control TiVo HD with remote from Starchoice DSR505?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tvmaster2, Sep 12, 2011.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I have a Motorola DSR505, which is a Starchoice / Shaw Direct branded sat receiver.
    I am trying to find a code (3 digit based on all the ones in the guide) to control basic functions on a TiVo HD unit.
    The remote is a model URC550, and doesn't note any dvr control in the guide. However, I have heard certain codes may substitute for controlling the TiVo.
    Anyone have any luck with this setup? There is a "find-code" mode, but it's glugey as he'll.
    thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Are you trying to use the satellite receiver with the Tivo HD (TSN begins with 652)? It cannot work with any satellite receiver, only cable and/or antenna.

If TiVo is not listed as one of the brands listed for your remote then it cannot control the Tivo.

3. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    no, I am trying to control my TiVo HD by using the quasi-universal remote that comes with the DSR 505. TiVo is not listed, but it is listed on one of the 'sister' remotes from Motorola....thought there may be a VCR code that worked

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Try a Philips VCR code. It works for non-Sony Series 1s, and so does the S2 peanut, and I think the S3 remotes will run an S2, so maybe it's all the same command base. Of course you'll probably have to experiment to find out which buttons do what to the TiVo.

6. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    thanks...this is what the remote looks like:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/images/support/downloads/dvr530_remote.pdf

but, the manual that came with it, and the internal workings support the codes associated with the URC550 (3 digit codes), which does NOT include a tivo code.

looks like Motorola took spare parts and made a combo remote.