make DVD button in the upper left corner. Final output is as good as any commercial DVD I've ever seen since it's true 720x480 resolution. I believe it also retains the Dolby Digital soundtrack if it was recorded with one.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you're going to use VRD to edit, or need it to convert to transport stream, you could skip the tivodecode step, since VRD will read the .tivo file in directly.

The TVSuite version of VRD ($75) will also generate and burn the DVD starting with the .tivo input. Whether you use HDTV2DVD or VRD TVS, an HD input will have to be resized (i.e., recoded) to the DVD format (720x480) which is compute-intensive. The question would be: which program does the recoding faster/better?

If one wanted a completely free process (e.g., kmttg, tivodecode, HDTV2DVD), what could be used to generate the .ts file that HDTV2DVD apparently needs?

12. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks, I am learning something now!

Though I have made DVDs before, this is the first time I tried to put a Tivo onto DVDs. I will try and recreate the MyDVD message and search for a resolution. I prefer a free process because I am not into editing or spending a lot of time creating a dvd. Just want to be able to put dvd into computer and watch show as easily as possible. Maybe then I will desire to persue a better way of handling and better editing when making a dvd and will then buy the recommended software.

Thanks, I will try and investigate all that has been presented here.

I did look into HDTV2DVD.
    I am not clear where I would get a .TS file is using HDTV2DVD.

13. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Good to know. I haven't worked with .tivo files in quite a while so I couldn't recall if VideoReDo worked with them directly. I just opened up a VRD session and it does have .tivo as one of the file types listed.

That all depends on the speed of your CPU. Obviously a faster processor with get it done much quicker. I don't recall HDTV2DVD taking an extraordinary amount of time to convert a file. I've converted 2-hour HD movies to DVD format in under an hour, IIRC.

Just run the file through VideoReDo and set the output to .ts format. You can edit and convert from .tivo to .ts in one step. However, you've still got to transfer the file to your PC first.

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    But that's not a free process (what I asked about).

A poaaible solution might be tsmuxer:
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
    but I haven't used it so I'm not sure.

15. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    It's free for the initial trial period (I don't recall how long it is but I believe it's somewhere around 14-21 days, IIRC). When I first tried it many years ago, I think I only tried it for about 2-3 days before I decided to buy it, and I'm really cheap when it comes to buying any software. VideoReDo should be on anyone's PC that plans on converting .tivo files to DVD. It's well worth the price of admission.

16. ffitzgerald39

ffitzgerald39 Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Buffalo...
    A simple way to do this using Tivo desktop files is with Roxio Creator 2012. This is supplied in a reduced version with Dell and other computers. You might have to upgrade to the full version.
    Simply open a project in My DVD and choose the file from My Tivo files on the PC. Click on burn DVD and the program does the rest. Roxio recognizes and converts Tivo files and burns at 8x speed. It will adjust program quality to fit on the disk i.e. 4.7 GB. These play on any DVD/BLU RAY player or computer.

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    What about editing capabilities? I think most people would prefer the option to cut the commercials before burning to DVD. The VideoReDo TVSuite allows you to edit and burn .tivo files directly to DVD.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    While I agree that VRD is well worth the price (and author a program to automate its use - link in signature), the OP has made it pretty emphatic they much prefer a totally free solution.

The uncrippled free trial for VRD runs for 15 days, and to be uncrippled it requires performing an online trial registration reached by a menu item in the program (after installing it).

19. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Everyone would prefer a totally free solution, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it. I'm not aware of any freeware programs other than TyTools and the various apps mentioned that will do what the OP wants. I'm not even sure TyTools is a viable option anymore as I haven't used it in years.

The point is, if you plan on doing a lot of DVD creation from Tivo files, bite the bullet and buy a copy of VideoReDo. It's an invaluable tool for any Tivo owner. It's probably the closest thing you'll find to an all-in-one solution for editing and authoring Tivo files.

20. malayphred

malayphred Underpowered User

Jan 29, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Does VideoReDo create dvd's from KMTTG files?