Convert HD programs from Tivo to mp3

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Raver, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Raver

Raver New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I’m trying to convert my Hd programs from Tivo Desktop to my mp3 player. The conversion is taking way longer than imho it should. MY PC is an I5 750 w/ 8g of ram, so it should be plenty sturdy enough to accomplish. Not sure why it’s taking sooooo long and never finish. I’m using windows media player to convert just as I did w/ the non-hd stuff and works just fine. Any settings that I should check?

I tried pytivo and couldn't get it to work, just brings up a dos command window, am I doing something wrong?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    pyTivo isn't meant for converting files to a mobile format, it's just for sending video back to your TiVo. Once it's running (that DOS box), assuming you have it configured correctly, it should appear at the bottom of your TiVo's Now Playing List.

You say you're trying to convert for an MP3 player, but I'm assuming this is a player that supports video and you're not just trying to convert a downloaded video into an audio (MP3) file. TiVo Desktop should work for this, although I know I've seen posts on here from people having trouble with the conversion process (I've never experienced it myself).

You might want to check out kmttg, which can automate the download and conversion process for you.

3. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Tivo desktop plus is suppose to convert tivo files to mobile devices.

4. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Yes I would look into purchasing Tivo desktop plus. Anyone know if it spits out mpeg2 as well? right now I use free tivo desktop and then run the files though videoredo to convert to mpeg2 but that is a 2 step process. Then I burn the shows with free imgburn software to bluray disks as data files where I can play on the PC, Playstation and my 83 year old father can play them on the network/media/BD player (no it wont play tivo files, thus the need for the conversion) I gave him for under 100 dollars.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    mp3 is an audio only format.

pytivo will download shows from a tivo and convert them to mpeg2 video and pcm stereo audio in a .mpg file. I suggest not going the tivo desktop plus route.

If you want other file options, check out kmttg. Users seem to like it but I have not needed it.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, on a Mac, I used to often use MPEG Streamclip to do this (so that I could listen to various shows as effectively a podcast).

7. Anne12

Anne12 New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Yeah, Tivo desktop plus had upgrated with this feature:)