Convert .TIVO files to another format

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by KEG, Aug 28, 2020.

1. KEG

KEG New Member

Aug 28, 2020

Advertisements

I have several files which I downloaded from my TIVO and which are saved on an external hard drive. TIVO is no longer licenced in my country of residence although I still have the TIVO recorder. Can I:

1 Convert the files to another format? If so, how?
    2 Reload them onto the existing TIVO box to view them?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    They should just be MPEG2 video files in a .tivo container. You should be able to pull the MPEG2 files out of their .tivo containers using a program like KMTTG, so long as you know the MAK (Media Access Key) of the DVR (TiVo account) on which they were originally recorded.

New program for 1 step TTG downloads, decryption, encoding - kmttg

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Converting TiVo files to any other format is pretty simple; I used to do it a lot, along with editing to remove any unwanted parts, add intro clips, etc.. I have well over 10,000 movies and other programs in my home library that were originally recorded on a TiVo and then converted to some better and non-proprietary format.

There are a number of options for tools to do this, but the only one I liked and used almost daily was Video ReDo. Not free, but very reasonably priced and not hard to use.

4. McGee

McGee New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA, New York.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Did you use pyTivo Desktop to download? If so it includes a copy of tivolibre you can use to decrypt the .tivo files to standard .ts or .mpg files. From there any program should be able to open them.

Or if you want the easy way VideoReDo can open .tivo files directly. Then you can edit out the commercials and save to another format all in one step.