Convert .MPEGs to .TIVO files

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by skinsjoe, Jul 24, 2007.

1. skinsjoe

skinsjoe New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Can you convert .mpeg files to .tivo files to transfer them to your tivo box and watching them on your TV? Is there a certain software I need? I have a Series 2 Tivo if that is important. Thanks for your help.

2. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    If your MPEG has the right specs, your Series2 TiVo will copy it over. Just put the MPEG file in your TiVo Recordings folder and eventually it will show up in your PC's folder at the bottom of your Now Playing list. Select the MPEG to copy it over. In Mac OSX, you stop and restart TiVo Desktop to force the TiVo to list the MPEG now; otherwise, you have to wait a while (~15 minutes?). I don't know the similar procedure in Windows.

If you use TiVoToGo to copy the MPEG back to your PC, it will arrive as a .tivo file. I'd recommend keeping the original MPEG and not using the TiVo as a backup device, as attempting to do so hasn't always worked for me. "Tis many a slip twixt cup and lip."

3. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
  4. skinsjoe

skinsjoe New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for your help. I will check it out tonight to see if I can get it to work. :up:

5. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    You can download a "Sample Video Clip (MPEG2)" in the right format for TiVo and test out this feature. The video clip is available at http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/dvrchive.cfm

6. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I actually just discovered the awesomeness of doing this, since I have a lot of AVI's of shows, and can't stand watching on my computer. Don't know why it never occured to see if it was possible.

Anyway, I'll be honest, the process can be a bit lengthy (time-wise), but that really depends on your connection speed. I'm connected via wi-fi so it's a bit slower then if you have a hardline connection.

I convert my .avi files to MPEG2's, set at (i think) 720X480. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes to convert a show (about 44 minutes). Once that's done, you move the file to your "Tivo Recordings" folder under My Documents. Then, go into your Now Playing List on the tivo, and at the bottom you should see a little computer icon, and the name of your network. Go in there and you should see your file. Select it, then pick "Start Transfering now" or whatever it says. You can watch while it transfers, but it's annoying, so I just let it transfer while I do other stuff, then once its completed, the file will be in your Now Playing List.

Have fun...it beats watching stuff on the computer screen

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Check out TiVo.Net or pyTiVo (see my sig) and you can eliminate the unnecessary step of converting .AVIs to compliant MPEGs and just transcode the .AVIs directly onto your TiVo.

8. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    That's my next adventure. I did a little looking around on the boards the other day and I did see that method mentioned, but what I was reading seemed to go beyond what my brain is willing to comprehend, haha. Is what you mention a direct way to transcode the avi's? What I mean is, is it "user friendly" for someone good with computers, but not too good?

thanks!

9. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yeah, both will take, for example, a DivX file and transcode it on the fly as an MPEG-2 to your TiVo.

They not exactly install-and-go, but there are threads here on TCF with lots of people willing to help out if you get stuck.

10. toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Will either of these programs with with Tivo's new HD box?

Thanks
    Todd

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    No, the S3 and the THD don't have TTG/TTCB enabled yet.

12. toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I know this probably isn't the right place but is there a way to play divx files on the THD?

I've been a Tivo user for 5 years but the last 4 years has been with DirecTv and I'm now making the switch and getting a THD.

I woud love to be able to play my divx collection on my new Tivo instead of buring to a DVD and playing with my DVD player.

Thanks!

13. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The TivoHD and Series 3 Tivo currently DO NOT have TTG or MRV. The only way you could get any divx files on there would be to take the HD out, hook it to your Comp and do it that way.

14. Stringerace

Stringerace New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    So, I looked through the options and I downloaded visual hub and it seems to take forever and a day to convert the files 150 minutes for a 600mb file. I'm using an ibook G4. So any suggestions for streaming or just a simplified quick transfer method. Thanks.