1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling new Samsung speaker bar with TiVO remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Teddydogno1, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    I have a Roamio XL that I bought used about 2 years ago. It is working great. I also have one Mini that I also bought used (early 2nd Gen, I think).

Today I installed a Samsung Sound Bar (K460) to replace using the speakers in my 3 year old Samsung JS8500 TV. It connected easily and automatically to my TV using SoundConnnect. Sounds great. My Logitech remote worked without any changes to handle the volume changes on the Sound Bar.

HOWEVER, my TiVO remote which was already also programmed to handle power and volume functions on Samsung TV does NOT control the speaker. I tried adding a different code for "A/V" setup but the 3 that "take" don't work. The other code, which I have read usually DOES work, won't "take": 1304. Pretty sure my remote is not a "learning" one as the process to enter that mode does nothing.

Next I brought down the remote for the Mini, which had been set up in another room for the Mini and another Samsung TV. THIS remote works to control the sound bar without any changes. So I'm guessing the Mini remote may be newer and have updated Samsung commands?

The bad thing about this swap is the the Mini's remote works, but seems to be sluggish or maybe less powerful. Had to be pointed right at the devices to work with them. while the remote that came with the Roamio is very "generous" and works much better.

Any thoughts on this "remote situation"? Both remotes look similar, but Roamio is shorter and a little less glossy.

Rob

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio does not come in XL flavor, only a Plus (1TB) or Pro (3TB) (6 tuner, cable only)

Tivo remote code that work by using the code displayed on Tivo and the sequence to set the Vol and Mute. What Tivo does not tell you is that using the Tivo + Pwr and that same code would set the power on/off.

3. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Sorry for the wrong name...been a while since I shopped TiVO. It is a Pro 3TB 6-tuner unit.

So is there a remote that will have the power/range of the Roamio's remote and also the expanded Samsung codes? (I know that this is probably difficult to answer with assurance given the limited info I have available).

Rob

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Roamio remote would be operating in RF mode while the Mini remote would be working in IR mode unless you pair it with the Roamio in RF mode.

Scott

5. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Is there a TiVO Remote guide somewhere that shows all of the remotes, their capabilities and how to identify them?

I am looking to pick up a Slide Pro to use for downstairs which should hopefully control everything there with the good performance of the Roamio native remote.

Rob

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    For whatever it's worth, I have an earlier (I think) Samsung soundbar model, and have it successfully paired with my TiVo remote.

It seems that the TiVo remotes sometimes can have issues in being set up. A nuclear resort would be to reset the remote completely and start from square 1.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Installation_Setup_Configuration/How-to-Perform-a-Global-Reset-for-my-Remote-Control

From what I have read, it would be rare for Samsung to switch to a new code. But, if worse comes to worse, a Slide Pro remote, with learning capability, would solve the issue (I needed to do that with an earlier television).

I don't know that there is a comparative chart for the various TiVo remotes. Although I did find the following cursory info. on the Slide Pro remote, including some tips. Set up the TiVo Slide Pro remote control

A Slide Pro remote, as versus a standard TiVo remote, adds: remote code learning capability (for the TV power on/off, volume, mute, and input buttons), from another remote; an illuminated keyboard (when the surroundings are dark); and a slide out alphanumeric+ keyboard, with directional and search buttons. The Slide Pro remote also is heavier in the hand (but still comfortable). Note that the Slide Pro remote has not been updated to do voice/VOX (which it should be, as well as adding a few extra keys for personalized functions).

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Any Tivo remote would only have Power, Vol -/+, and Mute programmed for the specific TV and sound device. Everything else is to Tivo only and not programmable.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You forgot Input.

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I didn't (see above). ;)

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    ;)

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was looking at post 7. My error for not using quotes. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    (Just joshing you. ;) )

13. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    This sounds strange as I have a Samsung TV and soundbar that connect via bluetooth whenever I turn the soundbar on and the TiVo remote will adjust the volume the same as the TV. I don't believe I did any additional programming of the remote to accomplish this.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That is probably using HDMI-CEC. WHich is how I have systems setup. The TiVos only control the volume/mute on the TV. But with HDMi-CEC it controls the volume/mute on my receivers and speaker bars as well.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    That's the odd part to me. My Logitech remote just worked without changing anything. I'm guessing that the sound bar is accepting the same signal as the TV. When I use the Logitech to adjust the volume, the on-screen display shows on the left with Vol - and "Samsung HK-450 sound" or something like that and the volume on the sound bar goes up or down.

