Convert season passes to title wishlists

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by mikerr, May 21, 2011.

1. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Convert season passes to title wishlists. v1.1

A tivoweb module that replaces the standard "season pass menu" with an enhanced version:

• Bulk convert all season passes to best quality (or any selected quality)
      this module is based on my previous module to do only that

• Add a Title Wishlist for every Season Pass
      note it no longer deletes the old Season Passes - that's now left up to you

Features / Notes:

• Can be useful to keep both SPs and wishlists, as TiVo is clever enough not to record duplicates.
      E.g SP will pickup primetime episode, but may not be able to record it due to a clash, the wish list will grab it from the +1 channel

• The priority order is retained from the season passes.

• Season passes (SPs) are tied to a channel, while Title Wishlists are not channel specific
      This can cause the wish list version to grab old series - this is good and bad...

• SPs can change title, wishlists being keyword based cannot

• Also be wary of short titles like "CSI" or "Star Trek" which would grab all variant series
      also wishlists tend to grab the ominbus in the case of coronation st etc, SPs don't

• Should be useful to retain your SPs when converting to altEPG (which loses SPs, but retains wishlists)
    • Can be used post-altepg to recover SPs restored with the backup module into working Wishlists

Install:

Easy download & install via

% install vseasonpass-module

(if you have the easy install script )

Otherwise just extract,and ftp over to tivoweb modules directory, and do a quick reload.

Version history:
    v1.0 - 21/05/11 Initial release (based on my older bulk edit SP module)
    v1.1 - 23/05/11 Checks for duplicate wishlists, handles manual recordings
    Now carries over First Run / keep at most settings, added delete links

[Also added sp2wishlist.tcl standalone script to do the conversion]

Coming soon - multi delete and priority sorting.

Screenshot:

Attached Files:

2. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    Nice :) I shall be using that when I've put in a new 1TB drive to change all the SPs to Best. Thank you.

3. davidshack

davidshack Peripatetic member

Aug 17, 2002
    perpetual...
    Superb idea - thank you.

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Cool :)

I spelt telnet wrong first time but otherwise only took a few seconds to install :)

Automan.

5. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    Works well for me :)

Attached Files:

6. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Haha, not a power user then ? or have only just done a wipe/start over?

7. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    second one :D - it was time for a clean out anyway. I've got all the old ones backed up just in case.

8. Dougal

Dougal New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    UK
    BTW, don't Season Passes also look on the +1 channel? I think if I set up Season Passes for programmes X & Y, the TiVo will add the first showings (assuming no clashes) to the ToDo lists. However, if I then subsequently add a programme Z season pass that overlaps with say programme Y, TiVo will automatically switch to recording programme Y from the +1 channel.

i.e. I don't think Wishlists are needed to cope with this particular situation. Am I correct, or are there certain situations where the TiVo won't reschedule its recording to the +1 channel on discovering a conflict?

9. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    No. Season passes have always been tied to a single channel.
    (Still this way on the VM TiVo BTW)

If you use "view upcoming episodes" from the season pass menu onscreen,
    it will list episodes on other channels (and you can select them to manually record)
    - but won't record them automatically.

10. Dougal

Dougal New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    UK
    Right, OK - as you say, I had noticed that if you go into "View episodes" it shows +0 and +1 episodes and only has Season Pass/to be recorded ticks against certain viewings, but for some reason I had assumed that was because it was being smart and only showing ticks against the +0 or +1 channels depending on what the conflict resolution code had currently decided it was going to record.

Now I think about it, perhaps I have always been aware of how it works, but the fact that "View episodes" makes it easy to switch a Season Pass onto the alternative +0/+1 channel has I guess made it feel like it was being smart even though it has required intervention from me.

So, I wonder:

1) Is it possible to set up a Season Pass on each of the +0 and +1 channels, and if so, is TiVo still smart enough not to record both showings?

2) If it is not possible to set up a Season Pass on each of the +0 and +1 channels at the same time, does TiVo automatically cancel the +0 Season Pass if you subsequently request a Season Pass on a +1 channel showing?

11. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It works exactly as option (1) above - many people do that

- but this module was written for two reasons:

1) Wishlists span all channels, and increasingly programmes are reshown across multiple channels, not just +1's
    2) Wishlists are maintained when you move to the post-June 1st EPG, Season Passes are lost.

12. asfafa

asfafa Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bridgwater, UK
    Thanks for this script Mike. Much appreciated.

Just one caveat - I installed this script but in my Season Pass menu, I didn't get 'SP->Wishlist conversion' option, only the option to change the recording quality of my SPs.

I realised that I also had vseasonpassquality.itcl installed, and once I had renamed it, the conversion option became available.

I noticed also that the new wishlists have been set to 'Repeats & FR' and doesn't retain what the SP was set to. Is there a reason for this?

13. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Isn't that install script wonderful :)

Thanks for the work on this - it'll be invaluable in a week or two

14. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Probably stupid question, but, I've got TivoWebPlus v1.3.1 which looks very different from the screenshot. Is this module ok to use with this version?

Cheers,

Matt :)

15. jrg

jrg New Member

May 26, 2002
    London, UK
    ditto.

there's another little niggle - it'll create duplicate Title wishlist entries, if you happen to have more than one Season pass for the same programme title (it's happened to me, when Tribune started new numbers for existing programmes as they've done a few times.)

Oh, and it breaks if you have a Manual recording in your Todo list. I suggest removing any of those, first.

16. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Have downloaded the zip and ftp over to tivo but the module isn't showing in the menu. I guess it is because in the itcl file, the register_module line has been commented out?

dbobj $sp set Priority [expr [mfs scancount $seasonpassdir] + 1]
    set fsid [dbobj $sp fsid]

event send $TmkEvent::EVT_DATA_CHANGED $TmkDataChanged::SEASON_PASS $fsd
    }
    #register_module "seasonpass" "Season Pass" "Edit season passes"

17. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It doesn't have its own top level menu, it replaces the standard tivoweb season pass menu in user interface/season pass
    or access directly at http://192.168.1.200/ui/seasonpass
    No reason other than simplicity in 1st version - I wanted a release out quickly to do SP->WL (not least for my own use!)

18. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    New version uploaded:
    v1.1 - 23/05/11
    Checks for duplicate wishlists, handles manual recordings
    Now carries over First Run / keep at most settings, added delete links

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Excellent news as losing the current First Run and Keep At Most settings would destroy the main value of converting Season Passes to Wishlists automatically for many of us.

Only 9 days left to go until June 2nd and the final moment of truth!

20. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Tried updating mine with the install script

It says
    Which I installed yesterday

How do I know which one I have (there's no comment inside the script with the version number.....)