Convert DVD's to VUDU

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Aug 26, 2014.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

Yeah, sometimes I am a little late to the game, but I find this very interesting and not terribly priced.

http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

It provides you an application that will rip your DVD / Blu-Ray and place it in Ultraviolet for viewing on Vudu apps.

$2 for each DVD / Blu-Ray conversion... $5 to upgrade a DVD upload to HD

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't think it is correct to state it will rip your DVD/Blu-ray, the title is already there, your account is now given access to it. The last time I did this, convert 10 or more and each are $1.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I stand corrected - I believe it just verify's the title on the DVD and places it in your library.

I wonder what type of DRM is in place, if any, to ensure you are not capturing Netflix or Redbox physical media?

If TiVo were to add a Vudu app, would this be a popular alternative to local library shares of archived DVD's for people?

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Vudu is a great UV locker service and rental service, very high quality video and audio. I have been using it for years but I don't care if TiVo gets the service or not, I am skeptical it could be done properly. I don't know if current TiVos have the power to handle all primary DVR functions simultaneously to streaming a Vudu HDX title at around 9Mbps but others have indicated it won't be a problem. Their claims are based on a guess as far as I can tell or based on the fact Netflix can be handled which doesn't mean I believe it is possible but it may be. The DRM requirements are different, not sure if TiVo can handle it or not.

As far as not being able to redeem rentals, many rentals are easily identified as a rental so I am sure Vudu kicks those out routinely. The rentals that are just retail versions obtained by the rental company are probably going to get through, I see no way Vudu can identify those. I don't know what the percentages are but it seems most rentals I have gotten from Redbox lately indicate rental on the disc itself.

5. godsey1

godsey1 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Crossville, TN

Advertisements

I tried 4 different disc's from Netflix, and the Vudu system seen that it was a rental and wouldn't convert any of them. There is something on the disc that says it a rental. There was a thread on the Vudu site that states you can't convert any rental.

Tony

6. TiVoMonkey

TiVoMonkey New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    The Jungle
    I have done this before with Ultraviolet, and it's ok. And like was said, it doesn't rip the DVD or Blu-ray, just matches up to an already existing digital copy on their servers.

One problem I found with it though, it does not recognize all versions of DVDs. So if you have some obscure special edition version that had a disc they don't recognize as the movie, then it won't work. I'm not even sure how to go about informing them that it's a real version of the movie. And it's not worth exploring for me, since it isn't free.

7. Sep 3, 2014 #7 of 11
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It seems like people would add their movies to vudu and then sell them.

8. Sep 3, 2014 #8 of 11
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    That's why it costs $2 to convert a disc. Given the cost of most movies there, you aren't saving much.

9. Sep 3, 2014 #9 of 11
    NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    In the case of an obscure edition not being recognized, you can 'load' the film into your movie list and then take the disc and your list into a WalMart (to the photo center), and they will add the movie to your Vudu locker.

Details here: http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Of course the TiVo can handle a low bitrate Vudu stream. I think the highest they hit is 20Mb/s. I have seen my Roamio Pro hit 178Mb/s transfer rates and it still keeps recording from the tuners. I don't see why there should be any issue from a lower bitrate streaming service.

I haven't converted any discs in a long while. I did several dozen back when the prices were half price or something just to test it out. And it mostly worked well. But I don't use VUDU that much any more. Nothing like I did between 2007 and 2010 when I used Vudu almost daily. I still have several of those original 2007 Vudu boxes around somewhere. I wonder if they still support them?

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My DSL sucks in the evening running at 1.2 Mbps right now (was 5.9 Mbps this morning when I tested it) same every day so I hope the Tivo Vudu app allows downloads (same with the updated Amazon one). Right now I can download Vudu videos from my library to my PC but I can not download rentals. You can download rentals with the Vudu app on a PS3, so I am hoping they do the same with the TiVo Vudu app.

Regarding converting DVD/Blu-ray disks to Ultra Violet - we have converted about 30 works pretty good and price is ok if you wait until you have at least 10 to do. Most new movies come with a UV codes so this is mostly for your older stuff.