The TiVO remote, which USED to work, now does nothing for the volume adjustment. It used to work fine for controlling the TV volume.

Maybe now that the sound bar is connected to the TV, the TV is ignoring volume related signals and the sound bar is processing them and pushing that info back to the TV. And the TiVO remote is not sending one it understands, so nothing happens.

Maybe the Logitech is using the "code set" 1304 (or equivalent) for Samsung which both Sammy devices understand, but the Roamio remote won't take this code so it isn't sending something the sound bar understands.

Next question, while I wait for a Slide Pro to pop up with an affordable price...would a VOX remote be an upgrade for me and also work with the sound bar? Would the Roamio Pro work with the VOX natively, or at all?

Rob

16. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Also, I COULD hook up the sound bar to the TV using either HDMI or Optical if that would improve things. Does that make the TV respond to the volume change request and push that to the sound bar? That's what I thought would happen using SoundConnect (wireless Samsung hookup).

Rob

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's my setup with a Samsung TV and Samsung soundbar, using optical. Volume on my TiVo remote (as well as the TV remote, and also a remote for a connected Samsung Blu-ray player) changes the volume on the soundbar (I seem to recall that I went through the TiVo remote setup for the soundbar, but I may be wrong and the soundbar connection may have occurred by itself, one way or another--that is, on the Samsung side and/or on the TiVo side). I'd give it a try.

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Try 0305

19. HKoytch

HKoytch Loving TiVo

Oct 13, 2014
    Maryland
    With my Samsung TV and HW-F550 Sound Bar (Anynet connection), volume works fine and so does the OFF function to power off both TV and Sound Bar. The ON function only turns on the TV and not the Sound Bar. Its weird and I haven't found a way around it so I'm forced to use the Sound Bar remote to turn on the Sound Bar. Turning on the Sound Bar with its remote does not turn on the TV.

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    You might want to check your soundbar manual. My Samsung TV turns the Samsung soundbar (connected by optical cable) on automatically, when the TV is turned on--the feature is called "Auto Power Link."* This feature is set to on by default. If your Samsung TV and soundbar have that feature or the equivalent, could it have been turned off (or never been turned on initially, by default or otherwise)? (Interestingly, turning the TV off does not also turn the soundbar off--instead, the soundbar turns itself off after 5 minutes of lack of signal (things are a bit different when the soundbar is in AUX mode).)

If that doesn't work for you, the TiVo remote's TV on/off button also can be set to turn both the TV and the soundbar on and off. How to turn off TV and receiver with Tivo Pwr button (there are various threads here on this). Note: if your Samsung TV is set to turn the soundbar on when the TV is turned on, you may want to avoid setting the TiVo remote on/off button to turn both the TV and the soundbar on, as you then could get a conflict, with both the TiVo remote and the TV sending an on/off command to the soundbar, with the result that the soundbar turns on and then off again--in my case, I've only set my TiVo remote on/off button to turn the TV on, and then the Samsung TV turns the soundbar on under the Samsung side of life.

I hope that this helps, one way or the other--let us know.

* From my Samsung soundbar manual:

Auto Power Link
    Auto Power Link automatically turns on the Soundbar when the TV is turned on.
    1. Connect the Soundbar and a TV with a digital optical cable.
    2. Press the (Source) button on the right side panel or on the remote control, and then select
    “D.IN”.
    3. Press the Left button on the remote control for 5 seconds to turn Auto Power
    Link on or off.
    •• Auto Power Link is set to ON by default.
    (To turn off this function, turn off Auto Power using the Soundbar.)
    •• Depending on the connected device, Auto Power Link may not function.
    •• This function is only available in the “D.IN” mode.

HKoytch and kpeters59 like this.