Convert Digital Signal for Roamio OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by aovituser, May 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. aovituser

aovituser New Member

May 17, 2020
    Hello,

I am currently using an indoor antenna to provide a signal to an Roamio OTA. The signal quality is good but not great due to environmental factors. My apartment provides a digital signal through the coax outlets that contains the local over-the-air programming. Sending that digital signal directly to the Roamio OTA does not work. Can the digital signal from the coax outlet be converted to a signal that the Roamio OTA can read? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio can only receive digital signals. The other coax signals may be different frequencies than from your antenna. Either re-run guided setup with that coax connected (if their lineup is listed) or re-scan the channels (may not have guide data.)

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Does the coax work connected directly to TV?

4. aovituser

aovituser New Member

May 17, 2020
    Thanks for the info. I'll try the re-scan and report back with results.

5. aovituser

aovituser New Member

May 17, 2020
    Yes it does.

6. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    If re-run setup doesn't work, re-scan, if these fail it's likely the signal strength is to weak.

7. aovituser

aovituser New Member

May 17, 2020
    I verified the reception of the signal coming out of the coax outlet. Plugging a cable directly into a TV, I was able to scan and find all available channels. No issue with channels glitching.

After connecting the coax cable to the roamio OTA, I tried rescanning the channels with no success. I then reran guided setup. I first selected antenna as the source. After the guided setup completed, the correct channels appeared in the channel list, but no content would display. I then reran guided setup and selected cable as the source. I selected the no cable card option and tried multiple cable providers with no success.

I have used multiple TVs to scan the programming provided by my apartment. During the scan process, all of the TVs have the option to scan for analog/antenna or digital as the source. I have to select the digital option in order for the TV tuner to pick up the channels. Given that information, should the roamio OTA be able to pick up the channels provided by my apartment? Or do I need a cable card to pick up the channels? Or can I convert the signal provided by my apartment and then send the signal to the roamio OTA?

Some additional information... when using a TV tuner to pick up the channels provided by my apartment, the channel list that is generated matches the channel list that is generated by the roamio OTA when using an antenna. For example, channel 3 - 1 is the same using both approaches. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You have a strange problem. I would say it's impossible, but you can't make this up.

Unless you have cable service please don't talk about cable cards.

What are the call letters of the channel 3-1? If you don't know, what is your zipcode?

Do you know about PSIP? If so, a TiVo does not use it. A TV does. You posted that your TV has the same channel numbers as the TiVo. That should be impossible unless your apartment does some alteration of the channels.