Control Moto STB Power from Tivo Series 2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ksills, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ksills

ksills New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I have Verizon FiOS TV with a Motorola Set-top Box (STB), and Tivo Series 2. Tivo serial port control of the Moto STB works perfectly. However, occasionally due to a power glitch or some unknown gremlin, the STB turns itself off (actually in stand-by mode awaiting an IR "on" command) and then ignores all serial commands from Tivo and all Tivo recordings are just a black screen until I manually turn the STB power ON.

I have two questions:

1. Can the Tivo send a "power on" command to the STB just prior to any channel change? If yes, how can this be done?

2. If the STB is in this stand-by mode, will it recognize and act on a power on command from the Tivo?

If the answers to #1 and #2 are both yes, then I have a solution to my occasional problem.

Thx, Ken

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    There may be a setting in the Moto STB to control how it responds due to power failure.

3. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    Most boxes will also turn off if they get an update from the home office. If this is a 2500-series box then I think you're out of luck as they don't have discrete on & off codes, only a toggle.

4. lostman72

lostman72 New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Central...
    Buy a cheap UPS. You can find them on sale for about 60 bucks