convert avi to tivo to transfer from pc to tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bobster954, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a lot of movies I would like to watch on the tv through tivo. They are on my computer.
    Obviously mpegs, avi, etc are not recognized by the tivo desktop or other software.

I have been searching for an official tivo program and cannot find one to convert them..

anyone got any programs they use? (cannot believe tivo cannot play avi...lol)

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can use Tivo Desktop to transfer .mpg and .tivo files if they are in the "My TiVo Recordings" folder. To get .avi and other files, you would need to buy the $25 Tivo Desktop Plus.

I had been using TDP for some years but then it quit working. I now use PyTivo and get more file such as .mpg, .avi, .mkv transferred by pulling from the Tivo side, or pushing from the PC side.

You can benefit from PyTivo as well. Its free to use and not as buggy as TDP. PyTivo is unofficial program, but TDP is official, there are also others, such as KMTTG, PyTivoX for mac.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    This is completely untrue. Galleon can transfer MPEG2 files including .mpg and .TiVo files. pyTivo can transfer a phenominal number of video formats to the TiVo. It does so by transcoding, when necessary, to MPEG2 on the fly. It can also push files as well as have them pulled, and in push mode it can transfer .mp4 files as well as .mpg files natively, or once again it can transcode on the fly. The progam vidmgr is an excellent plug-in for HME for Python that serves as a phenominal fornt end for pyTivo. On HD displays, it supports cover art and sports a display of up to 14 titles (vs 8 for the NPL) at once.

Forget about anythng "official", (although the SDK is certainly officially supported). TiVoDeskTop is the only software sold by Tivo, but it is pathetic.

I'm using Galleon, pyTivo, vidmgr, and kmttg. I'm using VideoRedo TV Suite version 4 to edit the videos and to recode them to .mp4 in many cases.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There are lots of free programs for doing video conversions. The one I use most of the time is "Videora TiVo Converter". It will convert to mpg, which other people have pointed can be seen by a TiVo via TiVo Desktop, even the free version.

(Don't tell me to use pyTiVo. I'm still on Win2K. While I would like to convert to Win 7, I currently have other priorities for my very limited disposable income)

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The free version of Tivo Desktop will work just fine as long as the video files are .tivo or .mpg. In most cases, if you have .vob files you can manually change the extention to .mpg and the Tivo will recognize it.

For any other file types (.avi, .mp4, etc.) it's best to go with the 3rd party applications mentioned above.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    pyTivo will run fine on a python installation in Win2k Pro. I ran it for years before moving to XP where I still am. pyTivo is free so no drain on your limited funds.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I went through the installation procedures, including installing Python 2.7. and this was the result:

I executed pyTivo.py from within windows. All I got was a brief flash of a command prompt window.

Tried to go to "http://localhost:9032/" and Firefox cannot establish a connection.

Opened a command prompt, changed to pyTivo directory, entered "pyTivo.py" and received the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 11, in <module>
    import beacon
    File "C:\pyTivo\beacon.py", line 12, in <module>
    from plugin import GetPlugin
    File "C:\pyTivo\plugin.py", line 9, in <module>
    from Cheetah.Filters import Filter
    ImportError: No module named Cheetah.Filters

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Tried removing Python 2.7 and installing 2.4.4. Boy , was that a bad idea. When I executed pyTivo.py, I got a complaint about a missing dll that kept coming back and eventually hung the system. Took a couple of reboots before I got back up. At this point, I'm just gonna wait until I can afford to buy and install a copy of Win 7 before I try pyTivo again.

9. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    jeebus...all this makes me feel like when we were trying to build a portable computer to play mp3s in the car back in 1998...what a trail and error pain.

I think I will just buy a wdtv to watch stuff I already own...insanity. So not worth it....yikes.

10. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I think I missed something.

You had a misunderstanding about playing movie files on a Tivo and you were corrected. Are you trying to say thank you in a kind of joking way?

11. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I'll defer to others, perhaps you should post this in the pytivo forum. Looks like you are missing part of python or pytivo in your install. wmcbrine would recognize it quickly.

12. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Folks tried to give you information to allow you to accomplish what you asked. You said you were looking for software to transfer your existing mpegs and avis to tivo. pyTivo you were told would do exactly this.

If you think the wdtv is going to do a great job for you...please go get on and use it. Good luck with it recording any TV shows though...

13. chemosh6969

chemosh6969 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    And that's not how you run the program. There's a readme file. You should read that.

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since I have read the README, and I must be doing something wrong, please provide me with the benefit of your vast experience and obviously superior knowledge.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    :confused: Gee... that works for me! (In a normal Windows Python install, the .py extension is associated with execution by Python.)

16. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Same here. I have a simple shortcut on my desktop that simply calls pytivo.py

It launches a cmd window with pytivo running in it. What readme are you referring to? The wiki also results in an executable .py extension. I do not use nor recommend the pytivo as a service method although it works for some.

17. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    really? That is what you got from my comment? Let me clarify for you so you are not offended and understand there is no insult...and clarify what wdtv is.

1- going through the fun of a new program like pytivo, setting it up and learning it...not fun for me.

2- having to take all of my movies and convert them to something tivo can read is not anything I would undertake.

3- I was simply asking about adding the .tivo container to the avi/mpeg/etc since the program I have takes it off in a few seconds. Figured there might be one that went the other way.

4- since tivo cannot read extra drives, nor understand my files, and I do not have enough room on the drives, I figured I would check out wdtv.

5- wdtv, as far as I can tell, is simply a player. You add your drives full of movies and it connects to your tv to view them...which is all I wanted to do in the first place..

so...go through all the re-rendering of multi gig files to temporarily move to tivo or just add a drive to a 80 dollar player.....

So I just said...jeebus, all that extra work and aggravation, I might just use the wdtv instead.

There was no insult. No 'I hate you' for telling me about software you use.

Hope that clears up your misunderstanding about my intent in saying I would maybe prefer going an easier, less technical, and extremely faster method....although the cost in money is more, the cost is time is way less. I ordered the wdtv after seeing someone use one.

WDTV is not a tivo...it is just a player of your files, outputting to a screen or tv, that is all. I do not think it records either...just a player.

let you know how it works when i get it.

18. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    no, just saying re-rendering all my movies just watch one on the tivo seemed like too much work. Reminds me of all the stuff we went through way back when to make a mp3 player for the car in 98...(only worked for a bit, got too hot..lol).

I was hoping there was a .tivo container program that would only take a second or two to add it....as kmttg strips the container in that quick a time.

Unfortunately, it looks like there are certain specs needed to be met and requires too much work for me to do it....so I am opting for an easier way without having to re-render or modify tons of very large files..

Was just tired of watching some shows on the computer screen...lol

thanks all. Sorry if you got offended or misunderstood my intent.

have fun.

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Anyone who would build a computer to play mp3's should find setting up pyTivo a pleasant little diversion. Provided your current PC isn't from 1998 (i.e., doesn't get bogged down doing the on-the-fly transcoding) the functionality playing back your videos via pyTiVo should easily rival that of a WDTV, and $80 cheaper. Which approach is more hassle remains to be seen and depends a lot on luck and your abilities.

20. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    You're still misunderstanding. There is no work. A little setup for the system as a whole, then it's just (from the user's point of view) playing the movies.